Hack font being used by default for fixed width on Manjaro KDE Plasma 5.15.80

kde

Since I installed with the Manjaro kde-dev iso, and now have Manjaro KDE Plasma 5.15.80, I dislike the Noto Mono and Hack fonts. It is particularly problematic when I am applying for jobs and the Noto Mono font is used in my CV and cover letter—I much prefer without serifs.

These are the defaults:

I changed the fixed width font to Noto Sans, changed the default style in LibreOffice Writer also to use Noto Sans, and the default font in Firefox to Noto Sans, but on some pages on Firefox it still uses Noto Mono, e.g.:

Is it defaulting to that because Noto Mono is a fixed width font, while Noto Sans presumably isn't? If so, what sans-serif fonts exist that are fixed width? (I've tried a few searches but couldn't find an anser). If not, how can I fix this?

Noto Mono is not a serif font, but a fixed-width font ("console" font).

Your settings look fine to me, Noto Sans is set as the "default" font for KDE (not necessarily for other apps).

(EDIT: OP modified his post after I wrote this one)

The text shown in your second image doesn't look like Noto Mono to me (compare it to Noto Mono here), but more like Hack.

What is the default Monospace font you use in Firefox (Preferences > Fonts & Colors > Advanced > Monospace)?

Hack.

Any suggestions for these, bearing in mind I dislike serif fonts on screens? Cantarell looks good enough, it doesn't have serifs. I think I prefer Noto Sans.

I for one really don't see the point of this thread you can set any font you want you can even install Ms fonts,
Personally i feel you should use a different office suite that is more based on office, WPS fits the bill with Ms fonts, that is only my humble opinion others will of course disagree

2 Likes

Without knowing how that font is being applied to this specific page you're referring to, it's going to be difficult to troubleshoot further. We can only make guesses as to what is going on with that page.

If (just a guess) the page uses monospace as the font, why don't you change the option shown in your first posted image from Hack to something else and restart Firefox to see if the font in the specific page has changed?

Yeah it's OK now, I've changed the fonts:

Sorry, should've stated that in my last comment.

Here's another example, now that I install WPS, Hack is the default font in the UI of WPS Writer, although Calibri is the initial font:

Why is Hack the default font in most apps? In other Manjaro kernels, desktop environments and versions, this hasn't been my experience, IIRC. Worse, I can't see how to change this in the Font Management System Settings Module, and after changing the fixed width font to Noto Sans:

I really don't understand you should be able to set any font you want to use as default using KDE perhaps you are looking in the wrong place.

Neither Hack nor Noto Mono are serif fonts (or have any serifs for that matter, except possibly for one or two letters like "I").

Email

Are you writing the cover letter as an email in Firefox? The Font preferences in Firefox is only for text on web pages where the font is not defined or only defined as a Family (i.e., Proportional, Serif, Sans Serif, or Monospace). Whenever a web page has defined a font, then Firefox, with the help of some part of the OS, will try to match that font as exactly as possible. If you or your recipient have that font, then Firefox will display the text with that font, otherwise it will show it with the closest match. Thus even if you view some text in Noto Sans, that is no guarantee that your recipient will.

In addition, there are two formats for emails: plaintext and HTML.

If you use plaintext in your email client (e.g., gmail) then there is no support for changing the font, and it will show the text in some font that the email client decides (i.e., your recipients client will decide at his/her end).

If you use HTML in your email client, then you can change the font, and it will work like on any other web page, described above. There is support for embedding fonts in HTML, though I have never heard of that being supported for emails.

Office Documents

Are you writing the CV in LibreOffice? Which format? If the company wants them in doc[x] or something similar, then it is really scary for being 2019. You (they) should be using PDF, which will embed the font you are using in LibreOffice Writer. So no matter if they have the font or not, they will see it in that font, and the document will be as identical as possible.

GUI Fonts

LibreOffice (Java)

LibreOffice is a Java application. It probably has a setting for GUI font and I doubt it follows KDE (Qt) font configuration. It might follow GTK[2/3] settings though: System Settings > Application Style > GNOME/GTK Application Style > Font. If nothing of this works and you really want to change the fonts of Java applications, then this might work.

As for the font in the document it self, it should respect whatever you choose in the font drop-down menu or set as default for the current template being used.

KDE

The fonts in the KDE System Settings dialog that you have shown are for KDE Applications (Qt), and does not apply to Firefox or LibreOffice. I would recommend against setting fonts in incorrect families (such as Sans Serif font as Monospace), it will make stuff look incorrect (monospace is used to align stuff up correctly).

