Graphics in menu items messed up after update

Hello everyone!

After latest upgrade graphics in certain menus and/or windows started to behave strange way.
As I’m newcomer forum does not allow me to include any links or screenshots and explaining what I see is kind of hard.

If I try to choose items from start menu, texts jumps and becomes mostly diagonal mess of lines. The same happens for example with the system settings menu. Mostly texts and graphics are ok.

An image would be self explaining but unfortunately I cannot attach it here for now.

Here is the graphics part of my system, if appropriate.

inxi -G 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X] driver: radeon v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: ati,radeon unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1: 1680x1050 
           2: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD HAWAII (DRM 2.50.0 5.12.8-1-MANJARO LLVM 11.1.0) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.1.2

I don’t know what info to provide nor where to start at all… Any help appreciated!

Vibeke

Hello,

So is something like this

As mentioned there, the best guess is GPU driver related …

Yes: Something most likely broke in the latest amdgpu or Mesa. I only know that for me it started happening after the latest OS snapshot (large update) roughly one week ago, before then I don’t believe I experienced it. Sadly I don’t know anything more to help, am also waiting for a solution.

Yes, my “symptoms” are exactly like that. Fortunately computer is still usable but this is somewhat annoying. I hope it will be repaired somewhere in the future.

Vibeke

Tip: When pasting terminal output on Discourse forums, one can either…

• Highlight it and use the Preformatted text </> toolbar button.

• Add three backticks ` above and below the text (Markdown):

```
    text
    ```

• Use HTML:

<pre><code>
    text
    </pre></code>

Please edit your post accordingly.

I’m having similar. In case anyone wants know-- what is happening on my computer is a temporary screen malfunction, just after the login screen. The screen is torn and garbled for a half minute before it resolves while loading the desktop screen fine. This occurs using a Restart option but does not occur with a full Shutdown and new start. Before the error happens the login in screen and text are normal. The computer is an hp pavilion AMD A6 laptop, 17.3 display with Radeon graphics- (Beaver Creek). I listed video hardware details in my last/only other post. The garbling looks worse since the latest update-as the pieces are smaller, stretched etc and not simply mismatched rectangles.

Thanks fo the tip.

Vibeke

Manjaro did another update. After I did the restart thing again. The display issue is same as yesterday except the image is less garbled. This time it looks like the screen was horizontally sliced with each piece cut up with angular (pointed) sides, arranged so that each line is mismatched from the one below. Yesterday (after a delayed update I just got around to installing) the tearing pattern was more random bedlam.

I have the same issue! Also AMD graphics. I think I had this problem before the big update but after I was on closed source drivers. Steam games never play with the open source drivers for me for some reason.

I uploaded screenshots but cannot share media/links directly. You can see at imgur /a/Ak5FL0H

Update–
Just did a restart aka soft boot and I wanted to report that the screen did not tear up. There have been a couple updates since reporting the problem. To whoever fixed the problem–THANK YOU.

The problem hasn’t gone away for me even with latest mesa 21.1.4.

Manjaro is yet to release a new update snapshot in over a month. Not sure on the exact reason for the delay, but hopefully the next version of the OS will contain the fixed updated Mesa.

The latest update snapshot did not solve the problem…

Confirmed, still seeing it too.

A little detail also: This glitch only seems to occur under X11. The Plasma Wayland session does not appear to do it… of course I still can’t use Wayland due to how broken it still is with KDE.

It seems the issue has gone away for me with the new mesa update at version 21.1.5 that I got from the unstable branch.

Someone else confirmed that on the KDE bug, will do so myself once it reaches stable. Thanks for clarifying the fix.

Confirming this is resolved as of the latest stable snapshot today, which brings us Mesa 21.1.5. For everyone else experiencing this, updating should now resolve the problem.

Yes, the latest stable snapshot with Mesa 21.1.5 resolved the problem.

Update Friday Aug 6 2021 introduced screen tearing again only this time it happens when powering on, after a regular full shut down to power off. Tearing occurs just after login just as the final desktop is displayed. I have also noticed issues with Firefox and certain sites causing my computer to heat drastically- and yes, the fan and motherboard are clean. Another app FCC also is does similar and between firefox and this app, with 8 GIGS of RAM doubled 4 mos ago, my computer freezes up as if out of memory. I was hoping the update last night would resolve this last issue that began about a week ago but it hasn’t. And now the tearing display thing again. Not sure how to fix this. Any suggestions?

`Device-1: AMD Sumo [Radeon HD 6520G] driver: radeon v: kernel 
  Device-2: Chicony HP Integrated Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: ati,radeon 
  unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1600x900~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD SUMO (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.10.53-1-MANJARO LLVM 12.0.1) 
  v: 3.3 Mesa 21.1.5