Grub2 | Secure Boot Bypass and other issues - Update highly recommended

Yes you can use any Manjaro ISO in theory. They should all have the manjaro-chroot tool.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the point if the Bug is only physical exploitable I think itā€™s wasted time to reinstall grub?

Btw I use LUKS on my workstation

My philosophy is that if thereā€™s an update available to a component of my system, then Iā€™ll update it. Maybe thatā€™s why Iā€™ve found myself being on the unstable branch for so long.

You are absolutely right. My goal was to make a stress on certain points.

1 Like

thanks,thatā€™ll save me some download time and bandwidth,
but after reading this thread i think Iā€™ll pass for the moment since i donā€™t dual boot and in order to install Manjaro i had to disable secure boot anyway.

My thoughts exactly!

1 Like

this is part of the commit

Disable os-prober by default due to security reasons.

+GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true"

No idea what the security reasons are?

1 Like

:smiley: Reinstall grub was very easy on my System LUKS / BTRFS:

Need only these 3 steps in Live Env:

~$ su
root:~/ # grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
root:~/ # update-grub
root:~/ # reboot

I understand they did it on purpose, but why this doesnā€™t make sense to me. Iā€™m not a dev OK, but I canā€™t find a reason to have it disabled by default for security reason, especially if now the reasons are fixed. Maybe a Manjaro staff have more explanation but to me it is wrong.

2 Likes

I cannot access to the page.
Private?

You think he is not able to install Chrome remote desktop or TeamViewer even if you text him how to do it?

You may want to edit your post a bit more as thereā€™s more items than those 3 stepsā€¦especially for a beginner to follow along to. My post was only for self-reference sake as itā€™s specific to my setup and wasnā€™t really intended to be copied and pasted by anyoneā€¦

Again methinks that a separate thread should be dedicated to it hint hint mods

Everything is possible I can even tell him command to write over the phone. Heā€™s 70+ though and not very computer savy. Thatā€™s not ideal. Anyway not really the point, it was just one example and there are a lot of people like that.

Donā€™t disregard mailing lists, everyone:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2021-03/msg00120.html

1 Like

I plead guilty, I avoid mailing lists usually :grinning: Thanks for providing more infos :+1:

There are more steps than this

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=GRUB/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

To explain my confusion another wayā€¦

I thought the chroot step to install grub was only for users without current access to their Manjaro installation because grub was broken, and a Live CD was needed in order to ā€œhackā€ into your own computer to fix grub on that machine?

Otherwise grub just needed to be re-installed and updated as root on a working system?

Saw this from https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2021-03/msg00120.html

Currently autogenerating config files for multi-boot environments depends on
-os-prober and has several shortcomings. While fixing it is scheduled for the
-next release

Another thing that doesnā€™t make sense here at all is that without os-prober I didnā€™t even get proper GRUB. So there was no access to GRUB options, different kernels, firmware, emergency mode (whatever it is called) and so on. This all looked like a bug, all black and the small peak window with ā€œWelcome to Grubā€ and nothing else, nothing actionable. My guess is, those things were there but not visible.

So how did the GRUB look like for you when this new default was on?

For me, it wasnā€™t just lack of the Windows options, it was simply LACK OF THE WHOLE GRUB OPTIONS. This went horribly wrong. Luckily, restoring os-prober fixed everything. So why without os-prober GRUB didnā€™t work correctly?

So far it looks we gave some very, very, very wide stretched security threat, almost none existent for most users, as it requires physical access to it and the ā€œfixā€ that broke user space without warning. Itā€™s like a classical case of fixing a tiny issue by creating a huge one for most users.

Iā€™m a bit worried that Manjaro devs are mostly silent about this. I just hope they are gathering data till they take voice in this matter.

At the moment, the topic here feels like an irony. First, on a rolling release we have no choice, so calling for the update is unnecessary. Second, the update will most likely mess with brake user-space, because dual boots are a common thing, plus the lack of GRUB options like in my case.
The topic should be: URGENT MANUAL INTERVENTION AFTER GRUB UPDATE. So users could get acquainted with the topic and decide what to do and possibly fix GRUB by restoring old behavior, because the computer wonā€™t work correctly without it.

1 Like

If new grub version was set to hidden, itā€™s hiddenā€¦ So black screen until system boots.