GTK programs all take 25-30s to launch

Hello, I run 6.1.38-1-MANJARO x86_64 on Cinamon and started to have the following problem since I switched by GPU from Nvidia to AMD: all GTK apps (and Firefox) have a delay of 25-30s to launch whereas they used to launch instantly instead.

In case you wonder, it’s not my computer being slow - I have Ryzen 5600X, M2 SSD and 32GB RAM and everything has always been incredibly snappy.

I read that this could be caused by dbus timeout, but not sure how to fix it. Thanks for your help!

Sounds like the reported-for-months-bug of xdg-desktop-portal-gnome, which should not even be installed on other desktop environments.
Remove it … replace with xdg-desktop-portal-gtk if you want a portal.

2 Likes

Worked like a charm, thanks!

Just an FYI, removing xdg-desktop-portal-gnome will definetly fix the issue, but keep in mind that if you use Flatpaks, there are some that require xdg-desktop-portal-gnome, it’s a bit of a mess. Should this happen, it is best to downgrade xdg-desktop-portal-gnome to 43.1 and ignore upgrades on that package until they figure it out. Read more here: Upgrade from 43.1 to 44.0 on Arch blocks initial render of GTK apps for minutes (#86) · Issues · GNOME / xdg-desktop-portal-gnome · GitLab

Again, removing will work just fine, but just in case.

-John

1 Like

Is this the case?
I understand flatpaks want a portal … but there are some that explicitly depend on the gnome backend?

Yes, when this issue came about and I was researching it for my little Cinnamon Spin, I got caught in a rabbit hole of xdg-desktop-portal!

So;

xdg-desktop-portal-gnome is required by xdg-desktop-portal

xdg-desktop-portal-gnome replaces xdg-desktop-portal-gtk<1.10.0-2

xdg-desktop-portal-gtk>=1.10.0-2 is required by xdg-desktop-portal-gnome

You can verify all of this under the dependencies for the different portals.

It’s a convoluted mess…

But thats not true.
xdg-desktop-portal just depends on any backend.
For example … here I have xdg-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-kde.
See:

$ pacman -Si xdg-desktop-portal
[...]
Depends On      : fuse3  gdk-pixbuf2  geoclue  glib2  pipewire  rtkit  systemd
                  xdg-desktop-portal-impl
[...]

Note *-impl is not an actual package … its just a placeholder for any one of the backends.
(cue issues where inattentive users install gnome automatically because its first alphabetically)
Its true that the gnome portal depends on the gtk portal … but that does not make it a replacement for all desktops, even GTK desktops. The gnome one is meant for gnome and none else.
On desktops like XFCE xdg-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-gtk is the right recipe.
Heres the project info for the gtk variant … which is not dead:

I still dont get where the ‘xdg-desktop-gnome is required’ is coming from …

It’s not required unless it is required…

The package on your system xdg-desktop-portal-gnome is marked as required by xdg-desktop-portal because it provides xdg-desktop-portal-impl that the package xdg-desktop-portal actually depends on.

Its required on your system because its the package filling the requirement on your system.
Not because xdg-desktop-portal hard depends on xdg-desktop-portal-gnome specifically for everybody.

See the output of pacman -Si xdg-desktop-portal above again.
Or the output shown here: Firefox and Gajim take 10 seconds to start - #7 by cscs

1 Like

Ah, well that makes sense now, good explanation, thank you.

Thanks, I’ll bookmark this for the day I’ll need it :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.