Graphic driver trouble - Quadro P600 on Manjaro Gnome

Hi, I’m absolutely new on Manjaro and I really appreciate the job you all do here. It looks great to me, nevertheless I couldn’t get it working yet.

I assume, the graphic driver is not working. I don’t care which driver to use (free or proprietary), as long as the graphic card starts working.

Here is what I have done so far:

• Installing Manjaro Gnome 17.1.12-stable-x86_64
    The installation won’t start without the adjustment, shown in this thread (answer from joeky888)
    – activating non-free drivers in grub
    – editing the kernel parameters in grub, adding systemd.mask=mhwd-live.service
    – in live image deleting the net- and video-identifier part in /usr/lib/calamares/modules/mhwdcfg/main.py
    – installing Manjaro with auto-login after boot enabled (if not, I will just get a black screen after login)

• Installing proprietary nvidia driver
    – Any contact with the nvidia graphic card will result in a freeze.
    Opening “settings” freezes the system,
    inxi -G
    will freeze the terminal.
    – When I blacklist nouveau, following this thread (answer from i_love_r34), I can, after the reboot, run the commands without freeze:
    – creating a file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf containing

blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv
blacklist nv
blacklist uvcvideo

– after that I run
sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

as shown in the wiki (Configure NVIDIA (non-free) settings and load them on Startup), but
mhwd -li

gives me (after the reboot) a [n/a] under “graphic driver”. Also nvidia-settings was not accessible after this step.

Now I only get a black screen when I boot and I am indeed unsure, what to do next.
Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you very much :slight_smile:

specs
– Intel i7 (8. gen) 8750H Prozessor 6x 2,20 GHz
– Quadro P600
– 16 GB DDR4 RAM
– no OS pre-installed

nope … you have to use the file created by mhwd command, that means /etc/modprobe.d/mhwd-gpu.conf
and also aside the list you have already for blacklist, add this two too:

blacklist drm_kms_helper
blacklist drm

BUT … i think the Quadro P600 is Fermi family and you might have to install the video-nvidia-390xx … do it from Manjaro Hardware Detection Gui.

1 Like

Sorry, I’m a bit stuck here. This file does not exist yet. How can I create it by a mhwd command? I assume, it’s not enough to just create it with gedit or nano.

Thanks a lot for your fast reply

Not manually.

• Backup the blacklist file (rename extension from conf to conf.bak)
  • Reboot and edit grub menu to go to TTY
  • In TTY install nonfree drivers with mhwd
  • Reboot

Read this for help

1 Like

Thanks for your help, but I think, I need a few more hints.

Basically, I don’t know how to execute these steps and I couldn’t find tutorials for this yet. This is, what I tried:

• /etc/modprobe.d/ is empty, so there was nothing to backup
  • in grub I pressed “e” on the first option (boot manjaro gnome) and I assume entering TTY with that (I am not 100% sure, what that actually is).
  • I saw somewhat like a config file there, so I pressed “F2” to enter the command line mode.
  • I tried sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300, but it tells me, that the command sudo is unknown.

?? what?? What about the one I posted??

According to those actions you should have two files, unless I missed something.

If you read the tutorial, I guess you’ll understand you were still in Grub (not TTY) when you ran mhwd command.

1 Like

Sorry, I just needed some more help to understand these steps.
To clarify the misunderstanding of the blacklist files: I freshly installed manjaro again meanwhile as I couldn’t work with a black screen. I did not mention that, sorry.

So, I blacklisted nouveau again; this time adding

to the file. After forced shutdown (normal shutdown is not possible while nouveau is enabled), I was able to run
sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
which created the desired file (/etc/modprobe.d/mhwd-nvidia.conf). This file already contained the blacklisted items from the file I created manually before (blacklist.conf). I changed the extension of blacklist.conf to conf.bak to avoid any further trouble.

When I boot now, I am back to my black screen with a cursor in the upper left corner (I cannot type anything).

From grub I can enter TTY as described in petsams tutorial posted. Here are some lines that
dmesg | less
gives me:

ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \SB.PCI0.SPI1.FPNT._CRS, AE_AML._INVALID_RESOURCE_TYPE (20170728/psparse-550)
ACPI Error: Method execution failed \SB.PCI0.SPI1.FPNT._CRS, AE_AML._INVALID_RESOURCE_TYPE (20170728/uteval-103)
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \SB.PCI0.SPI2.FPNT._CRS, AE_AMI._INVALID_RESOURCE_TYPE (20170728/psparse-550)
ACPI Error: Method execution failed \SB.PCI0.SPI2.FPNT._CRS, AE_AML._INVALID_RESOURCE_TYPE (20170728/uteval-103)

Interestingly TTY freezes when I type
inxi -G

Any suggestions?

1 Like

If this command freezes the system, there maybe a hardware problem

lspci | grep -e VGA -e 3D

Also tell us about your system
DE (xfce, plasma?)
DM (lightdm, sddm?)
CPU?
GPUs? Nvidia, AMD?

Usefull logs would be

journalctl -p3
/var/log/Xorg.0.log 

It would help to know if you can start GUI from TTY, or your DM

startx
<and/or>
sudo systemctl status lightdm
sudo systemctl start lightdm

change to your DM if it’s different.

Let’s get some stuff clear:

That model has integrated GPU too, so you either disable it from BIOS or you will need to use the a different approach then the one you are trying.

AFAIK that is a desktop GPU (so disable the intel GPU from BIOS), but if your system is a laptop, then you have to go by this solution below, and remember i was saying that i think is a Fermi based GPU even tho it has 384 CUDA core Pascal GPU ?

If is not a Fermi GPU, and your system is a laptop, then follow this

If is a desktop, you still must disable the integrated GPU from BIOS in order to avoid any issues. As for the ACPI errors from dmesg, you can ignore those or add acpi_rev_override=1 as kernel parameter at boot. Also you can chose to boot the install media using the nonfree driver option from grub menu.

3 Likes

Sorry for my late response, I was pretty busy lately.
Long story short: after visiting two local Linux User Groups (one with a lot of guys from FSFE) I switched to Ubuntu. The system works now - regardless of typical Ubuntu bugs :slight_smile:

Details

• Under Manjaro I checked available drivers with
    mhwd -l --pci
    and saw, that nvidia-390 would be downloaded. This driver won’t work for me; I need nvidia-375 or nvidia-396 (according to the nvidia website).
  • I downloaded nvidia-396 directly from nvidia to install it manually (which I would have needed to repeat after every kernel update). The nvidia script needed the kernel headers and sources, so I installed the kernel headers and downloaded and built the sources in regard to the arch wiki. The nvidia-script crashed as it couldn’t find a specific file in the kernel sources (fence.h), which indeed was missing in the kernel sources.
  • We (me and 2 linux user groups) got stuck here. Then I got the advice to move back to Ubuntu, 2 lines in the terminal and 3 clicks later I had my system back.

So after all: Thank you guys for this amazing system and support. I guess, I will retry Manjaro in 2 years or so, but right now it just doesn’t seem to work for me.

1 Like

I could try manually installing nvidia-396 drivers, but they aren’t available for Quadro P6000 in Nvidia web for Linux 64bit. I could also try installing Ubuntu 17.04 (how to fix printer offline) and crossing my fingers and pray for everything to work nicely from the beginning.
Note: For more discussion on this topic at https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2399568

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.