Conclusion

Try to use PDF as much as possible since it will embed the font you use. For email try to use a popular Sans Serif font that you like and hopefully the recipient will see it closely resembling the original.

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response!

Yes, not saying they are serif fonts, but there are serifs for l, i and j. Other than that I guess it's not too bad. Hack may look better than Noto Sans Mono since there are less serifs.

I use Protonmail, which supports changing the font, but the default is Arial, which is fine.

I often write the cover letter in an email or in the field for that on a job board, but sometimes on portals like Taleo or other sites, you have to upload the CV with a cover letter. So I write the cover letter in LibreOffice Writer, export it as a PDF, merge it with the CV, and upload it. (I use an online CV, so combine the two via Word is more problematic.) Some recruiters do request for word CVs, e.g. so they can copy and paste text; I guess if I need to I'll write a doc CV.

This is on Noto Sans 10 which should be fine.

Fair enough, this did occur to me, ~but I'll change to Noto Sans Mono now that you mention it, as well as for Firefox.~ Noto Sans Mono is apparently not a Monospace font as it isn't listed in the monospace fonts for Konsole. So I've changed it to Hack. It looks like the Monospace font family defaults to Hack, at least in Libreoffice Writer.

WPS Writer uses Source Code Pro in its UI, while Falkon uses Hack. But I don't plan to use either, really. Konsole and Visual Studio Code use Hack by default. But I'll just use Default monospace, which is Hack, in them, and defaults in other programs.

1 Like

Ok, if your recipient is on Windows you can be pretty sure any of the ProtonMail fonts will be avaiable, I have not used MacOS enough to know how the situation is there. However, unless you install those fonts in Manjaro, they will be matched by something else, e.g., in my setup Arial is matched by Open Sans.

I think the situation will be the same for other web pages and office documents: you can't really be sure that they see what you see. The best you can do is to use PDF as much as possible and try to stay within the font families (since your recipient most probably will).

This is probably due to Ligatures. I personally set the Fixed width family to a Ligature font in the KDE Settings panel then select Monospace in Konsole which handles the Ligatures fine (e.g., -> turns into an arrow).

You might already know this, but you can check what XDG Font config falls back to (when it does not receive the setting directly from the program), i.e., matches, with fc-match. For example for me:

$ fc-match arial
OpenSans-Regular.ttf: "Open Sans" "Regular"
$ fc-match monospace
IosevkaLigature-Regular.ttf: "Iosevka" "Regular"

You can also configure this by creating a file $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig/fonts.conf, or globally /etc/fonts/local.conf.

With contents similar to this (higher matches stronger, so configure to your liking):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>

<alias>
    <family>sans-serif</family>
    <prefer>
      <family>Noto Sans</family>
      <family>DejaVu Sans</family>
    </prefer>
  </alias>

<alias>
    <family>serif</family>
    <prefer>
      <family>Noto Serif</family>
      <family>DejaVu Serif</family>
    </prefer>
  </alias>

<alias>
    <family>monospace</family>
    <prefer>
      <family>Noto Sans Mono</family>
      <family>Hack</family>
    </prefer>
  </alias>

</fontconfig>

Update with fc-cache.

See here for more information.

2 Likes

Thanks again! I used your file, and only swapped the Monospace order. Iosevka looks like you might be able to have almost no serifs: there are character variants for i and l without any serifs, but the j still has a serif. But I can't be bothered to figure out how to configure it in my current situation, so I'll just stick with the above file, although I did add it as a last line to monospace and commented it out.

1 Like

It is just an example to get you started, put your favorite fonts at the top of the families.

Yeah, I really like Iosevka with rounded characters and made a personal version.

You're welcome, glad I could help!

1 Like

Cool, have you got a link to your Iosevka fork?

1 Like

It is not a fork, it is just a custom "build plan". I do not think I am allowed to distribute it without the whole source (i.e., forking the whole repo and more). Please see this instead.

This is the custom design I use (swap any character variants to your preference):

design = ["sans", "ligset-haskell", "cv02", "cv04", "cv08", "cv12", "cv14",
          "cv17", "cv19", "cv20", "cv22", "cv26", "cv29", "cv32", "cv35",
          "cv37", "cv40", "cv42", "cv45", "cv47", "cv49", "cv51", "cv53", "cv54"]

The only problem is, that it is a bit time consuming and you have to install the build dependencies (they are available either from the repos or AUR though).

Otherwise, this is IMHO, some of the best Monospaced fonts I have found over the years, you might find one of these to suit your taste (I have not used all of them extensively, they include previously mentioned fonts, and they might contain serifs that you dislike, but just thought I give you a list):

1 Like