Grub-install required with grub repo package

Is it a requirement for grub to be successfully installed from within a chroot environment?

Will using grub-install inside of a normal boot break it?

Will it not load all necessary modules?

When one runs grub-install, it installs on currently running system - it uses mount points and efi variables active ATM. That’s why one needs to chroot before installing grub when, say, booted from live media but a wanted target of grub installation is another system - otherwise one will end up with grub installed on live media :smiley:
So short answers to your questions are:
No.
No.
It depends :grinning:

So, what about switching from grub-quiet to grub or vice versa by installing just the package from repo?

Is it necessary afterwards to follow-up the install with a chroot grub-install?

It gives me a complaint about grub-common

~ >>> sudo pacman -S grub-quiet                                                                                     
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: grub-quiet and grub are in conflict (grub-common). Remove grub? [y/N] y

Package (2)      Old Version  New Version  Net Change  Download Size

grub             2.03.0-8                  -29.04 MiB               
core/grub-quiet               2.03.0-18     29.07 MiB       5.73 MiB
  1. I think these packages cannot co-exist because of similar set of files they both provide. And given the fact that the content of these files is slightly different from each other, it has to be done this way. So yes, in general switching should be done simply by installation of another one, that requires automatic removing of currently installed package.
  2. if you’re doing this on a target machine/system, no chroot is needed. Chroot would be necessary if you intended to do it from live media or another Manjaro installation. A follow-up with grub-install --blah-blah-blah is needed if you are switching from one grub to another. If you simply update currently installed one, then most likely - no.
  3. not a complaint but a reasonable query. Just make sure you saved original /etc/default/grub file, because it may contain some settings that you would need later. In fact, pacman usually saves this file during the update, making grub.pacnew from the substitute package, or renaming previous file to grub.pacsave.

Indeed I found my original settings in pacsave. I forgot to backup when switching over.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="mtrr_gran_size=32M mtrr_chunk_size=128M i915.modeset=1 nvidia-drm.modeset=1 acpi_osi=Linux acpi=force acpi_enforce_resources=lax libata.noacpi=1 libahci.ignore_sss=1 scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=1 dm_mod.use_blk_mq=1 intel_idle.max_cstate=0 processor.max_cstate=0 idle=poll fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0 nowatchdog hpet=disable clocksource=tsc tsc=reliable usbcore.autosuspend=-1 rd.systemd.show_status=false rd.udev.log-priority=3 vt.global_cursor_default=0"

There are some special quirks in grub-quiet that need ironing out.

~ >>> sudo systemctl status grub-boot-success.service                                                          [130]
Unit grub-boot-success.service could not be found.

What is grub-boot-success.service?

I use modprobed-db to keep a list of my modules . Also a custom kernel from tk-glitch is installed.

It is strange that when switching back to standard grub my boot times are decreased.

If boot failed you got next boot a rescue-boot and not the -hide- version. finger - crossed :wink:

I would suggest anyone try grub-quiet could make a manjaro 18 live system and test that first, to see if the quiet boot works for your machine.

Many articles using grub-install are in situations people have broken grub, so they use live system to chroot into the installed system and then grub-install to repair it.
So if you are currently in the installed (running) system, no need to chroot into it.

And for Manjaro, if you break installed grub, you can use another approch, as in this forum thread use livecd boot into your system directly and repair grub there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.