Have I got xp-pen artist 15.6 pro install preparation right?

Hi :slight_smile:
Hovering over purchase button for this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Artist16-Graphics-1920x1080-pressure-Adjustable/dp/B07BLVW598/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&keywords=XP-PEN+Artist15.6+Pro
Really need a lighter device for painting, as have had right shoulder/arm issues for a few weeks … hoping it goes away, but need to adapt things just to be sure.

So far, I can see there’s a Linux beta driver: https://www.xp-pen.com/download/index/cid/36.html, and there’s a thread on Digimend where people are saying they’ve got it working: https://github.com/DIGImend/digimend-kernel-drivers/issues/221 … a bit confused by some points, and I’ve wrecked systems before trying to sort graphics devices/calibrate, so if I may check if I’ve got this right:

1. remove AUR digimend drivers and reboot, with Ugee unplugged

2. install wacom drivers and reboot? (one person on Digimend using evdev initially, but later in thread people referencing wacom drivers worked or used wacom drivers to tweak/calibrate … nobody referencing XP-Pen’s linux beta driver)

3. install XP-Pen beta linux driver and reboot [instructions I found here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2401732" the script and the program aren’t set executable. Open a terminal and enter:
_cd ~/Downloads/Linux_Pentablet_V1.2.3/ _
_chmod +x Pentablet_Driver.sh Pentablet_Driver _
./Pentablet_Driver.sh
_(change to the directory with the driver, set the executable bit for the two files, execute the script) _
If you want to start the Driver from your Desktop Environment, you’ll have to create a ‘.desktop’ file for it and put it in ‘~/.local/share/applications/’.
Video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=034UyEMJVRwincase useful for anyone, and shows about mapping buttons and mapping to screen … also shows need to keep the driver window open/minimised.

4. add the 1st .conf file the Digimend thread references [after ‘xinput list’ and find right numbers] and reboot

5. trust that using ptxconf will take care of the monitors/calibration issue (let it be so, lol), or need to look at the 2nd .conf file noted on Digimend thread, and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Calibrating_Touchscreen [not sure how to get right numbers, but can understand other steps]

Hello,

As far as i can tell, what you gathered seems correct and logical, well documented, but i can’t confirm from first hand experience, but technically looks legit :slight_smile:

Most arm/shoulder issues are because of the posture when drawing and the large hand movements in an awkward way, that is why i changed the interface in GIMP too, so the unnecessary movements of my hand are not present, but all are efficient and natural, so the “effort” goes only to drawing itself. If you tend to lean forward on the tablet, that will put pressure on your neck muscles and the shoulder will try to adjust, making the tendons to have a rigid state. In time, that creates pain that goes to the arm. I hope you get better soon.
The cintiq 22HD i have is 15Kg, is quite heavy, that is why i mounted it on a ergotron arm and i can place it so my posture is a correct one, my back is well supported by the chair, and my view is right on the middle of the tablet, without leaning forward. My point telling you this is that a smaller device or lighter is not always easier, as you still need to make it steady, and it doesn’t move around freely when you don’t want too, so by keep adjusting it all the time, you actually make more effort :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks bogdancovaciu. Really helpful post, and thank you for confirmation about install documentation, and for good wishes about health. :smiley::+1:t2:

What you say about the shoulder trying to adjust, and tendons becoming rigid, makes total sense … I have one tendon stuck right out, very clearly, on the right side of my neck. It’s a real relief to understand about how the body compensates, and to be able to take action to correct it!

How you’ve sorted your Cintiq 22HD sounds great; glad it works well for you. I have an ergotron arm, and had tried it a few weeks ago, but I realise now that I hadn’t placed it correctly … now I know how to place it, I’ll do it again. Good point about that the little device would always be moving round. Excited to try the new posture placing! Thanks so much again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The ergotron I have is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IWOBGI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?psc=1 … unfortunately no matter what I do, I can’t get it lower/into the position needed.
Which one do you have? One that you can pull down really low and that hangs over the edge of the desk, nearer to body?
Watching the LX desk mount video, it looks like the right position can be achieved …

LX%20desk%20mount

I think (just a guess here) that the maximum that can bend is around 40 degrees, so is not much. Probably you could place it lower, on a side of your desk so will not be quite as for a monitor, but you could use it for your tablet …
Mine is the one in the video you posted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great idea :slight_smile: but the silly thing just won’t budge, lol.
I thought it must be that one that you have! Bye bye £120, lol … but hello no more sore neck/arm etc. :smiley::+1:t2:

It must have a regulator (made trough a hexagonal key) to losen it up a bit, that doesn’t have to be very tighten screwed in … It leverages a spring inside, so you can adjust it on angle without falling down by the pull/weight of the mounted monitor/tablet on it. It should work at least 40 degrees (by the way it looks).

1 Like

There was a long key (somewhere!) but I think I originally set it as low as possible, if I remember correctly, but I can’t get it any lower than 5.5" above the desk now, no matter how much I push on it, lol.
I’ve ordered the LX that’s in the photo, the same one you have; was really glad to see in the video how the monitor can be positioned very low … even how he has it positioned in the image is great, and that’s without lowering the overall height via the short pole at the back of the desk … yay :smiley::+1:t2:

1 Like

Probably is at the maximum bend position, that is why i recommended to mount it differently, but maybe is not worth the trouble.

Is a really good choice, very good build, just pay attention to the mounting instructions and don’t bend it without a monitor/tablet mounted on it. Is quite strong :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks bogdancovaciu :slight_smile: I should have said that it was attached to the nearest corner (to my right) on the desk … even trying to move it fully down and outwards, the 5.5" gap is there, so I think it’s reached it’s limits, as you’re rightly saying.

The LX looks really suited to putting a graphics tablet in a lower and nearer position. Thanks for advice about it. Sounds great about the build quality … these should last for many years! :smiley::+1:t2:

1 Like

Just to update that the LX arrived and is wonderful … thanks for confirming it’s the one you use and very good for posture. Much appreciate. Being able to have the Ugee close and nearly touching the desk is making all the difference. :smiley::+1:t2:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by