[Grub 2.0.4-3] GRUB_TIMEOUT doesn't have any effect. Defaults to 30 seconds.

Noticed this after today's update in VM, Manjaro KDE.

We will double check. Thx for the report.

1 Like

@zbe: We added the following patch.

Please set GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT in /etc/default/grub to the timeout you need.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1273764/comments/39

3 Likes

Thanks. Note that I'm not 100% sure if that is the issue.

Anyway, I have another question; is it better to report such things when you aren't even sure what's the cause/when it's something minor like this or is it better to just wait for testing/stable? Don't want to clutter too much :smiley:

Edit: Just saw your latest reply, will try in a sec.

Edit2: That fixed it.

You can always report. Most likely we will adopt to Fedora patches once more, when we find a proper fix.

1 Like

Another way is to

grub-editenv unset recordfail

2 Likes

I had to specify filename to make it work.

sudo grub-editenv /boot/grub/grubenv unset recordfail

Anyway, it only works for one boot, then recordfail=1 is re-added.
Maybe it's just some weird quirk in VirtualBox like philm's link. I just mentioned it because it worked fine yesterday.

A method to get rid of recordfail is to go to /etc/grub.d/00_header and remove (comment out) the stanza where recordfail is listed. Something like...

#if [ ${recordfail} = 1 ]; then
 # set timeout=-1
#else
  set timeout=10
#fi

At terminal..

sudo rm /boot/grub/grubenv
sudo grub-editenv /boot/grub/grubenv create
sudo update-grub

However, you said..

Anyway, it only works for one boot, then recordfail=1 is re-added.

You may want to see why your boot fails, I think it has to do with the kernel but since this is in the unstable branch, it may be something else too.

recordfail is used by ubuntu to alert users of possible failures but by itself, it cannot identify what this might be. I remove recordfail myself (no.. I don't use any OS grub).

1 Like

Thanks for all the input.

I did try to examine journalctl but couldn't find any discrepancy between booting on stable and unstable branch. I'm probably just too noob though.

I did reinstall whole Manjaro into VM with exactly same results -- fine on stable, recordfail=1 on unstable.

Let's just leave it at that and wait if anyone else will have similar issues. I feel bad as it is for stealing people's time for minor things like this. :smiley:

you aren't stealing time from anyone it is a genuine issue and it affects some others of us too. the update has been pushed to testing and a couple of us have the same grub menu behaviour. I rolled back the update.

EDIT - I've added grub to the ignored package list in pacman.conf so I can keep the working silent grub build on my systems. I don't use btrfs so there's no need to have the ubuntu version for me.

1 Like

I had the same problem, I can use the same workaround but does this mean that GRUB is not quiet anymore with any btrfs system?
If I understand correctly from the launchpad comment even LVM has the same issue.
I missed the previous problem with btrfs (even if I use this filesystem), is this regression worth the change?

Install upstream grub (grub-vanilla). It will be best under all circumstances. Even if you want grub menu hidden.

We can still loose the Ubuntu patch introducing that issue. Then we would be almost like the regular upstream grub.

I tried this grub and could not hide the sparse file error message.

This doesn't help?

Working on revision 4 to simplify things even more.

3 Likes

No I got the feeling that the new grub did not read the grub-editenv file as it did not matter what I set in it.

Be more specific on the settings you try to set. Which variables?

sudo grub-editenv - set menu_auto_hide=2
sudo grub-editenv - set menu_auto_hide=1
sudo grub-editenv - set menu_auto_hide=0

after having tried all combinations in default grub nothing worked.

What's
grub-editenv list

If btrfs or f2fs, you should not have any in grubenv, including menu-hide
To clear,

And in /etc/default/grub, comment out safedefault, if it is there, as per the link.
And make sure there is a timeout style=
This grub's too complicated even for an experienced user like you.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark