Grub doesn't appear after HP BIOS update

Please read the links already posted by cscs. The answers are already in front of you. :wink:

Ok I think I’m close to solve the problem. I just made a manjaro bootable USB and then I press ESCAPE before the windows logo show up, I choose “boot manager” and then I boot from ou USB key, then I choose the “detect EFI bootloaders” from the manjaro installer menu, and it shows me what is in the picture below. And since then, when I choose the highlighted solution, then it works, and I can login into my real manjaro (with all my data and stuff). The problem is, I have to do that each time I want To boot on linux, so, can I specify somehow my computer to boot from the correct bootloader ?

Why won’t you read the linked threads which tell you how to fix the problem?

According to what I’ve seen, I have to run the bcdedit command and specify the correct bootloader

Please read the thread linked to by cscs. It has three steps (four if you include rebooting).

@chell, just use this.

You can also boot to Manjaro using your method (detect efi bootloader at grub prompt of livecd).
Then when booted. just do one command.

sudo grub-install

ps: it’s painful to see so many asking OP to boot using windows boot.
perhaps 5th column windows advocates? in high places at manjaro? sigh.
Trump had it easy.

3 Likes

I did that like 3 times, and still got the problem

If something changed at windows, do 2 commands.

sudo grub-install
sudo update-grub

Do both if unsure. No harm doing what may be unnecessary.

I did that too, and nothing happened, still got the problem

Do again. It will work.
You did wrong or your system messup up.
Provide the output required in the link if you still cannot get it right.
Or It may be your HP is now tied to windows. Screw HP.

See the difficult uefi setup. Read.

:+1:

& Windows

:smile:

1 Like

The thing is, I CAN boot on Manjaro but by passing with a bootable usb and then select the “detect efi bootloaders” and then select the /efi/Boot/grubx64.efi and that’s it. But I have to do this manipulation everytime I want to boot on Manjaro, and it doesnt bring back the grub menu. So is there a way to specify to my computer to boot from this bootloader in particular ? Oh by the way I already check almost all the threads provided by @cscs and still got the problem.
In fact, when I turn on my computer, the only thing that is displayed at the screen is a tiny message at the very bottom left saying something like “press ESC to enter startup menu”, and if I wait a little bit, boom, windows logo show up

Yes. yes.
I know you can boot to manjaro that way.
Correct.
Now boot to manjaro that way.
Then at booted up manjaro installed OS,
Do sudo grub-install sudo update-grub
If you still have problems, see that difficuuklt section’

The still cannot solve, provide info in the link.
READ>

Try this. After updating your BIOS this could be helpfull.

Edit: I did not mean to update your BIOS. It rather means after updating your BIOS many things can happen. Including beeing MS compliant and have you screwed.

Have you tried my link?

Yes, thank you, I thought that my BIOS settings were alright, but I decided to turn off that legacy boot and disable secure boot, and boom, grub show up :slight_smile: it was the BIOS since the beginning but I didn’t expect it so…
Ok so now the problem is solve thanks to @DunkleCat (I should have paid attention to BIOS settings, but as nobody tells me it was incorrect I thought it was ok (picture above))

1 Like

Guys just find an hour to create and import your own Secure Boot keys as shown here, for example: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide/Configuring_Secure_Boot
It is better than turning SB off I guess.

That’s definitely not a newbie-friendly thing to do, and (IIRC) needs to be done every time you update your kernel or a kernel module (e.g. driver).

But - if you need the extra security for whatever reason, then sure. :wink:

Oh, that’s true if you use refind or systemdboot, but grub’s binary rarely updates and it is enough to sign it only - and as it being a default Manjaro bootloader, it seems to me quite a good decision.

So the problem is that the bios is installing in bios-legacy mode.
Okay… fair enough.