Ssh non interactive do not read .bashrc file

Hello,

When using ssh non interactive, how to is possible to read .bashrc ?
For exemple :
I am using nvm for loading nodejs applications. The follwing script is in .bashrc file :

export NVM_DIR="$HOME/.nvm"
[ -s “$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh” ] && . “$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh” # This loads nvm
[ -s “$NVM_DIR/bash_completion” ] && . “$NVM_DIR/bash_completion” # This loads nvm bash_completion

but It is not loaded when I use a ssh non interactive command line like ssh user@host ‘node -v’

Do I have to put this script in another file to use it locally and from a ssh non interactive command ?

Thanks

It is not clear to me what exactly you want to do, nor which ~/.bashrc you’re talking about. You seem to be hinting at a connection over ssh, and therefore I have no idea where you have defined those variables, and/or whether you expect them to also be defined on the remote machine.

This is what the manual has to say about it…

Bash Startup Files (Bash Reference Manual)

6.2 Bash Startup Files

This section describes how Bash executes its startup files. If any of the files exist but cannot be read, Bash reports an error. Tildes are expanded in filenames as described above under Tilde Expansion (see Tilde Expansion).

Interactive shells are described in Interactive Shells.

Invoked as an interactive login shell, or with --login

When Bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists. After reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from the first one that exists and is readable. The --noprofile option may be used when the shell is started to inhibit this behavior.

When an interactive login shell exits, or a non-interactive login shell executes the exit builtin command, Bash reads and executes commands from the file ~/.bash_logout, if it exists.

Invoked as an interactive non-login shell

When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, Bash reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists. This may be inhibited by using the --norc option. The --rcfile file option will force Bash to read and execute commands from file instead of ~/.bashrc.

So, typically, your ~/.bash_profile contains the line

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then . ~/.bashrc; fi

after (or before) any login-specific initializations.

Invoked non-interactively

When Bash is started non-interactively, to run a shell script, for example, it looks for the variable BASH_ENV in the environment, expands its value if it appears there, and uses the expanded value as the name of a file to read and execute. Bash behaves as if the following command were executed:

if [ -n "$BASH_ENV" ]; then . "$BASH_ENV"; fi

but the value of the PATH variable is not used to search for the filename.

As noted above, if a non-interactive shell is invoked with the --login option, Bash attempts to read and execute commands from the login shell startup files.

[…]

Invoked by remote shell daemon

Bash attempts to determine when it is being run with its standard input connected to a network connection, as when executed by the remote shell daemon, usually rshd, or the secure shell daemon sshd. If Bash determines it is being run in this fashion, it reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists and is readable. It will not do this if invoked as sh. The --norc option may be used to inhibit this behavior, and the --rcfile option may be used to force another file to be read, but neither rshd nor sshd generally invoke the shell with those options or allow them to be specified.

Given that I don’t know what exactly you’re trying to do, I hope that the above offers some clarity. :wink:

Thanks for your answer.

this is a similar issue : [SOLVED] Non-interactive SSH login and shell startup files / Newbie Corner / Arch Linux Forums
but in my case, the proposed solution is not working.

What about putting these lines in ~/.bash_profile? :arrow_down:

export NVM_DIR="$HOME/.nvm"
[ -s "$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh" ] && . "$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh"
[ -s "$NVM_DIR/bash_completion" ] && . "$NVM_DIR/bash_completion"

By the way, those were not regular double quotes you used. They were typographical quotes, which the shell does not interpret as being quotes but as being part of the filename or variable name.

This is not working.
.bash_profile is not used in the case of an ssh non interactive.

There are regular double quotes in the script. I checked this.
I don’t know why are a typographical in my first message