Handling Arch systems from Manjaro

I understand there are benefits to Manjaro having it's own tools but it seems that compatibility with Arch is on the fall, e.g excerpt taken from the wiki:

Manjaro-tools

All of these manjaro-tools packages are replacements for devtools and manjaroiso .

Where replacement apparently means dropping the later package(s)?, I don't see manjaroiso in the repos and devtools hasn't been updated since early last year

Some time ago I was hoping to mkarchroot, arch-nspawn and arch-chroot into it to mess around but apparently I've gotten an error message along the lines of.. not the same OS
Was also hoping to install Arch systems from a Manjaro live boot.
Right about when I found out there's mkmanjaroroot, manjaro-nspawn equivalents in devtools I also found out about manjaro-tools-pkg which conflicts with devtools and makes this look less redundant:
mkchroot, systemd-nspawn(not from manjaro-tools but is this what should be used)?, manjaro-chroot

This is leaner but is Manjaro now making it's own science in OS tools(which is fine just not very collaborative if collaborative users have to switch OS's and learn something somewhat different for the lack of cross-compatible tools) or are they interchangeable in any way?
What does this even mean(preparing to ditch pacman for pamac?):
pacstrap --> basestrap
What's the direction we're going in regarding this and this fairly new Arch Collaboration?

Also this was fun, the best result of looking up manjaro-tools and devtools via the search:
Arch support on Manjaro forums

check about mhwd for manjaro tools
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Manjaro_Hardware_Detection_Overview

for chroot , use manjaro-chroot -a

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Pacman
and pacman-mirrors and pacman

see @cooter

Manjaro users are quite friendly.

My understanding of the tools is growing - I am not quite there - but the more I learn the more I realize that the way Manjaro tools works is due to the very different end result.

An ISO created Arch tools are more basic and requires every profile to be distinct. Manjaro has separated root, live, desktop file systems in a way that makes it possible to use the same root and/or live configuration and only make changes to the desktop filesystem.

To avoid misunderstandings - name clashing - the tools is named different and the end result is very different.

During the process - perhaps before my adventure into Manjaro - (forum registration more than 3 years ago - and maintainer for around 2) - there has been a name change of some of the scripts - which is referred on the Wiki.

As far as I know the concept of separating the file systems by using overlays is somewhat unique to Manjaro - and it is also the direct source of the countless Manjaro / Manjaro based editions - simply because - when you understand the concept - it is super easy to create your own spin.

1 Like

I'm aware about mhwd, great thing really but this is not really what I was looking into
will manjaro-chroot -a really let me chroot into an arch install tho because they know to be picky
https://gitlab.manjaro.org/tools/development-tools/manjaro-tools says that it just auto detects installs instead of having you specify them.
But I suppose pacman-mirrors will probably allow me to install arch if I just swap Manjaro's mirrors with Arch's during the install or when using something like Architect
I was just wondering if mkchroot could do the same

buildtree -a is the only tool as far as I see that mentions Arch and this will allow me to build Arch packages? but is the way to target Arch itself from Manjaro only via a chroot or can I use the tree in /var/cache?
Afaik unstable is still a bit behind Arch's Stable but buildpkg -b unstable ?
The more I read about the tools the more I'm interested, I'd go for building a package for the AUR and I want to avoid problems
Setting up a local repo first on one of my pc to build linux-lqx and tryng it out on my others

Forum kindly sponsored by