Grub menu no longer shows. Windows 10 and 2nd Manjaro install are both missing in menu

After the most recent update on 8th March 2021, the Grub menu disappeared.
I managed to get the menu to reappear by running the following command

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

and then editing the grub file and changing the following

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE="hidden"

to

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE="menu"
sudo update-grub
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

However both my Windows 10 (on the same SSD ) and my 2nd (backup) Manjaro installation on a second drive HHD do not appear in the Grub menu anymore. They are both on GPT partitioned drives with EFI boot.

After running os-prober I get the following

sudo os-prober
/dev/sda2@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi:Windows Boot Manager:Windows:efi
/dev/sdb5:Manjaro Linux (20.2.1):ManjaroLinux:linux

I can boot into both Windows 10 (SSD) and my 2nd Manjaro installation (HDD) if I choose the appropriate device from the BIOS, but they no longer appear in my Grub menu.

If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated. This exact problem has also occurred on one of my separate machines which is much older, Windows 10 was lost from the Grub boot menu.

From the Known issues and solutions

Manualy add the line GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false to /etc/default/grub
Run sudo update-grub

To fix the grub for finding other OS.

1 Like

I went through this same nonsense! All of a sudden my grub menu disappeared so I had to learn how to get that to show again after months of it showing normally. Then doing what everyone else was probably doing and googling the osprobe solution that was disabled.

What was manjaro doing automatically before that it stopped doing because of this update? What didn’t I configure to avoid this?

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.