Grub problem with multible distros [Solved]]

Hi there,
I did a stupid thing: i installed linux mint on another partition and the grub bootloader that got installed and fires up at the beginning cant handle the manjaro partitions… so my questions: is there a way to overinstall the mint grub with a manjaro grub? or can i somehow chroot from mint into manjaro to fix this?

1 Like

See this or this.

When booted up to Manjaro, at terminal

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

After fixing it, later on, when booted at Linux Mint, you may want to do

sudo grub-install --force /dev/sdxy

where /dev/sdxy is partition of LM. This is to prevent the same problem from occurring when LM updates its grub.

ps: you did not do a stupid thing. The stupid thing is done not by you.

[edit] - need to use force ‘–force’ to set LM bootloader to partition. corrected above. sorry.

Thank you so much for your help, you made my day!

1 Like

2 Likes

If you did a legacy install, then you have to install Manjaro Grub from chroot (as already shown above) because any ubuntu based grub is not capable of running any arch distros. Plus Manjaro has some tweaks that need some tweaks in grub as well, so the only grub that will work for Manjaro is its own, but on the bright side, it should boot also all other OSes. One to rule them all - Majaro Grub :D.

If you did UEFI install, then you can easily choose Manjaro Grub from your UEFI menu.

Hi there, thank you so much for your help. I made it work again with gohlip s links and advice. great! So i know from now on i wont let any other grub get in the way of manjaro :wink: thanks again!

1 Like

Mark the post that was the solution (there is a checkbox). It will add solved icon by the topic, so others would know that they will find here a solution to a similar problem. You can also edit a topic name and add [Solved] in the beginning.

I couldnt find the solved checkbox ;( I m somehow missing it… i edited the topic name instead…

thank you all for your help guys. This is a really nice forum!! :slight_smile:

It’s just a small square along with other icons on the low right corner of every post. It’s on the left side of heart icon.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.