Hard Disk Drive disappearing when being accessed by steam/updating steam games

Hi, im having a issue with my 500GB Hard Disk, everytime I boot I sometimes either have it unmounted, or its basically gone. I do not know why this is happening, on bios its always there on Kubuntu it was always there but only on manjaro i have to face this issue. If anything is needed I will provide the information ASAP. Kind Regards.

You mean the Library in Steam disappears? Or you mean the disk is not accessible on the system?

If it is from Steam, it can be because it is not mounted when you start Steam, or a Steam bug (my Steam library had this bug, twice already since last month, where my secondary library disappears from Steam for no reason, and I have to add it back).

If the disk disappears from the system this is not normal, then check for journal errors.

It dissapears in the whole system, not unmounted gone, I do not know how to check journal errors, if you could provide the command that would be helpful.

journalctl -b0 -p3 --no-pager

Do i do that command when its present or when its not?
And this is what came out journalctl -b0 -p3 --no-pagerSep 23 17:18:51 fqrums-manjaro kernel: x86/cpu: S - Pastebin.com

:no_mouth:

A lot of filesystem errors. You need to check the HDD and the filesystem.

View SMART Info:

sudo smartctl -x /dev/sdb1

Check Filesystem:

sudo umount /dev/sdb1
sudo fsck.ext4 -p /dev/sdb1

Cannot believe that “Kubuntu” just ignores that…

Also this:

kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdb1): ext4_validate_block_bitmap:390: comm ext4lazyinit: bg 127: bad block bitmap checksum

Badblocks which are not known by the filesystem.

Run this to detect badblocks and add it to the list:

sudo fsck.ext4 -vcck /dev/sdb1

(That can take a long time.)

Question what am i supposed to do with the smart info?
And the fsck thing tells me to run without the -p

Read it and understand it or post it here for investigations. You can see the raw values there and detect physical hardware errors.

I know from my memories that my hard drive had alot of issues with windows, green screens games causing the green screens etc. i later knew that these were bad sectors and they could be fixed with just 1 format… So it had some physical hardware errors in the past but only in manjaro does it not work…

No… it will not be fixed by that. On Windows you have fast and full format as I remember. Full format takes longer, check for badblocks on creation. You can do the same with ext4 aswell. Badblocks are physical errors, so the file system will avoid these sectors then.

1 Like
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR-K   200   200   051    -    12

Not bad, but can be fixed by avoiding badblocks, as I said. Here are more information: badblocks - ArchWiki

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    -O--CK   200   200   000    -    4

That happens on connection errors. Most cases the cable: heat, dust, loose contact.

Anyway, the HDD is usable, but starts to die.

1 Like

So Ill have to clean the hdd and clean the cable and the check and thats it?

No, smart data is a fixed log. The failures on the log will not disappear.

So, if you want avoid creating the partition, use this:

It is like chkdsk, which also checks sectors.

Im currently doing it, once it finishes ill clean the insides of my pc and then ill report to you if my HDD works :slight_smile:

Looks like it didnt help as much, my only options is to format? I know that formatting recognizes the bad sectors and blocks them…

Why go through so much trouble with what is clearly a failing drive? It’s just going to cause more issues down the road. Replace it. If you have data on that drive that you don’t have a backup of, copy as much data as you can off that drive before more goes bad.

2 Likes

I have had the drive since i was 4… I am probably gonna start saving up for a replacement anyways better use it until its dead! i dont have that much data on it anyways I always back it up to another drive (usb) so that i always have a second chance… When it fully dies im getting either a smaller ssd or the same HDD but new…

Sorry, but no, it does not. If you reformat with ext4, it will not detect badblocks by itself. It is just matter of time until it tries to write on a badblock again and the circle begins again.

As I said already:

Read the article and follow the instructions: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Badblocks#Ext4

As I know any graphical partition manager will not use the -cc parameter.

You were right… It just started doing the same thing again
Could you possibly give me a command that re formats it and gets rid of the badblocks?