Grammatical errors on manjaro.org

I’ve been using Manjaro for some time now, and I have to say, I’m digging it. Manjaro is, in my opinion, the most polished Arch-based distribution. I would like to correct a few writing errors on the website. Having proper English will convey a stronger message and earn trust from the reader.

Manjaro (This is the section on the left, found by scrolling down from the main page.)

Is an accessible, friendly, and open-source operating system. It provides all the benefits of cutting-edge software, combined with a focus on getting started quickly, automated tools for less user input, and help readily available. Manjaro is suitable for both newcomers and experienced computer users.

Unlike proprietary operating systems, you have full control over your hardware, without restrictions. Manjaro is ideal for people who want to learn how Linux works and how it is different from other operating systems. From this perspective, it is also suitable for beginners similar to the way an Arduino is an excellent entry-point to embedded hardware development.

It is easily possible to run many popular Windows applications, using compatibility software, such as Wine, PlayonLinux, or Proton via Steam. The examples given here are far from comprehensive!
Manjaro represents a perfect middle-ground for those who want good performance, full control, and cutting-edge software, but also a degree of software stability.

Free is better (This the section next to Manjaro.)

Manjaro will always be completely free. Our goal is to create an operating system that is easy to use and stable. You, the user, are our priority. We do not take control away from you and respect your privacy.

Install anything (Notice how the “a” in “anything” is not capital. The text for this section is fine.)

Great community (Again, the “c” doesn’t need to be capital in this usage.)

We have a polite, friendly, and cheerful forum, where everyone is welcoming and supportive. The forum is the right place to share knowledge and talk about Linux.

Availability (The desktop environments should be referred by their true names. “GNOME” is officially spelled in all caps and KDE is actually called “Plasma.”)

Manjaro is available for 64-bit architectures. Xfce, KDE Plasma, and GNOME editions are officially supported. Other flavors, including editions for 32-bit architectures, are maintained by the community.

I hope this information can help the Manjaro project. I will be happy to answer any questions asked. If there’s a way for me to commit changes directly to the website, I would love to know, so I could contribute!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

It is in my opinion too! :smiley: :metal:

I agree, and I think it’s a great idea for the members to help out in ironing out the language bugs.

Unfortunately, our Dear Webmaster™ is not a native English speaker, and as such, errors in spelling, punctuation and grammar have indeed managed to creep into the information on the website. This is definitely not exclusive to Manjaro, but you are correct. :wink:

Speaking of which, I’ve just found another punctuation error myself, at the First Steps page ─ emphasis with bold and italics is mine. :arrow_down:

Introduction

After you downloaded Manjaro. This guide covers the basic’s, If you want more information look into the Manjaro User Guide or the Manjaro Wiki.

An obvious error, but a natural one for people whose first language isn’t English, because in several languages, the plural form of a noun may indeed require an “apostrophe-s”. But even native English speakers often make that mistake ─ and much, much worse :roll_eyes: ─ so on account of our Dear Webmaster™, the error is definitely excusable. :slight_smile:

Yet, language errors are like software bugs; they need squatting. Your input is therefore appreciated, as is the fact that as a new member on this forum, you’ve actually managed to post your first thread into the right forum category. More often than not, that is not the case. Therefore, I reward thee with a beer on our tab. :stuck_out_tongue:

:beer:

I propound that we reserve this thread for reporting more linguistic mistakes on our Dear Website™, and I shall henceforth invite our Dear Webmaster™ to come and take a look at this thread. :wink:

:vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

Xfce, NOT XFCE! :wink:

2 Likes

GNU/Linux

5 Likes

Ah, but do we really want to open up that can of worms, my friend? :smiley: Because then we may run into the very divisive discussions regarding…

• GNU/Linux versus Linux
  • Plasma or KDE Plasma versus KDE
  • LXQt versus LXQT

Therefore, on account of the above, perhaps it would be wisest to heed the words of the expert below…

:arrow_down:

Achmed

2 Likes

And there’s a typo in that text as well. :stuck_out_tongue: Both in Her Majesty’s English and in US English as defined by Webster’s, it should be “referring”, not “refering”. :wink:

1 Like

Spellcheckers are proprietary.

1 Like

In a well-known protocol the misspelled referer has been allowed to stay - probably because it is used in a gazillion scripts using a webserver

2 Likes

Brilliant, thank you!

1 Like

I checked the Under your control section and found a few spots that need improvements. I’ll try correct most of the sections when I have the time. If anyone else wants to participate, please do by finding mistakes on the site or further correcting the ones here!

