Graphical distortions on freshly installed Manjaro

Hello,

I wanted to have a rolling release distro, so I switched to Manjaro.

After the fresh install with free-drivers … there is a black triangle across the whole screen … jumping around if I move windows and even sometimes multiplying into several black triangles.

I tried to install the nvidia-driver instead via the System-Settings. Everything seemed to go well, but after that the system would not boot anymore.

If I try to to run Manjaro from the live-DVD with non-free-drivers I get a black screen.

What should I do?
Can someone help me please?

Provide more information about your hardware and edition you installed (desktop environment etc.).

inxi -Fxxxz

is a good start, and also read

Maybe?

It’s like going to the doctor and claiming to be ill without explanation.
Ooops , this was intended to the OP. :wink:

Sorry folks, … I gave quite a bit of information about my system during registration. I thought, this would be visible.

Ok. inxi -Fxxxz gives this output:

System:    Host: pc Kernel: 4.14.52-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.1.1 
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.13.2 tk: Qt 5.11.1 dm: sddm Distro: Manjaro Linux 17.1.11 Hakoila 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: N/A model: ALiveNF7G-HDready serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: P2.10 
           date: 12/26/2007 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ bits: 64 type: MCP arch: K8 rev.F+ rev: 1 
           L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm bogomips: 3990 
           Speed: 1000 MHz min/max: 1000/2100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1000 2: 1000 
Graphics:  Card-1: NVIDIA C68 [GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a] driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 00:12.0 
           chip ID: 10de:053b 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nouveau unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nv,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: NV67 v: 2.1 Mesa 18.1.3 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA MCP67 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:07.0 
           chip ID: 10de:055c 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.14.52-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Card-1: NVIDIA MCP67 Ethernet driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: d880 bus ID: 00:0a.0 
           chip ID: 10de:054c 
           IF: enp0s10 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Info:      Processes: 151 Uptime: 3m Memory: 7.55 GiB used: 675.0 MiB (8.7%) Init: systemd v: 239 Compilers: 
           gcc: 8.1.1 Shell: bash v: 4.4.23 running in: konsole inxi: 3.0.12 

If you want me to post the output of dmesg and journalctl … please let me know!

Thank you!

The info for your user profile only provides a small selection (and it’s not always accurate - we have no way of knowing what “sort” of user you are until you’ve been here a little while :wink:). inxi provides pretty much everything in a nice concise format.

I suspect the issue is down to some interplay between the KDE compositor and the nouveau driver.

The first thing to check, though, is whether a package update will make any difference. Either fire up Octopi/Pamac, or open a terminal and:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f3
sudo pacman -Syyu

There will also be a kernel update in there so you’ll need to reboot too.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help!

The following happened in the meantime:

Because I have to switch to my parallel system all the time to write in the forum here for instance, I had installed grub anew to make it boot into the old system automatically again.

Now, choosing Manjaro in Grub … it didn’t boot anymore: kernel panic, couldn’t mount fs …

So I booted with fallback mode. Worked!
I did an update with octopi.
Tried a normal boot again. Again kernel panic, freeze.
Booted in fallback mode again: the distorted graphic is still there.

The new inxi -Fxxxz gives this output:

System:    Host: pc Kernel: 4.14.60-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.1.1 
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.13.4 tk: Qt 5.11.1 wm: kwin_x11 dm: sddm Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: N/A model: ALiveNF7G-HDready serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: P2.10 
           date: 12/26/2007 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ bits: 64 type: MCP arch: K8 rev.F+ rev: 1 
           L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm bogomips: 3990 
           Speed: 1000 MHz min/max: 1000/2100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1000 2: 1000 
Graphics:  Card-1: NVIDIA C68 [GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a] vendor: ASRock driver: nouveau v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:12.0 chip ID: 10de:053b 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nouveau unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,nv,vesa 
           compositor: kwin x11 resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: NV67 v: 2.1 Mesa 18.1.5 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA MCP67 High Definition Audio vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:07.0 chip ID: 10de:055c 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.14.60-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Card-1: NVIDIA MCP67 Ethernet driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: d880 bus ID: 00:0a 
           chip ID: 10de:054c 
           IF: enp0s10 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Info:      Processes: 151 Uptime: 2m Memory: 7.55 GiB used: 649.2 MiB (8.4%) Init: systemd v: 239 Compilers: 
           gcc: 8.1.1 Shell: bash v: 4.4.23 running in: konsole inxi: 3.0.18

What else can I do?

The next thing to try is a newer kernel series:

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux417

(also, you should just double-check that the command-line update instructions above don’t do anything more than Octopi already did, just in case).

Ok! Thanks again!

Unfortunately I have to leave now.
I will follow your advice as soon as I get back to the computer tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Hello, I’m back.

So the command-line update said everything is updated already.
Then I have the 4.17.12-1.1 Kernel running now. It doesn’t offer it in the Grub-Boot-Menu though. I booted into it via Super-Grub2-Disc.

But, unfortunately, the black triangle is still jumping around my screen. It starts in the upper left corner and most of the time goes down to the lower right corner getting a bit thicker down there.

Here the new inxi -Fxxxz output:

System:    Host: pc Kernel: 4.17.12-1.1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.1.1 
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.13.4 tk: Qt 5.11.1 wm: kwin_x11 dm: sddm Distro: Manjaro Linux

Hmm!?? What can we check next?

Screenshot to make it visible for us here?

Here is a screenshot:

EDIT: This is from before the update, therefore the red octopi icon.

It looks like a Nouveau glitch.

Just reminding that if you have somehow used another grub or bootloader instead of manjaro’s it will not load properly. Make sure to sudo update-grub from within manjaro.
(this is the simplest … though you may even have to do an install pointed at a partition)
[btw @ryanmusante I like your new penguino avatar]

I found a workaround:

I changed the compositor setting for the output-modul from OpenGL to XRender. Now the triangle is gone!

Are there any drawbacks to expect from this “solution”?

I mark this as solved.
Thank you everybody for your help!
And also thanks @cscs for the help with the boot-problem. A complete grub-install solved it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by