Graphical System configuration tool (like Yast)

I’ve tried a lot of Linux distributions so far, and Manjaro is my favorite Linux distribution.

But all Linux distributions suffer under a big problem: users probably have to use the terminal to configure a program or to install something on their machine, instead of a more pleasant, graphical way, to do so (at least when they’re not just browsing threw the web once a year).

For a lot of users, that’s (understandably) disgusting!

I’ve already used OpenSUSE and I loved their tool called Yast.
It allows you to modify your system and configure things under the hood, I didn’t even knew about with a graphical interface.
That is one reason why OpenSUSE is so popular. The terminal has become obsolete (mostly, you still can’t do everything with it, but really a lot).
For example, I’ve configured grub as I wanted with the help of Yast and it felt so easy.

Just today I had to modify grub on Manjaro and had to use the terminal and a text editor.
I had to browse threw the web and search for the correct terminal command and that’s really time consuming.
I mean… I’m the “Linux expert” in my family, but I still feel like I just began to see the complexity of Linux, but also it’s possibilities and abilities. They’re just hidden in configuration files and terminal commands.

Such a tool would have multiple advantages:

1.) A graphical system configuration tool (I’m gonna abbreviate it to GSCT) is much faster and more user-friendly.
Especially new Linux users are afraid of the terminal, cause it’s not intuitive and it’s more likely to break something (believe me, I had to experience that a lot of times, especially when I was still using Ubuntu).

2.) There are hundreds of Linux distributions out there. Manjaro has to deliver something, others don’t, so there’s an additional reason to use Manjaro instead of others.

3.) Manjaro would gain media attention

4.) Manjaro users would be able to work much faster and less frustrated

5.) More users would be willing to switch from MacOS or Windows (or other Linux distributions) to Linux/Manjaro (more users -> more donations :smiley: )

6.) Less unsatisfied/unhappy users and fewer complaints that nothing works in the forums

Such a GSCT should include as many configuration options as possible, while remaining clear and easy to use. In the best case, more settings than even Yast.

Manjaro already has the Manjaro-settings program containing important configuration abilities (like switching the kernels), so this tool could be expanded step by step to give users the opportunity to take advantage of the full potential of Linux.

I would like to see such a GSCT/expanded Manjaro-settings program in Manjaro, since it delivers a lot of advantages to users, system admins, the manjaro development team and to Linux.

This is a wish-list item rather than a feature request:

This tool doesn’t exist, so someone needs to write it.

Who is going to write it?

Actually no. Quite often cli is faster and less likely to get borked as surrounding infrastructure changes.

We apparently already do evidenced by our growth.

Something most of us don’t care about. If we did Manjaro would not be where it is today.

Speak for yourself. I have zero frustration with Manjaro, and pretty much any other distro. I see everything as an opportunity to learn. Since we are talking about frustration though if something does frustrate me it is usually poorly thought out, poorly implemented, and poorly maintained automation.

More MacOS and Windows refugess = more entitled behavior on the forums expecting direct unpaid support for their inability or lack of desire to learn.

Uh no… more people complaining how the automation does not work as intended rolling back to the actual problem… user error … user laziness.

Since this sounds like such a huge project, and you have apparently alot of passion for it, when can we expect to see you develop it and roll it out?

Well, even though it’s maybe something like a “wish-list item”, every great invention was an unrealistic wish.

But my personal experiences showed me that a lot of users are afraid of the terminal.

And when everyone just says it’s a “wish” that such a tool exists, nobody is willing to face that issue, nothing will change.

I don’t say, it’s not unrealistic, that such a whole tool is written in 2 hours or even a year.
But that’s why I also suggested to integrate something like this step-by-step.

or poorly documented

Well, I see your points:

Yes, cli is much faster for experienced users, but not if you have to search half an hour at the Internet for the correct commands and you’re a new user and have no experience with the terminal since you never had to use it.

That Manjaro is better than most of the other Linux distros is great, BUT it’s just ATM.
If Manjaro shall stay successful, it has to deliver something unique - again and again and again.

I don’t say that the Manjaro community should care about it, but it’s an advantage and therefore I mentioned it.

Well, as it seems, you have years of experience with Linux (I’m using it for years also), but sometimes I’m really frustrated, when I have to open the terminal, open the browser, search for the correct command, have to understand English (that’s also nothing everyone does), have to understand the syntax (even though it’s not complex mostly) and have to copy it just to do simple operations.
To avoid “poor” implementation, I suggested to integrate it step-by-step to have the chance to adjust it correctly and fix bugs.

Well, I think you forget that a lot of people out there have no clue about technologies, especially when they’re older.
Maybe they don’t have enough time or they’re not interested enough in Computers to learn, how to use the terminal and memorize all terminal commands.

When the tool’s not working as intended it’s useless I’d say. :joy:

Well, I’m sorry that I try to help make Manjaro/Linux better.
I didn’t know that it’s required when you make a suggestion to program it afterwards.
I just wanted to make people thing about the points I mentioned and not hate me for that.
I’m really sorry if I understood that wrong.

I know that my suggestion isn’t easy.
But I just wondered, why nobody apart from the Suse team maintains something like this.

If it’s that stupid idea and worths nothing, then you’re free to close this thread.

I just want to help and I’m scared by the fact that you seem to not be able to understand my points and my experiences with Linux.

There has to be a reason why Windows is still the leading operation system on PC’s.
And it’s not just that there’s no software for Linux.
That’s an odd argument.

It’s because Linux doesn’t seem to be better than Windows, it’s also worse than Windows partly.

And believe me: When I had enough time to learn proper programming for Linux and enough money to finance me, I’d do it myself.
But unfortunately that’s not the case.

I just thought “Hey, maybe there’s someone out there with the required knowledge to do so.”

Don’t know. Probably you’ll also find an argument against this.

As I said, I just want to make Linux better, by giving feedback with a theoretical solution.
Maybe I missed my aim.
I’m sorry.

Maybe that’s the problem. I suppose that making a program like that is time and, of course, money consuming.

I think that apart for a big house, as you say Suse have it, a distro like Manjaro mantainned for people in his spare time there are other important things…

But I propose, why not start learning and start to programming the app for your self… Sure it can be an amazing journey.

Well, everything you do is time consuming and costs money.
You could for example just replace “making a program like that” with “raising a child” and you’d have a perfect argument against raising a child.
That works with everything.

Yes, it’s true, but an argument that’s always valid, you know?

Of course there are other important things, but the Linux community created something bigger than for example Microsoft ever created.
A community is a benefit rather than a drawback.

Well, finishing school and my relationships are more important to me atm than learning this right now.
I don’t say it wouldn’t be fun, but I don’t have the capacity right now, sorry.

But maybe someone else. Don’t know.

This is a silly argument.

How many people here do you think are being paid to work on Manjaro?

The answer: none.

Coming up with an idea is easy. Making it happen costs money, in one way or another.

If you want something you either have to do it yourself or pay someone else to do it for you.

If you can’t do either, it’s not going to happen.