GRUB not showing

I have this problem where, If i don’t turn on my monitor between the following:
Right after boot → Before my pc starts loading grub

My monitor will be black, but i can interact with grub on my keyboard as if it was running. (example: press the down arrow a lot of times and then enter, will run the last entry in grub menu)

If i turn on my monitor before boot/have left it turned on and boot my pc, it doesn’t show, (Just black screen).

This seems to be cross-distro as it happened while I were on Arch linux too.

Maybe i configured something wrong?

2 Likes

modify in /etc/default/grub
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

sudo nano /etc/default/grub 
sudo update-grub
2 Likes

I have the exact same issue.
I’m using manjaro 20.1 cinnamon, and now i installed windows 10 to dual boot.
I reconfigured grub, but that didn’t help. As you said, i can interact with the grub menu while the screen is black.

Same issue on my installation - Manjaro 20.2.
I’ve tried the advice from @stephane, even I’ve enabled the sound on GRUB start (GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1") but no luck. On boot, I can hear the sound and there is the black screen as well. If I navigate with the arrow keys, if feels like something is happening in the background and when I make some combination with them, it redirectes me to the BIOS menu.

Bump for the visibility. Maybe someone more experienced will have additional questions.

@stephane
Thanks for this, it sorted the issue of grub not showing, now I have to figure how to add my windoze drive that I use for gaming to grub to show up again as that has disappeared from the menu…

read some announce

• If you need dual-boot you can reactivate os-prober the easiest with the following command combination in a terminal:

echo GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false|sudo tee -a /etc/default/grub && sudo update-grub

1 Like