Grub syntax error during installation

As said in the title, I had a Grub Syntax error during Manjaro installation.

Erreur Boost.Python pour le job "bootloader".
Command 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' returned non-zero exit status 1.
Generating grub configuration file ... Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.19-x86_64 Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64.img Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64-fallback.img Found Windows 10 on /dev/sda1 Found Gentoo/Linux on /dev/sda2 Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin error: syntax error. error: Incorrect command. error: syntax error. Syntax error at line 282 Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file. Ensure that there are no errors in /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d/* files or please file a bug report with /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new file attached.

Traceback:
File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 444, in run
prepare_bootloader(fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 411, in prepare_bootloader
install_grub(efi_directory, fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 333, in install_grub
"-o", libcalamares.job.configuration["grubCfg"]])

File "", line 19, in

Use first post here.
Remember to start up in uefi.

2 Likes

I get what it does but the problem is that the installation didn't finish. So Manjaro hangs during boot sequence...
Can I just have an installer that works?

I could be wrong, but I don't think GRUB or Calamares are developed by Manjaro. Perhaps report the errors to the relevant upstream projects.

Yeah but I know who made the live-DVD, if you see what I mean... I shouldn't have to post bug reports just to install an OS. Imagine this happening to a Windows switcher?! He is gonna go back where he comes from and never come back...

Sure I see what you mean. However they are both upstream projects. This is not Windows. You don't pick up the phone and call tech support. The way issues get fixed in Linux is by filing a bug report with the projects maintainers.

If one of the devs on the Manjaro team sees this thread and deems it a severe enough problem and it is within their power to correct the issue then perhaps that may happen.

So is it fixed? And how?
Because if it is not fixed, we don't know and we are not helping because we don't know it is not fixed.

Your other points...calamares installer, manjaro grub (It's not upstream..but) ...my comments? that can wait.

No, it's not. The page linked earlier didn't help. The installation didn't finish, so even when using another bootloader Manjaro doesn't start. And the error message doesn't say much. I don't even know where to start...
I definitely hate Grub...

You are asked in that link to provide information if you still have problems.
Start there.

Yup. Me too. If it don't work.
Then I found out it is my fault.
Then I hate myself. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yeah but what informations? All I have is the message above...
Ask any information you would need, if I can give them I will.

Sheesh.. maybe the first post is too long.

efibootmgr -v
sudo parted -l
sudo blkid
findmnt -s
findmnt /boot/efi

That is if you can boot into it (please read carefully, do I need to repeat again?, Okay, do not boot up, but at the boot menu, go to grub prompt......)
If you cannot do this, your installation is completely kaput, not just the boot.

But you can provide information at the livecd OS (if this statement does not further confuse you, and I think it just might) the above output and then go to the file manager and provide the contents of the installed OS /etc/fstab and /boot as well

If you cannot boot to the livecd, I can't help you. I don't do livecd boots from usb. But tell us. All the rest here can.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark