GTK file chooser not displaying text correctly on certain apps

In certain applications (currently happening on Boxy SVG, Mockuups Studio and Figma Linux all download from Snap. I installed Figma Linux from AUR afterwards and didn’t have this problem so this may be Snap specific) the GTK file chooser shows boxes instead of characters, nothing is readable. Here is a screenshot:
< I was going to put a screenshot here but can’t post links since I’m new here >
Does anyone know a solution for this?
I have researched before asking this question (I hope I didn’t miss anything while searching but I may have) but couldn’t find anything that worked for me. Here are some details about my system, I can provide more if asked:

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.80.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.9.16-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz
Memory: 7.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 4400

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Yes, the problem is most likely specific to Snap. Snap applications are sandboxed, which means that unlike regular applications, they do not integrate with the operating system, and as such, they do not use the operating system’s shared libraries.

The advantage of this containerization is that it makes the application more portable across different GNU/Linux distributions without needing any modifications, but the downside is that the packager now has to include a lot of stuff with the package that would normally already be accessible by way of those shared libraries. And apparently, some things are missing from the Snap packages you’ve installed ─ most notably the support for certain fonts.

I don’t have any clear-cut solution to your problem ─ I myself don’t even use Snap or FlatPak, and the lack of system integration is one of the reasons why ─ but I’m only explaining what the cause of the problem is. Maybe somebody else can pitch in with a possible soluton. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Ah so this is also the reason why GTK and QT apps downloaded from Snap don’t use the system themes. Makes sense, thanks for the explanation!