Grub rescue options

I have installed Manjaro KDE with a dual boot next to Windows 10. My system is installed in uefi. After a Windows update, the grub rescue appears. I can start Windows, changing the boot order in the Bios-UEFI menu.

I have consulted different methods to restore grub, from the one that appears in the Manjaro wiki using chroot, to others that advise to identify the correct partition from grub rescue and to complete the process once it has been started. I also have Timeshift installed, and I do not know if another option would be to restore the system to a previous point through this program.

I know there are several threads about this problem, but I would like someone to tell me which is the method to try to recover grub in this case, or the order of options to consider.

Here is the best how too

See the part 2 where UEFI is mentioned and the commands are for such installed system.
Also look at the more difficult part if you have one of those models.

2 Likes

The [Simple First Start] in the link should be enough.
Good luck.

Thanks for the answers. For my dual boot, I used the Windows EFI partition, where I placed / boot / efi. I do not know if this puts me in one of the most difficult cases.

No. It’s okay.

Thank you! As soon as I can try, I’ll inform :slightly_smiling_face:

I just followed the steps of “Simple First Start”, and it worked! Although after running sudo update-grub, I get this:

$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
[sudo] password for fran: 
Instalando para plataforma x86_64-efi.
Instalación terminada. No se notificó ningún error.
[fran@fran ~]$ sudo update-grub
Generando un fichero de configuración de grub...
Encontrado tema: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Encontrada imagen de linux: /boot/vmlinuz-4.19-x86_64
Encontrada imagen de memoria inicial: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64-fallback.img
grub-probe: error: no se pudo encontrar una unidad de GRUB para /dev/sdc1.  Compruebe su device.map.
Encontrado Windows Boot Manager en /dev/sda2@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
hecho

I do not know if the line of error is important, although it seems that it refers to Manjaro’s live usb ?

Looks like everything went well.
But error at sdc1. If that is important, what’s sdc1? If livecd , then fine. No problem.

Take care, cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.