Grub conflicts with grub-customizer

You can try this,instead of the 1st entry,you can edit the file /etc/default/grub the GRUB_DEFAULT to always boot a specific entry,like Manjaro Linux for example would be

GRUB_DEFAULT="Manjaro Linux"

That way it gonna always boot that entry.

1 Like

Thank you…will try that

Already installed grub customizer from source :sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue:
All is ok for now!

1 Like

No GUI alternative as far as I know.

A. The standard way is to edit the /etc/default/grub file. https://www.howtogeek.com/196655/how-to-configure-the-grub2-boot-loaders-settings/

Some possibilities:

1. change the “GRUB_DEFAULT=” line so it points not at the first entry (number = 0) in the grub menu, but at a specific entry (menu line number minus 1)
  2. change the “GRUB_DEFAULT=” line to the “GRUB_DEFAULT= saved” so that it will auto boot the last selected menu entry if there is no manual input before the timeout

These won’t change order of entries but the cursor will automatically be placed over a selected entry by default.

B. Create custom entries in /boot/grub/custom.cfg - with this, you can order your boot menu entries the way you want

• see this whole thread: Creating a new os-independent grub 2 bootloader - Tutorials - Manjaro Linux Forum

• I didn’t use the information within the thread to create a os-independent bootloader but as a guide on how to create the various boot entries in my custom.cfg file

• changes in your custom.cfg file do not need a sudo update-grub. It is automatically read by the /etc/grub.d/41_custom script , and will appear in the grub menu AFTER the normal entries in /boot/grub/grub.cfg (these are the entries generated by sudo update-grub), which is read by the /etc/grub.d/10_linux script. This is because 41 comes after 10

• if you want your custom.cfg file entries to be displayed in boot menu BEFORE the grub.cfg entries, rename /etc/grub.d/41_custom to /etc/grub.d/09_custom (9 comes before 10).

you can use

sudo mv ~/initial/file/location ~/destination/location

Or just use root thunar to rename the file.

2 Likes

Removed by moderator request

How did you deal with these double enteries?
I have the same problem.
Is there a WIKI or Guide how to learn to edit GRUB manually.

Suddenly I also have two WINDOWS enteries on my GRUB after today’s update.

In case they point to different partitions - that’s normal.

Can one of the replies here be flagged as a solution so people like me who have this problem can easily solve it without spending half-an-hour reading this long thread?

4 Likes