Hallo, new novice noob, newbie and part time fool here

“should be able to handle KDE but it will be kinda os slow”

Where did you get that idea. Been running KDE 4 & Plasma 5 for 3 years now.

On a 7 year old AMD Athlon II dual-core with 4gb of DDR2 ram legacy Ati-4350 driving dual displays.
Runs smooth and snappy. Uses Just over 500mb to desktop. All effects and Apps load quickly and runs fast.

Please stop spreading that Old and Outdated FUD!

@Orbmiser If I use KDE will it give me an edge that I would otherwise learn with a less polished and feature rich GUI DE ??

what about battery life compared to XFCE

Well the Edge for me is customization over the Desktop. Things like apps remembering their size & positions on dual displays. Apps are more mature and feature rich. Dolphin file manager power to behold. Krunner desktop search any file or app or commands to run. Built in theme-ing without the need of editing config files. To powerful control of how many what size and where to put panels on desktop. To powerful widgets giving critical information that can be added to desktop or panel. Kwin for desktop effects. Which many try to add into their lighter DE’s like xfce.

To the integration of phone and devices to desktop. To the apps K3b for handling of CD/DVD media, to Okular best PDF reader. Kdenlive for Video editing. Krita a powerful Digital Drawing & Painting app.

There are many reasons I choose to go KDE Plasma 5. And my first dip into Linux wasn’t KDE many years ago. Back then I was pulling in half-of-KDE frameworks anyways for the Apps which were much more functional than Gnome 2 apps back then. As is many times still the case today.

Okay I got it on Yumi with several other distros I was live testing, hopefully nothing will go while installing since its multi boot and I have several OS’s on the same usb I am planning to install it from.

Still didnt answer how battery friendly it is but that doesnt matter, my mind is set for now. Thx guys.

As for battery, well, recently I was using xfce, than cinnamon, and now kde, I can stat that on my laptop there is no much difference in battery life, maybe in case of kde it is a bit less, but it is hardly noticable + battery applet is the best in kde. :wink:

Hmm, no :slight_smile:

But before I continue, let me first say, you are at the right place. And Welcome here! You said, you want to learn. Good for you. And it is not that much to be learned. For that (more learning, you would need to install Arch) :slight_smile: This post is from one beginner to another. I’m just starting to learn and wast majority of problems I still can’t fix myself. But I don’t worry and neither should you.

… Actually, it can break without you doing anything crazy. But nothing to worry about, let me explain. It can happen, that after update, you may have some problem. It will not happen often, quite rare actually, depends on your system. But it can and at some point it probably will.

Here are few tips to follow: Stay with stable. Actually, every beginner should go conservative stable route. When you see there are updates waiting for your system, don’t start updating it yet. Wait two-three days. Check the forum post about latest stable update, like this one (under Announcement category of this forum):

First thing you want to do is view votes for: "No issues, everything went smoothly. Higher percentage, better chances everything will work after update, less time you should wait. But wait at least a day or two anyway. If percentage is bellow 90-85, wait longer. (let other more experienced users test this update before you.) Read first post, there are usually explanations or guides what to do.

Second, read or skim through the rest of the post from other posters. If some problem they experience happen frequently, chances are, you may experience it also. If you wait long enough, there will be posted solutions what to do in that case.

Third, you want to learn how to create backup of your data. You can manually copy, use some apps, or just copy/save whole hard disk drive or partition to some spare external hard disk drive. One good solution for this is use of Clonezila:

How to backup your system using Clonezilla:

Youtube video tutorial:

What to do after you restore it with Clonezilla:

Fourth - learn how to use tty, actually, you can do this right now, by simultaneously pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 you will find yourself in front of blank, black screen, where you enter your user name and password. To return back you press Ctrl+Alt+F7. You may sometimes need to do this, if your graphic card driver doesn’t loads startx correctly. ‘startx’ is this graphic environment where you see icones, mouse pointer, desktop…

Fifth - always have handy bootable live Manjaro DVD or USB sticks. You could use any other live DVD such as Ubuntu/Mint but Manjaro has some tools others don’t have. See these few great tutorials:

How to save Manjaro Installation when it breaks:

Chroot into your existing Manjaro installation:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader#Chroot_into_your_existing_Manjaro_Installation

Tutorials:

And lastly - good folks here will help you when you get stuck. When you ask for help, usually first thing potential helper will need is an output from code you type in the terminal:

inxi -Fxzc0

It is a good practice, that with your initial question, you add this info.
After that, they will tell you what else they may need from you. For example, if you will have graphic card problem, they may ask you to type this:

hwinfo --gfxcard

And so on. You may need to use previously mentioned tty to do this…

Last tip, once you have created backup, I suggest you try to do a ‘chroot’ thingie, use live Manjaro distro and just boot with it and use upper tutorial to Chroot once into your existing system on computer. (On a second thought, do it twice. :stuck_out_tongue:) Just so you are familiar with the steps. At some point in the future, you may need to do it, so you may as well, do the dry drill in advance.