Change everything you need

Every person is different and needs an operating system that doesn’t try to enforce a specific workflow, visual style, or programs. Manjaro comes with default settings that we believe are helpful to most users. If these do not suit you, you can configure, change, remove, or replace whatever you like. Most of these options are directly available via our easy to use configuration program.

Control Your PC

We believe that privacy, security, and control are among the most valuable things for a user. We include tools to accomplish everything needed to make room for actual work, entertainment, and relaxation. But you, the user, will always be in control of your computer. It is your hardware and your operating system.

Update when you want

When updates are available, Manjaro will show an unobtrusive notification. If you are working, gaming, or watching a movie, you can hide it with one click. We understand that users may not want to update at a specific time. Manjaro only updates via user confirmation.

Your data is not ours (This section needs an “is” after data)

Manjaro does not send any data to anybody. Why should it? It’s your data. You decide what you want to do with it. You can use services that finance themselves with the data you generate, or you can protect your data by using open-source software, which is directly available in Manjaro’s repositories. The software in our repositories is checked by the package maintainer to ensure it is safe to use.

A few of these paragraphs had unnecessary information, which has been removed. I tried to stick with the main focus of the text and not stray too far from what the original author was trying to communicate.

1 Like

…and another one! I’ve cleaned up the Configured with one click section. I would recommend renaming this section to “Configure with one click.”

Manjaro comes with tools to help you configure your computer the way you want - without searching for scattered settings across the whole system and looking things up on the internet. Just open the system control panel, open the tool, and select what you want.

Choose, install, finished!

Manjaro maintains its own program to install, update, and remove packages from the system. All you need to do is open it, choose what you want, and click “Install.” Any dependencies, which are specific packages required for a program to run, will be installed automatically, and all you will need to do is to start the program.

Divide and conquer

Manjaro speaks your language! Just start our locale settings and select the language you want. After logging out and in again, everything will be in the correct language. We also offer a tool to automatically install language packs for a variety of programs, which can notify you about new translations for your favorite programs.

New graphics card? A single click will set it up for you (“One click and its done” is a bit vague. I suggest using this, or something along the lines of it instead. The text for this section is fine as is.)

Switch the core with one click

Power-users and people who need special features of the Linux Kernel that don’t come with the default one can switch to a different kernel with one click. Do you make music or need other realtime features? Try an RT-Kernel. Do you need the newest improved open-source graphics drivers? Switch to a newer one. Manjaro supports multiple installed kernels at the same time. Just reboot your system and make your selection in the boot menu.

The sections I didn’t cover are fine as they are. The page I just covered provides key information about how Manjaro works. I wanted to be sure that it is easy to understand and professionally written, hence why I made some edits. Feel free to make further corrections by replying.

1 Like

I was trying to figure out where to go to point out some grammatical and spelling errors on one of the pages, and I came across this thread. I didn’t think that I should make a new thread about this, so I hope it’s okay that I’m posting here.

On Manjaro - Downloads (and by extension, Manjaro - Downloads) (oops, no it doesn’t), it reads the following:

Manjaro LXQt provides a lightweight LXQt desktop environment. In addition to LXQt itself it provides a very basic set of applications. As most applications use the same Qt5 toolkit, the desktop provides a unified and style and theming. Additionally the Kvantum theme manager is provided to provide consistent theming for both QT and GTK applications.

A unified what? I don’t know if a word was missed, or if you meant, "a unified style and theming."

Also, at the bottom of the page (and by extension, all download pages?), it reads the following:

IF YOU LOOKING FOR OTHER EDITIONS. USE THE MENU IN THE TOP TOOLBAR.

It should instead read, "IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR OTHER EDITIONS, USE THE MENU IN THE TOP TOOLBAR."

“You” should be “you’re”, and the period should be a comma, since it’s one complete thought.

I also just wanted to say, I may only have tried a handful of linux distros, but KDE Manjaro was the only one that made me feel comfortable enough to move away from Windows (I still use Windows though, don’t tell anyone :P). I liked it so much, in fact, that I reinstalled both OSs on my laptop; Manjaro on my NVMe, and Windows on the secondary SSD. To the respective developers/maintainers, you guys are absolutely amazing.

EDIT: I just can’t escape the curse of, “make a mistake on your first post everywhere, every time”. I also did not realize it would hyperlink the URL automatically, but just for clarification, this is all concerning the LXQt download page.

1 Like

During the Manjaro installation process it should say ‘Installing’ instead of ‘Install’ in some places…i.e. “Installing Grub”, rather than “Install Grub”(looks like asking the user to install grub).

But if the installer is talking to itself then it’s totally fine. :stuck_out_tongue::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: