Grub2 lvm unlock: can this look nicer?

So, first of all, this may be filed in the wrong topic, but I’m not really sure where to put it. Please move as necessary.

With full disk encryption enabled, after the BIOS posts, the user is presented with a pretty basic screen where the password (assuming a keyfile is not used) is entered to unlock the boot partition, after which grub displays and boot process continues. Is there anyway to make this look a bit nicer? I’ve seen other distros display **** feedback while characters are entered, so it does seem like there is at least some level of customization available. I may be imagining it, and I don’t remember what distro it was, but I’m pretty sure there’s been at least one distro I’ve used where this screen displays the distro logo with a password prompt below the logo and centered on the screen. I don’t know what exactly the boot process they used to do this (as I don’t remember what distro… maybe fedora? that’s a complete guess though).

Anyway, question is… can this screen be beautified a bit? Perhaps display a lock icon in the middle of the screen and a password field below? Not necessarily asking for any changes on the dev’s part, unless of course they think this is a good idea and want to run with it… then by all means. But I’m more so looking to see if there’s anything I can do myself to clean this up a bit.

Thanks!

You can use plymouth to make it look more colorful.

hmmm well plymouth definitely installed and I added the kernel hook and splash kernel command, but it’s not affecting the initial decryption prompt. I can confirm that plymouth is running though, as there is a spinner now. Perhaps another setting I’m missing?

Does it matter the order of the hooks? it looks like I added plymouth after encrypt

HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap encrypt openswap plymouth resume filesystems"

Is there anything that plymouth absolutely should not be before?

EDIT: nope, putting plymouth before encrypt did not change anything