Hard drive Installation problem with encryption

Hi, I’m trying to install from manjaro-gnome-23.0.1-230911-linux65.iso.
When I’ve typed encripption password, calamares doesn’t see nvme disk, than I cannot install manjaro.
Screenshots attached

Hi @Uzzi,

It looks selected to me:

https://i.imgur.com/dY9XiVi.png

First I select /dev/nvme0n1

Then, after flagged encription and typed password—>

I think somewhere someone is misunderstanding or something. I’m unsure. But the /dev/nvme0n1 is the hard drive and according to Calamares it is 0B in size, if I understand it correctly.

I don’t use encryption, I’m quite happy with my ext4 thank you, so I might be wrong when I say I don’t think Calamares can install on an already encrypted partition. AFAIK, it must be installed on an unpartitioned, drive for encryption. But as I say, I don’t use encryption, so I don’t know. Perhaps @Aragorn can help you, since he uses it, AFAIK. At least he’s more experienced than me.

calamares see /dev/nvme0n with 1.8Tb, after typed encription password /dev/nvme0n with 0Tb

Nope, I don’t use encryption. This is a desktop computer, not a laptop, and if anyone can break into my home and steal my computer, then I’ve got bigger problems than what’s on my drives, because then my computer won’t be the only thing they’d steal. :wink:

You’re probably getting mixed up with the fact that I use btrfs, even though there too I am not following the default practice of creating subvolumes. I use physically separate partitions instead. :wink:

My bad. I confused LUKS and BTRF appatently.

Same.

Once again, same.

So, in short, sorry bro. But if anyone else can be of assistance, please do so!

1 Like

Having the output of inxi -Fazi from the live ISO & running the installer with debug options (calamares -d) option can shed some light on the environment it is run from and might present a possible solution. Please post both as formatted text.

Local Storage: total: 1.83 TiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%)
  SMART Message: Unable to run smartctl. Root privileges required.
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 maj-min: 259:0 vendor: Crucial model: CT2000P5PSSD8
    size: 1.82 TiB block-size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 63.2 Gb/s
    lanes: 4 tech: SSD serial: <filter> fw-rev: P7CR403 temp: 23.9 C
    scheme: GPT

There do not seem to be any glaring errors in the log that calamares generates. The drive seems to be picked up. In the screenshot where the drive is listen as 0B the screen is not completely visible. Are you able to proceed with the installation?

The output of the inxi command is not complete, can you post the full output? ( if worried about leaking information, inxi hides machine identifiable information)

I cannot proceed with installation

This is complete inxi output:

The laptop seems supported.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Laptop/Dell

However

This page tell us

Pre-installed in some regions with a custom Ubuntu image that takes advantage of the system’s hardware features and may include additional software. Standard images of Ubuntu may not work well, or at all.

Some searching what this entails could help find what could be the issue.

1 Like

I’m using manjaro on this laptop since 2018.
I’ve changed nvme 1tb to 2 tb, than i need a clean installation.
It’s first time with this problem

Well, that is useful to know… it is helpful to share as much info as possible, we were playing a guessing game…

Check if the new drive is working as intended.

• The journal might give some insight about the drive and its health.
  • Can you partition the drive using gnome disks when in the live iso, if not, what kind of feedback do you get

I’ve tested nvme on other manjaro desktop. I’ve create and cancel partition successfully with disk utility and gparted

sudo smartctl -i /dev/nvme0n1          2 ✘  manjaro@manjaro-gnome 
smartctl 7.4 2023-08-01 r5530 [x86_64-linux-6.5.1-1-MANJARO] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-23, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Read NVMe Identify Controller failed: NVME_IOCTL_ADMIN_CMD: Input/output error

Fixed adding nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0 pcie_aspm=off on live iso boot options

Than I’ve installed Manjaro, but fdilesystem si instable, ro aftewr few seconds after login

I do not have expertise with smartctl & harddrive testing, but going from the output you posted this seems a hardware problem. If the OS decides to switch to read only it signals there is something wrong. Posting relevant journal parts why the filesystem go’s read only would help others diagnose the behavior you experience.

I’ve fixed change nmve ssd crucia P5+ to Samsung 990Pro and I’ve installed manjaro fine with encripted Luks

Thank you

1 Like

Ah that is good to hear. I’ve had the something similar a few years back with two kingston nvme drives and switched to a samsung 970.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.