Grub-probe can’t see my NVME drive

It’s going to take me a little time to work through all that, so you might not hear back from me on it for a couple days- please don’t think I’m just disappearing! Thank you so much for all of your help so far!

I’m pretty sure that the disk I would like to boot from is:

Boot0001* Manjaro       HD(1,GPT,b8c30919-1e6b-834c-adab-fd2bfe44173c,0x1000,0x96000)/File(\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi)

Which should be nvme2n1p1- it is set as the first boot option in my BIOS, and appears to correspond to the install of Manjaro that is not on an encrypted partition- my testing install.

But in lsblk that PARTUUID is identified as pointing towards:

/dev/nvme0n1p1: LABEL_FATBOOT="NO_LABEL" LABEL="NO_LABEL" UUID="A2BF-202B" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="b8c30919-1e6b-834c-adab-fd2bfe44173c"

Which is not the right disk- but it is the disk that I appear to actually be booting from.

When I boot, I do not get the GRUB menu. I get the prompt to enter my luks encryption key. Pressing Esc does not bring me to GRUB, it just fouls the encryption key, forcing me to reboot. If I let it go to the luks prompt and enter my encryption key, I then get GRUB, and if I let it proceed without changing anything I get to the install that I would indeed expect on nvme0n1p1- not the testing install that I originally wanted.

Ok. Let’s see again (it’s a little demanding to remember all the details after 10 days :smiley: )

In your UEFI boot list you have one Manjaro (entry 0001) that is booting the grub from the stable install on /dev/nvme0n1. If I understand correctly. This boots fine and you use it to boot your testing install on /dev/nvme2n1.

The problem for which you opened the thread was that you can’t directly start your testing install. I thought that you used the entry 000A (according to efibootmgr) to try to boot testing install, as that is the entry for the testing disk. Is that right or how do you want to boot your testing install? If you want to create an UEFI entry for your testing install, you have to boot your testing install and run

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id="Manjaro-Testing" --recheck
2 Likes

Sorry about the delay, life got a little hectic for a while there!

I don’t understand everything 100%, but I ran the command you gave me, and it did fix the problem. Everything is booting correctly now.

Thank you for sticking with me!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.