P.s.
Yay!!!
I just earned new, undocumented achievement on this forum. My long post crashed the forum. I promise, I will start posting shorter posts :wink:

System running slow

I forgot to answer about KDE/Xfce. For beginner is better to start with Xfce. It is more stable and there are less chances that at some point goes something wrong.

Thx for the replies I will go through all the helpful tips tommorow.
@AlManja gonna do some more live testing on both, still leaning on KDE how settings and notifications are presented is really appealing to me.

KDE Plasma 5.8 is considered stable enough to be a long-term-support release.

I’ve tried XFCE and thought its interface felt outdated. KDE has a much more modern interface and theming. It runs fine on my cheap laptop, so it should work on yours.

something went wrong installing it at first time, took way to long to make the new partition so I went to sport and came back and It says something about partition failed or what what what… ill delete all the OS’s on the usb and use rufus this time and try again.

edit : Says “the installation failed to create partition on disk”

KDE breaks more often than Xfce though.

@master_andreas, KDE/Plasma works well even on old computers, as long as you have an SSD and at least 4 GB of RAM.

I haven’t had any problems with it since Plasma 5.2

Start with whatever DE you want! Don’t listen to these fools. Once upon a time there was only KDE, and we all ran it and liked it!

On the serious side, your hardware is more than adequate to get a very good ‘experience’ with KDE/Plasma. However, KDE is a very complete DE and has many settings that can impact perceived performance, so take your time exploring them. There’s no right or wrong way about how you do it.

As for really learning Linux, I recommend either Gentoo or LFS, not Arch or Manjaro, though you will find Arch (by itself) goes a long ways. :wink:

Regards

Yes, KDE looks nicer, it uses much less resources than in the past, and so on…

But just month or two ago I remember KDE upgrades had more problems because of transition from gtk2/3 than Xfce. For someone who is beginner in Linux and Manjaro world, it is my opinion that at least for first install, Xfce should be safer bet, that next several updates will go by without any hick up.

I would recommend s.th. simple if you want to learn GNU Linux.
If you run KDE you can learn its settings and its apps which is quite a lot to learn, btw.
Xfce is more basic, but still most of its settings are done by its GUI.
I would really recommend JWM if you want to get your hands a bit dirty. It is very simple, but very well documented.

Thx for the replies, I did experience some sudden freezes I am not sure what that is atributed to, it also happened on Windows and I think was disk related.

I did manage to fix my last problem by using GParted on Knoppix, had already max 4 primary partitions had to delete one.

If you need more than 4 partitions on an MBR disk, make the 4th partition an extended partition, then you can place as many extra partitions as you need into the extended partition.

Not sure what you are asking, but Manjaro is not Slackware.

It installs cleanly and completely and you are delivered a fully functional desktop environment of your choice. There is Very little remaining setup issues, and most machines work out of the box.

120 gig is plenty for a starter installation. You should be watching the price of disk drives this time of year, as you can get 300-to-500 gig drives for stupid cheap.

That way you could simply pop in a new drive and start fresh without worrying about messing up the windows partitions.

I have a machine very similar to yours that handles KDE/Plasma just fine.

@ben81 Wish I knew that before… now I know. thx.

@jsamyth no I mean lets say getting bike and all you have to do is install the wheels vs a bike and having to learn how to install the chain, handle, seat, bolts and so forth,

Basically I am trying to learn everything as early as possible, I am also trying to avoid using the GUI click to install and want to learn how to do it using terminal for now just to get trully acquainted with Linux without any shortcuts if that makes sense.

An admiral quest…
You probably want Slackware, or Arch. Not so much Manjaro.

But maybe you should at least run a complete Desktop Environment for a while to see where you are trying to get to. Without some idea of where you are going its hard to find your way through the forest.