GTA IV Complete Edition crashes when I try to open it

As I said, just install the package I told you, to enable the proper amdgpu driver if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Didn’t catch that as it is before the game is started. Anyway back to initial thought, as you’re using the old radeon driver, start with using amdgpu driver, and see. Just do one thing at a time to try to pinpoint the issue but this is most likely the issue.

//EDIT: this is also why your other game worked with PROTON_USE_WIND3D as it would run on OpenGL and not Vulkan and why I thought initially what you said was pointing to you not being able to run Proton games.

1 Like

Yes, verifying game data was the first thing I tried, did not change a thing. And no, it’s not an NTFS partition, it’s ext4, the disk where I have Linux installed is literally brand new.

Figured that would be it. Like I said, when I have time I’ll install amdgpu driver instead and try with that.

Alright, just making sure.

Normally, there’s nothing to install as it’s provided by the kernel.

However, there is something that may work.

We have a package called amdgpu-experimental based on Enable Southern Islands (SI) and Sea Islands (CIK) support.

Be aware: Either it will work and you’ll be using amdgpu, or it won’t and booting will fail. Be prepared to switch to a TTY to remove the package if it does fail.

Oh boy… Alright, I’m just going to try it, worst case scenario, if it doesn’t work and I can’t get it working again I can easily just reinstall Linux, I installed just a few days ago, it’s pretty fresh.

I would just be a command from the non working system at worst. If you can come back here tell you have a black screen, and someone will explain what to do.

It did not work, and I couldn’t figure out how to open TTY (I tried ctrl+alt+Fx but nothing happened, I always got a black screen with nothing on it). So I just reinstalled Manjaro and everything’s already back to normal, tbh, working even better than before LMAO.

Hi,
just to be curious,
did you try to run it with lutris?
Most of the games what i have tried run with it and handling is not to hard.

I only had to install lately additional the package proton-qt, that it runs with the Lutris-GE-Proton8-5 settings at → rightclick - configuration - options.

I did deactivate there Vulkan and activated DXVK, or toggle around, if it still doesnt work.
Both activated at the same time caused some lag.
And if it still does not run proper, you can run lutris from a console and see what errors it has.
But mainly, its the easiest setup for games, and it has a lot of install scripts at her page (left side top, that little cross).

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

DXVK is litterally DirectX to Vulkan translation layer, it IS Vulkan.

Anyway, the issue is most likely the radeon driver, not supporting Vulkan which is required to run Proton games properly, as we already established in the thread. Also she has tried Lutris (read first post).

Hi omano
Weird, that you reply where my post was not directed to you.
Also answer questions, what i asked the op.

There is nothing weird here, besides not even reading the first post to reply to a thread.

That’s a forum, expect people to reply. Even the ones you didn’t wrote to directly.

Ofc here is something weird with your answers.
That its the radeon driver so far i see, is only your opinion.
Second she tried lutris only for the launcher.
So why do you open now a a new can with your assumptions and bload the topic?

That’s not only my opinion, that’s what was found in the logs, as per the thread, just read it.

Yes, I did only try Lutris with the Launcher, still, it did not work, I don’t think it would make any difference.

The radeon Driver is not compatible with Vulkan

So the game would not run with Proton unless I use PROTON_USE_WIND3D %command% which, at that point, I just might as well use windows, since it would run better.

You can still try again to manually enable amdgpu as maybe the amdgpu-experimental package created issue, because it enables also some other features (and as you reinstalled we can not check what was the issue).

Just run the command from a terminal to create the configuration files.

Then you would need to edit the file /etc/mkinitcpio.conf with the Kate editor for example, and change the line MODULES=() to add the amdgpu module so it is loaded on boot, like that:

MODULES=(amdgpu)

Then run from terminal the command sudo mkinitcpio -P to regenerate the system boot image.

1 Like

If that happens to not work, and I end up with a black screen again. What should I do to fix it? Just in case.

You should theoretically be able to switch to a TTY for example with CTRL+ALT+F4 and then login with your user, and then remove the changes and rebuild the boot images:

Remove the two config files created

sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf

Open mkinitcpio.conf with nano editor

sudo nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

Remove amdgpu from MODULES=(amdgpu)

Save and exit from nano with CTRL+X (read the bottom of the screen, basically you should press Yes to save and ENTER to validate the filename)

Finally, rebuild the images

sudo mkinitcpio -P

And reboot with command reboot

1 Like

I did get this while running sudo mkinitcpio -P

==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'xhci_pci'
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [consolefont]
==> WARNING: consolefont: no font found in configuration
  -> Running build hook: [plymouth]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-6.6-x86_64.img'
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux66.preset: 'fallback'
==> Using default configuration file: '/etc/mkinitcpio.conf'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-6.6-x86_64 -g /boot/initramfs-6.6-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect --microcode /boot/amd-ucode.img
==> Starting build: '6.6.8-2-MANJARO'
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [kms]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'ast'
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'wd719x'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qed'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'bfa'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'aic94xx'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla2xxx'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla1280'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'xhci_pci'
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [consolefont]
==> WARNING: consolefont: no font found in configuration

It did finish though

#Edit: Found another post that showed how to check if xhci_pci is needed, nothing came up, so I guess that one’s good, don’t know about the rest.

Okay, this fixed the issue, using amdgpu driver made the game open, it’s now running. Though, I have to add, I HAD to use Proton 8, the versions under that one do not work, at least on my particular case, they just make Rockstar’s launcher crash. I haven’t tried experimental, but maybe it could improve over version 8.

#edit: Thanks a lot for the help and the patience by the way, it was really helpful ^-^

1 Like

Experimental is for testing patches and help development, not for daily usage.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.