Disable gsd-wacom service?

Is there a simple way to disable the gsd-wacom service?

I’ve been mucking around most of the evening and haven’t been able to come up with a solution, I’ve tried adding ‘X-Gnome-Autostart-Enabler=false’ to the .desktop file in autostart but it doesn’t seem to work.

The only way I have stopped it is by deleting (i made a backup first) the gsd-wacom file in user/lib - I don’ think this is the best solution.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

What is the service and file and exact path?
If it is a service you can view i with
systemctl status XXXXX.service
Also to see if a package owns a file you can use
pacman -Qo /path/to/XXXX

1 Like

You don’t. gsd-wacom is part of gnome-settings-daemon which is called by gnome-session.

gnome-settings-daemon is a required component of the GNOME desktop, i.e. it is listed in the RequiredComponents field of /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome.session. It is started in the initialization phase of the session, and gnome-session will restart it if it crashes.

https://manpages.debian.org/testing/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon.1.en.html

See also

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/303178/241008

2 Likes

From memory (not at computer at the minute) In htop the services is simply gsd-wacom, and under the tree the file path is /usr/lib/gsd-wacom/

I don’t think it has anything to do with systemd/ctl.

looking at this article GNOME 3.34 is now managed using systemd – Benjamin Berg

systemctl --user

lists nothing to do with gsd-wacom. Even though when I look through the root files I can find gsd-wacom.target and gsd-wacom.service

When looking through all entries for systemctl (I forget the exact command) nothing under gsd-wacom is listed.

i think it might be for nothing though as the next post says you don’t disable… thanks for the tips though with pacman -Qo, I expect it will be owned by one of the packages mentioned by Yochanan.

Thanks I suspected as much. Perhaps then the ‘lighter-gnome’ package is redunant then? Again from memory they allegedly disable housekeeping, wacom, a11y keyboard and a couple of others. I couldn’t help but notice that they had the ‘exec=/usr/lib/gnome-settings/…’ in their .desktop files. This obviously cannot be right as now the services are in /usr/lib/ also this package was made in 2017 suggesting it may be outdated?

Is their perhaps a way I could write a script to kill the process when I login? Or is it recommended to just leave it alone?

I forgot about lighter-gnome. Yes, it is outdated as the paths have changed.

EDIT: Just updated it, the paths are fixed now with 20211216-1.

That’s my advice. However if you want to tinker:

You can accomplish the same thing that lighter-gnome does by copying the desktop file from the system autostart folder to your user autostart folder and adding X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false to the end of it (as long as that still works):

cp /etc/xdg/autostart/org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Wacom.desktop ~/.config/autostart/
sed -i -e '$aX-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false' ~/.config/autostart/org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Wacom.desktop
1 Like

lovely thanks for the advice :+1: Might try to have a little tinker lol :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.