Grub hosed, cant start, manjaro/arch guides dont work

Beyond aggravating. Noticed manjaro grub entry vanished booting into windows, tried to restore grub, now wont boot at all, make sit to the manjaro boot and then powers off and restarts the laptop.

Steps

• Boot into live usb (I believe in UEFI mode, but this new lenovo has no option, live does have ‘detect UEFI partitions’ which works and shows old manjaro and windows)
  • chroot into old system:
$ manjaro-chroot -a
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1.  Check your device.map.
==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/nvme0n1p5]
 --> mount: [/mnt]
 --> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
  • run grub install
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Manjaro
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.
  • mkconfig:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg 
Generating grub configuration file ...
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
ERROR: mkdir /var/lock/dmraid
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.
done

I believe it’s the last step. When I check out /boot/grub/grub.cfg I don’t see the ‘menuentry’ s I’m expecting. I can fix the /var/lock/dmraid error by cratin that directory. I’m not so worried about device.map error because my other machine doesn’t have those files. but the unknown device type nvme0n1 is probably why it cant probe for the windows partition (and I assume the Manjaro one too).

os-probe and grub-probe seem to have similar issues.

Any idea what is gong on here?

Is your drive set up in the UEFI settings as AHCI? It must not be set to any kind of RAID.

there are no kernels detected when running the mkconfig…
post output from:
mhwd-kernel -li

you cant have UEFI in an dmRaid

Thank you all so much for your help.

This is a new lenovo laptop. I doubt it’s capable of RAID. But either way I went through each screen in the bios and did my best to look for anything related. Found nothing about disks even and certainly no RAID. I have secure boot turned off, I have TPM turned on.

Here’s the output from mhwd-kernel -li

from outside chroot (just simple USB boot):

Currently running: 5.15.16-1 (linux515)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
linux515

Inside the CHROOT I have the same thing BUT it’s missing the last line showing a kernel installed:

Currently running: 5.15.16-1 (linux515)
The following kernels are installed in your system:

So did a pacman -S linux515, rebooted, back into manjaro, then ran mkconfig again and it found the windows partition. Thank so much. I guess it’s too much of an edge case to expect the Arch wiki or Manjaro grub docs to mention that the output will show Manjaro unless you don’t have a kernel installed. Boy I looked everywhere for this. Thanks so much for your selfless help! You are much appreciated!

you should also rerun the update again, because this looks like you had an interrupted/incomplete update:
sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.