Has solus OS more packages in their repos in the meantime?

I haven't had a look into Solus for quite a time but checked out the latest Budgie here in Manjaro.
I last had a look, I believe in beginning of 2019, and the problem was at that time that their are relatively few packages in their repos.
Has this changed recently?

Anyone using Solus here? - Your experiences?

1 Like

I've been experimenting with Solus in a virtual machine. I've found that they typically have enough software to do everything I need, but they don't always have the software I want to use to do it.

Move to #other-os. Since this have nothing to do with manjaro or linux general.

Solus is Okay OS. If you don't mind the idea of some the stuff is taking away your freedom of choice. Like GNOME 3 desktop is Xorg only. Period. There clams on GNOME wayland is not up to there standards. So it not going be supported for the time being.

1 Like

I ran a laptop on Solus for a couple of years on a laptop as a long-term test. I used it for a year and then my wife used it for a year.

I found their repos to be more than adequate for casual use. Are they as big as Manjaro repos+AUR? Not even close.

For me, Solus is the closest thing to a traditional Linux distro that can be used purely graphically. I deliberately tried to use it without a terminal or TTY and I was generally successful. I think for a casual user, it is excellent.

For a power user who like to customize, I think there are better distros. Like with any distro, it is all about use case.

When I find someone who wants to try Linux but is the type that just wants it to work and it doesn't want to worry about the details, I usually recommend Solus.

6 Likes

It's friendly until and unless you want to add/install it to a non-uefi multiboot machine but don't want it to control bootloading of the whole machine.

It uses its own bootloader and its kernels aren't found in /boot. When you update-grub from another distro, they may not be able to generate a proper grub menu entry for solus as a result.

Added:
So it works best when it's the only distro on a machine. Like dalto says, better for non power users.

Come to Slackware. ELILO and his insane cousin LILO want to say hi to you! For this reason I have Fedora on the same laptop and only allow grub to manage booting.

Uhh...it has never done that for me. I have always had to install updates manually.

It doesn't use it's own bootloader. It uses systemd-boot. The kernels are in the efi partition as normal for systemd-boot. You can always chainload it with grub if you want that.

But once again, just like every distro, it isn't for everyone.

2 Likes

I will be withdrawing that reply, I did some research and apparently I ASSumed that what they meant by “required updates” was updates that were necessary for the system to function, not mandatory updates. I guess wording has a lot to do with it. Looks like I’m gonna have to time travel to 2018 to slap newbie me in the face. Brb.

1 Like

I'm sure by now. There using systemd-boot. Using a custom script to control it (efibootmgr + script). This will make it 3rd bootloader change for uefi. I'm sure there still using grub for legacy bios.

On the subject of wacky bootloaders, Project Trident once automatically installed rEFInd on my project laptop, for what reason I don’t know. Needless to say I spent many an hour changing that. I have no clue how to use it and I wasn’t about to learn, I wanted my dual boot! Wound up changing to Fedora as the DB manager.

Isn't refind's claim to fame how good it is at multi-booting? In my experience, it will boot almost anything.

I don't use uefi on my pc.

I have tried fresh installing version 4.0 most recently. Previously I installed 1.2 on the same machine but thought I'd see if the installer and bootloader thing had improved.

Same Non-uefi, mbr machine: nope, during installation where I chose to have it take over main grub duties from manjaro, it started to install bootloader then gave me an error msg partway through. It borked up my mbr partition and I had to repair manjaro grub. The rest of install went thru though so solus 4.0 does exist on my machine.

I've been booting into my solus partitions since ver 1.2 by a custom grub entry. After every kernel upgrade in solus I redo the symlinks for kernel and initrd so that the custom entry can find it.

I have had solus in some form or other on my machine since it was still called evolve os.

1 Like

I’ve never used it enough to know. I suppose I could give it another try one day. My goal was a dual boot between Trident and Slackware. Keep in mind I had no clue what rEFInd was at the time, all I knew was Trident had placed some strange bootloader on the machine. I’m used to grub, so I got spooked. I substituted Fedora for Trident since I knew Fedora used grub. But hey, now that I have more patience I may revisit Trident and rEFInd.

Edit: You know something @dalto, you’re actually very inspirational. Now I can’t stop thinking about rEFInd

:alien:

Those are some seriously interesting choices. A serious old-school distro combined a lumina-based solution. Was that before or after Trident switched to void?

2 Likes

After the switch to Void. Big advantage to Trident is it automates most of the Void install process and sets up ZFS and encryption for you while retrieving the latest Void packages. Saves time while remaining pretty close to normal Void.

My theory was I would run Trident most of the time, but if there was ever a problem I could fall back to Slackware, which is known for stability. Plus I’m a sucker for KDE 4

1 Like

I will have to check it out. I used it before the switch but haven't tried it since they moved to Linux.

I am not active in that community but that must have thrown the existing user base into chaos.

1 Like

Do change the bootloader. refind did not give me a kernel option to pick from one if there was ever a crash. Witch did happen to me. Since there using void repo as will. Void support uefi grub.

1 Like

it announced its dead on distrowatch on Monday one of the shortest Linux projects ever.

TrueOS The TrueOS project has been dormant for several months and the team has now announced that the project is officially being discontinued. "With a heavy heart, the TrueOS Project's core team has decided to discontinue the development of TrueOS for the foreseeable future. We'll still be heavily involved in other Open Source projects like FreeNAS & TrueNAS CORE. We're incredibly proud of the work we put into TrueOS and its predecessor, PC-BSD. TrueOS source code will remain available on GitHub for others that may want to continue the work that we started so many years ago." People who are interested in rolling release varieties of FreeBSD and desktop flavours of FreeBSD may be interested in exploring the closely related GhostBSD project.

Um ..
Trident != True ?

Trident Project github is still active. But this is only about TrueOS. A little misleading. Since it old BSD if you include pc-BSD history parts.

https://distrowatch.com/dwres-mobile.php?resource=showheadline&story=10738

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by