Have manjaro-pipewire installed by default

an incomplete Flatpak package is no reason to impose a beta audio server on all users
I suggest you contact package maintainer on Flathub regarding missing dependencies

obs-studio from Manjaro community repository requires pipewire but does not require pipewire-pulse and pipewire-alsa to replace PulseAudio packages

I masked PipeWire systemd units because they do not respect disable command and I use OBS with ALSA, JACK and PulseAudio sources, same as usual

Users who want to replace PulseAudio with PipeWire can install metapackage manjaro-pipewire
But users who find out that PipeWire does not meet expectations cannot revert back to PulseAudio easily because manjaro-pulse does not work and there is no script to deal with systemd units to revert changes from script created for manjaro-pipewire

2 Likes

What incomplete flatpak package? I have the example of easyeffects and OBS as two examples of flatpak packages that need it and I’m sure many more need it or at least need the system packages installed for flatpak itself also I never said on this post that you had to switch to pipewire, you just need the package installed for it to work correctly. You even mention that the OSB package in the repo (which is completely broken right now btw) requires it negating what you said anyways.

Ah I see.

This isn’t a post about replacing pulseaudio or not, this is simply a suggestion/help post mentioning a missing dependency which is needed for flatpak and by extension flatpak packages and I just want to help fix things and improve where something goes wrong or doesn’t work quite right, bug reporting is my jam in a way :slightly_smiling_face:

The idea behind FlatPak and Snap is that all of the dependencies would be included as part of the package. So, as @nikgnomic says, it is up to the maintainer of the OBS Studio FlatPak to ensure that their package includes Pipewire.

Yes and it does but flatpak itself still requires system packages outside of flatpak to function on the OS properly

Oh by the way I forgot say thanks for letting me know about jamesdsp, I’ve actually never heard of it until now :grin::+1:

There is a Manjaro respin that has all Pipewire packages; easyeffects; flatpak and libpamac-flatpak-plugin preinstalled
DeLinuxCo Workstation resurrected - #5 by DeLinuxCo

You could boot a live ISO of the respin and test if OBS flatpak works any better with PipeWire

That’s cool but I don’t really need to do that, it’s working now after installing manjaro-pipewire even tho I am using pulseaudio

I think this is going nowhere, you want manjaro-pipewire meta package to be installed by default because when you use Flatpaks it doesn’t work without it. Manjaro team tells you they will not add meta package for third party programs to work properly, it is on you to install what it needs if you find a third party program requires a system package. You still want manjaro-pipewire to be installed by default because your Flatpaks require it. Rinse and repeat.

What about other Flatpaks that require other system packages to be installed? We make a list of system packages Flatpaks, Snaps, and AppImages require and we add them all to all Manjaro ISO in case people install third party applications?

1 Like

All I did was make a suggestion since Manjaro supports flatpaks, even if they are 3rd party I’m sure Manjaro and thier users would want their packages to run correctly on the OS. Manjaro should have the needed dependcies installed if they want to support flatpak and snap for example.

Maybe it is an oversight on the Flatpak package itself then, but I was summarizing the situation, maybe if your angle of attack is about a Flatpak dependency, that could go forward, but I don’t think insisting on the fact that “if people use Flatpak they probably would want `manjaro-pipewire’ so we need it by default on Manjaro” will certainly not go without ruckus.

PS: installing this meta package will switch users to using Pipewire by default. Maybe work on the specific package required for Flatpak and maybe try the “missing dependency” route then.

2 Likes

Although this topic completely drifted from the title and turned into support request… it is actually not a bad idea. Pipewire is more modern and feature rich than pulseaudio. I actually made the switch because of my bluetooth headphones.

1 Like

For sure pipewire should replace PA in the near to medium term future, but when that time is will be hard to predict.

I think inside flatpak and they use pipewire also no it doesn’t, you can have both manjaro-pipewire and manjaro-pulse installed and it wont switch to pipewire so having it installed for flatpak doesn’t change anything on your system.

Installing manjaro-pipewire definitely switches the user to Pipewire, this is why this package was created.

No.

Also, I don’t really understand what you tried to write, this is non sense to me.

Well I have both installed and I’m using pulse audio so yeah it doesn’t do that haha and I can confirm it here

pactl info                                                       ✔ 
Server String: /run/user/1000/pulse/native
Library Protocol Version: 35
Server Protocol Version: 35
Is Local: yes
Client Index: 33
Tile Size: 65472
User Name: corey
Host Name: corey-rogstrixg512lug512lu
Server Name: pulseaudio
Server Version: 16.1
Default Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo
Default Source: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo
Cookie: 2a2a:b244

I’m talking about flatpaks internals packages in they might use pipewire for audio.

Lets get back on topic, I believe installing manjaro-pipewire is a harmless necessity to fix flatpak on Manjaro and no people don’t have to use pipewire with pipewire being a more modern audio system to replace pipewire in the future.

Installing manjaro-pipewire still switches users to pipewire … whether or not you have done something afterwards to switch again, such as installing manjaro-pulse, etc, does not change that.

but it doesn’t also I haven’t done anything afterwards, I just installed the manjaro pipewire package because flatpake needed it and it’s still using pulseaudio. You need to remove manjaro-pulse for it to switch to pipewire.

This output tell us only that you use pulseaudio. It has no info about pipewire. Show us to confirm that you have both installed:

pamac list --installed | grep -E 'manjaro-pipewire|manjaro-pulse'

Sure

pamac list --installed | grep -E 'manjaro-pipewire|manjaro-pulse'                                                                                                                                   ✔ 
manjaro-pulse                                    20221015-2                  extra