LineageOS build on Manjaro, practical or not?

I am wishing to upgrade my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 tablet computer to LineageOS, according to the instructions given here: Install LineageOS on mondrianwifi | LineageOS Wiki. I was expecting there to be a pre-built ROM to install, however in the section Installing LineageOS from recovery the first innocent looking line states:

1. Build a LineageOS installation package.

where Build points to: Build for mondrianwifi | LineageOS Wiki which is a web page of detailed instructions for building the LineageOS installation package for my tablet computer. It includes a list of required packages for the build:

bc bison build-essential ccache curl flex g++-multilib gcc-multilib git gnupg gperf imagemagick lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline-dev lib32z1-dev liblz4-tool libncurses5 libncurses5-dev libsdl1.2-dev libssl-dev libxml2 libxml2-utils lzop pngcrush rsync schedtool squashfs-tools xsltproc zip zlib1g-dev

However these are package names for Debian (Ubuntu) based systems and several do not exist by that name in the Manjaro repositories or AUR. I presume equivalents exist by different names and I also guess it may be a lot of effort to find all the equivalents for a successful build.

Would that be the case?
Hence would it be better to seek another way to build a LineageOS installation package, perhaps by installing Ubuntu to a spare hard disk (that’s all I have), though it seems ridiculous to have go to that extent than build on Manjaro?

[This is my first venture into building a ROM installation package for a tablet computer, so I have no prior experience of this.]

Have you tried AUR (en) - lineageos-devel ?

4 Likes

Thanks for that. It never occurred to me that there would be such a package, I will give it a try in due course.

You’re on the building instructions there, if you want prebuilt you can search XDA to find an unofficial one someone else built!

I definitely give you some points for trying to build it though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, still progressing with my learning on this, it does appear there may be some prebuilt ROMs there, however I noticed there is the last official nightly build ROM on lineageosroms.com:
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (mondrianwifi) - LineageOS ROMs.
It’s an older LineageOS 13.0 (Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow) but that is newer than the Android 4.4 KitKat I currently have installed. I can use it to practice installing a ROM and gain some experience of using LineageOS before attempting my own build of it on my Manjaro system.

Thanks, I might as well give it a try, each time I read through the build instructions it gets slightly less daunting.