Grub doesn't work and chroot grub reinstall doesn't work (previously: Heads up on system upgrade. Zen to Zen 3)

Plan is to “upgrade system”. Basically build a new computer (new motherboard, new cpu, new ram), but keep old system drives with already installed Manjaro and GPU remains also old for time being (because of the 6800XT availability in EU). Should it work without much fiddling or what could be possible “gotchas”?

Do I need to somehow detect new hardware and install new drivers for new chipset and new network card, or it should happen automatically?

Chipset / CPU
Chipset: B350 => X570
CPU: Zen (1st gen) => Zen 3.

Network
old/current inxi -N: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8168
new will be some: “Realtek® 8125B 2.5G LAN controller” – obviously different driver. Can I do something beforehand to enable this or it’s already inside kernel and should work?
Have (or manjaro automatically did) installed “linux5X-r8168” for the old network chip. But can’t find anything with “8125” in the name. Also have /etc/modprobe.d/r8169_blacklist.conf with only 1 line content blacklist r8169 inside it. Probably the 8125B doesn’t use this 8169 driver anyway, so this can stay?

Drives
Keeping the old ones. Will the UUID’s of the drives stay the same, so the booting and mounting part will stay intact at least from drive part?

This should be pretty plug-and-play, but you might need to jump on the git version of linux-firmware to get full benefits … AMD Radeon RX 6800 Series

Supposedly all you need for this is kernel 5.9+

You didnt mention replacing any drives … so yes.

All in all it doesnt look like you would need to do anything … but you might want to do a thing or two.

1 Like

Like what?

Like use a recent kernel and possibly install linux-firmware-git as shown in the other thread.

Hjelp! It wasn’t that smooth.
Doesn’t enter grub.

I get:

error: symbol 'grub_calloc' not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> _

what now? How to rescue grub?

Boot from recent live USB, chroot, and reinstall Grub. GRUB/Restore the GRUB Bootloader - Manjaro

Might not be easy to boot if the ISO is not up to date or does not have required packages.

PS: my take on your issue, maybe not the solution but I had this exact issue when I updated BIOS and Grub for the boothole exploit fix…

1 Like

OMG OMG OMG… found solution in Manjaro forums. :man_facepalming: @ myself. I have no effing idea, why it didn’t even notice this “manjaro” partition in UEFI before… I guess I did’t even go into this sub-sub-sub-menu before.

MSI UEFI > Advanced Settings > Boot > UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities > Boot Option #1 > manjaro

(before manjaro was #2 and #1 was INTEL NVMEsomething; swapped their places and fixed!!!)

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.