Grub Menu not visible after update and nvidia modules not installed

I use Dell inspiron 5577 which has Nvidia gtx 1050 graphic card. I have dual booted with windows 10. After installing the latest update, my system broke and I had to follow steps given here to fix it: Manjaro does not boot after update - emergency shell

Initially, I had booted from live usb using non free drivers and then after opening the terminal and executing

sudo manjaro-chroot -a

I opened up a new terminal and executed the remaining commands which I think did not work as expected and thus I live booted into USB again, this time with free drivers selected. I also made sure I did not close terminal after executing sudo manjaro-chroot -a. Now I have booted into manjaro but have two problems. Would appreciate any help as Im a beginner to linux.

So my problems are:

1. Not able to see the grub menu so that I can select windows or manjaro

2. nvidia module are not installed? please refer the attachment. I use optimus manager and mostly select it to use my GPU, and it had been using my GPU (hybrid mode I guess) before the update but now after the update it is in Intel mode only, when I try to switch, I get this warning.imgur-2021_01_05-22:19:41

I have not monitored that thread, but just for the record, all commands that those people brought up should have been executed within the same terminal as where you chrooted ─ the chroot is limited to that terminal only.

Open up /etc/default/grub with an editor and change the line…

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden

… into…

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

Then save the file and run the following command… :arrow_down:

sudo update-grub

There are issues with the Nvidia drivers, and I’m not going to get into that here because I don’t use Nvidia hardware and because there are plenty of other threads here at the forum already which cover that issue. As the matter of fact, not a day has gone by since the last update that there haven’t been at least five new threads about people having problems with the Nvidia drivers. :man_shrugging:

So, the forum’s search function is your friend… :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your time and reply. I will try to search around the forums and check if I’m able to fix the nvidia problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m bit confused and couldn’t find the instruction specific to my needs. I’m really sorry for being ignorant, but I don’t want to brick my system again by doing something nonsense. I hope you can excuse me.

Actually I have intel+nvidia graphic card so after searching the forums, I realized I would need to install the video-hybrid driver. Now my question is, that should I install the 390xx driver which is shown in the settings manager GUI or should I go with the earlier installed 455xx?

Could you also let me know how can I install 455xx when I’m not able to find it in settings manager GUI.
I mainly do machine learning/deep learning projects which require CUDA/GPU, thus I want to install proper drivers for the same. I’m also an android developer, so if I plan to use emulator then i guess GPU would be required for that as well.

My question is:

1. which version of driver should I install 455xx hybrid or 390xx hybrid?
  2. how can I install 455xx hybrid?
  3. should I install nouveau (open source version) or the proprietary version?

I’m bit confused with this, I would really appreciate if someone could link me in the correct direction and guide me to solve this issue.

Thanks a lot.

With again the disclaimer that this topic is out of my league, but replying to the best of my abilities…

1. Go with the 390xx hybrid drivers.
  2. 455xx is problematic, if it’s even still supported ─ I don’t know, because this is out of my league.
  3. If you need CUDA, then you need the proprietary driver. nouveau has no support for CUDA.
1 Like

Thank you once again for making things clear to me. I think I would require CUDA as my work involves Machine Learning. So I would go with the proprietary driver as suggested by you.

I was just wondering that 390xx seems to be a older version (judging it by the version name) so would it still be recommended?

I thank you again for your reply, I will try to research a bit more from this lead. My main concern is that I should be able to use my GPU while training ML Models and use hardware acceleration provided by my GPU if I want to run android studio emulators.

It’s not an older driver, but it’s a driver that supports older graphics cards than the 455xx driver. It is however fully up-to-date, or at least, as per what Nvidia releases, because it is after all a proprietary driver, and so we can only go with what Nvidia publishes, and when they publish it.

oh I see, then this clears up my misunderstanding. Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey again, sorry to bother. But after trying to install
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee using the GUI Settings manager, I’m getting the following error when I click on show details

Waiting for user input...

Starting

> Installing video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee...

Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf

Has lib32 support: true

Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG

Processing classid: 0300

Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300

checking dependencies...

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)

:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by cuda

:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by nvidia-prime

Error: pacman failed!

Error: script failed!

Like I said, this is out of my league, so I’m afraid I’m going to have to defer to someone else to help you with that. But what I can say is that this issue has been addressed here at the forum quite a lot already in the past week or so, so you should be able to find the proper advice by searching for it.

:man_shrugging:

Thank you for the reply but it seems I managed to brick my system (the thing which i was most afraid of doing).
So i decided to remove Cuda (which required me to remove cudnn) and then I removed nvidia-prime as it was conflicting above. And tried to install the hybrid 390xx, now after rebooting I’m getting this blank screen. Would appreciate if anyone with Nvidia experience can help me out.
Screen pic:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L2efRX7qSxIKEer4UnNEwU25WYkjL-t_/view?usp=drivesdk

Pressing ctrl alt f2 on blank screen does nothing as well

I managed to open terminal and logging In by editing grub menu option and changing the Linux line to rw 3 instead of rw quiet.

Can someone please guide me what to do, I really don’t want to brick my system more by experimenting. I’m new to Linux and i would really like to make it work and get access back to my system, any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much. In case it helps, output of mhwd is attached.
Output:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L6uMLkXvb2KEpOPyCFoLPZwoRrlxK-81/view?usp=drivesdk

Output of mhwd - li -d

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L99znQPMYFq_E6OuW9XyxIy-HAHtolK2/view?usp=drivesdk

I used live usb and removed all drivers and installed free drivers, now I’m able to boot normally.

I also feel dumb that I ignored this post here before: [Support/How-To] Compile old/legacy Nvidia Proprietary Drivers [2020-12-30 Update Issue]

I used it to compile 455 drivers and now things are working fine. Sorry again for the spam.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.