GRUB is slow, responds to key presses after 1+ sec (also sometimes gets stuck after boot)

Hello.

I recently got a Lenovo 530S (14", WQHD) laptop and I've been very happy with it. However, I have one small issue.

I have Manjaro KDE on dual boot with Windows 10. I've configured GRUB to only show up if the left shift key is pressed. Whenever I need to switch from an OS to another and I enter GRUB, I'm always annoyed by how slow and unresponsive it is. It takes 1+ second for a key press to register. Here is a video I recorded of the behaviour:

(in hindsight, I should have recorded from further back to better emphasise when I press a key)

Another issue I've had is that sometimes Manjaro won't boot. After the bootloader, it just ends up at a black screen, not being able to do anything (not even switching TTY). Usually I restart my laptop a couple of times and it boots eventually, but it's annoying.

I've used Manjaro before and I didn't have these issues before on various laptops.

At /etc/default/grub, add
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden (or countdown)
(If you want it shown, GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu)
make sure you have
GRUB_TIMEOUT= (suggest 10 for hidden)
At terminal..

sudo rm /boot/grub/grubenv
sudo grub-editenv /boot/grub/grubenv create
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

Now to show menu (if hidden) always use 'esc' key, not other keys.

As for black screen, check your graphics. I don't do graphics but add '3' to linux line of grub to boot to prompt and fix it there. It is better, faster and dont go through graphics in the first place than using 'tty' after the slow boot up. The slow boot may be due to this graphics thing also.

Start a new topic for your graphics if you cannot fix it on your own. let people know if you have dual graphics and graphic card details.
inxi -G
mhwd -l
mhwd -li

It didn't change anything.

inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel unloaded: modesetting 
  resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.0.3 

ok...

OK??
I am seriously considering to stop trying on these grub "mysterious" failures.
We 've been infected from the "King's clothes" virus...

You give up too easily. :smile:
In this particular case, 'ok' means 'ok, noted what you say'.
But as you and I and others do not face this issue and OP "configured GRUB to only show up if the left shift key is pressed" which he/she (ah..'he' then, don't care) don't explain what he did and may cause the issue in the first place (interrupt keys can be set, like complicated fedora grubs) and mess up other things (like grub customizer and fedora grub), I may just not want to go through what the OP did which causes the issue (like I won't for grub customizer); so I say 'ok' ? Got it?

But since you asked, and you're my partner, I have to explain to you.
I won't if you're somebody else.
Happy?

ps: you can ask OP how he configured his grub, if you want.
I can follow it, as strangely I'm a bit free today. Oh.. I've not slept, as sometimes in the last 2 weeks.

There's a nice script on the Arch Wiki that handles the left shift behaviour.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Hide_GRUB_unless_the_Shift_key_is_held_down
I've used it before on a few other machines and I haven't had any issues with it.

ok...

You need additional steps/commands from above. Do this.

sudo mv /etc/grub.d /etc/grub.d.bad
sudo mv /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bad
sudo pacman -S grub
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo rm /boot/grub/grubenv
sudo grub-editenv /boot/grub/grubenv create

At /etc/default/grub, add/change
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
make sure you have
GRUB_TIMEOUT= (suggest 10 for hidden)

Back at terminal

sudo update-grub

Now to show menu (if hidden) always use 'esc' key , not other keys.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.