Grub legacy

Thanks gohlip for your speedy replies, much appreciated.
I can’t get to this right now but will tonight.
Manjaro was just commented out for clarity in the boot menu while I was chainloading. (when you get to my age you try to avoid as many dough-headed mistakes as possible).

Hmm, still not working. I am a bit scared to put grub2 in the mbr.
Will it pick up my other distros? Not Windows, never use it.
All of the others have grub installed to the root file upon installation of the distro so putting Manjaro grub2 in the mbr will pick them all up,right?
I realise this is a different question from where I started but it follows on, doesn’t it?

I could easily answer Yes, but you would still be afraid.

• Boot to a Manjaro Live media.
  • In live session, start terminal and run update-grub
  • You can check the text output to see which installations are discovered.
  • You can also check the result in `/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Morning.

Can you tell us what things did you do that this is no longer working?
Did you resize or move partitions? If yes, what partition? Mepis?
Can Mepis boot?

What is the typical grub-legacy entry that used to work and what is the typical chainload entry that you now have to use? And that works for other distros but not Manjaro?

Can you do at Mepis terminal this grub-legacy command?

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Do not do ‘sudo update-grub’ as this will make a new menu.lst again.

I’ll continue next post to see if your Manjaro can be booted or if there is something wrong with it.

@AgentS

We cannot do a ‘update-grub’ in livecd OS
Canonical path of cow.
Or what I’d call,“Holy Cow!!”:joy:

@addr

Refer this first post here to get an idea how to boot Manjaro.
But we cannot use ‘configfile’ method as I think you do not have a manjaro grub.cfg.

So at step 4, do only

grub> search.file /etc/manjaro-release  root

Continue with the following…
5. Check if kernels are there

grub> ls ($root)/boot

Is vmlinuz-4.14-x86_64 and initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img there?
If yes continue

grub> probe -u $root --set=abc
grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14-x86_64 root=UUID=$abc rw
grub> initrd /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img 
grub> boot

After booting up to Manjaro, at terminal,

sudo grub-install --no-bootsector /dev/sda

This will confirm if Manjaro is bootable and this will make a core.img for Manjaro without making manjaro default grub nor installing grub. So this is quite safe if you want to continue making Mepis grub-legacy the default. It creates a core.img for Manjaro and then it is easier to boot Manjaro from Mepis (my way).

Another way is do to at Manjaro terminal (commonly done)

sudo grub-install --force /dev/sdXY
sudo udate-grub

I think you know it is for setting grub to its own partition, and if have done this before you can use it.

sudo grub-install --force /dev/sda6
sudo update-grub

But advisable to confirm Manjaro is really at sda6 and not sdb6 with

findmnt /

to show sda6 instead of sdb6.

Let us know if Manjaro boots.

I did not answer this earlier as I want to push out the rest first. Not that I want to ignore it.
But, let’s fix it with grub-legacy first as I think you personally want it that way, if possible.

In Greece we don’t have that. Maybe India? :grin:

Do you mean grub cannot create grub.cfg on live ISO?
OP was just worried and watching grub having found all OSes with probing could ensure it will work if he decided to use Grub2. That’s all!..

Correct. It cannot create grub.cfg in livecd OS.
Even if it does, which OS is it going to be based on? The livecd? Set to ‘mbr’?
Remember, here with the OP, we are all talking about bios-legacy.
And try it! I assure you nothing will happen.

Yes. I agree with this assessment. And partly the reason I think he should continue with grub-legacy.

The other reason we cannot provide assurance that our grub can “will pick them all up” is just simply we cannot give that assurance, with Manjaro grub (and os-prober) modified. You yourself have questioned this and I had long ago, requested some changes in the way we handle intel-ucode.
The ‘new’ grub versions that supposedly handle it may only handle the ‘default’ OS (if specified in a new parameter in /etc/default/grub and multiple initrd files in /boot), but still untested if it can pick up other OS’s (os-prober) with the multiple initrd file in their /boot and specified in their /etc/default/grub. I hope it can work but I’m doubtful.

:grin: Nope, that is a very Anglo thing.
And together with the word ‘canonical’ (phrase commonly used by the catholic church), I find this hilarious. While India may be an English colony in the past (which bankrupted England - Hurrah!!) and still by a majority respected (I dunno why) their old colonial masters, they (India) must be aware of this phrase. But given the religious sensitivities, I doubt this phrase will be used or liked in India.
I wonder if they want to get back their famous Diamond We can steal it back for them and restore their textile factories. :joy::rofl:

1 Like

I assumed that creation of a file is possible on live ISO, even if it will not survive reboot.
Based on running live ISO of course. Just to view the created entries.

Off Topic: we learn so many non-technical info in this forum :sweat_smile:

If you scroll up to the Mepis menu.lst the two chainloaded, Manjaro and Mint are both newly installed and neither will boot. Both will boot with the chainloading entry shown which means does it not that the sda6 and sda3 are correctly stated?
Nothing was changed with the partitioning but / and home were reformatted at installation.
Mepis boots and the Debians boot.
I can do a screencap of the Manjaro boot or grub files if it would help?
I’ll do your grub-intall /dev/sda when I get back.

Does it mean that you did not install grub when installing Manjaro? Not even to its partition?

And

is confusing.
Does any entry for Manjaro boot?
Has Manjaro booted successfully since installed? Even once?

Yes, that is correct. And if your bios does not change sda and sdb upon each boot.
[Which can be the case with only 2 disks and sata cables are fixed with primary and secondary or with ide disks with master and slave jumpers set]
Let’s assume it doesn’t change, from now onwards. I think you are confident on this.

Yes, it is confusing but I get what OP is saying now.
Manjaro and Mint can be booted only with the chainloader entries but not from the “direct kernel” entries. And yes, he has booted Manjaro, but only by using the chainload entry.

1 Like

Here are the boot and grub from the Manjaro partition:
Manjaro%20boot ![

Manjaro%20grub

@addr
Right, If my explanation to petsam is correct, you are already booting to Manjaro and Mint.
Using

title Manjaro chainload
root (hd0,5)
chainloader +1

And here I am trying to persuade you to use

title Manjaro core.img
 root (hd0,5)
 kernel /boot/grub/core.img

When what you wanted from us is adking why booting the direct kernels don’t work.
Is that correct what I think you are asking here?

title Manjaro kernel 
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-4.14-x86_64 root=/dev/sda6
initrd /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img

Then, could this have to do with intel-ucode? “REMINDER”
or with Manjaro grub kernel parameters?

Yes, I believe so

Thanks for the reminder :smile:, but by using chainload (or core.img), the entries will pull up grub.cfg which will have intel-ucode in it.

By using ‘direct kernels’ (if successful), intel-ucode will not be booted up but the kerenl will be booted without intel-ucode but without any problem booting up.
Ironically, chainloader and core.img will then be the better choice instead of dierct boots.
But OP ask a good question --> Why doesn’t direct kernel boots work?

1 Like