Responsible use of AUR

Yeah the auto complete thing is massively contributing to the number of queries to aur, removing that feature should reduce the number and alleviate the issue temporarily until a more robust solution can be implemented.

There is probably some short delay before starting the search after a keystroke, Iā€™m too lazy to look it up now. If you type slowly it is yeah :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes. Itā€™s triggered on change signal in the search field, so every keytroke basically.

Also see @omanoā€™s post at gitlabā€¦

https://gitlab.manjaro.org/applications/pamac/-/issues/1135

1 Like

I decided to turn off AUR support completely until the next pamac update to save AUR performance for those who need to install an AUR app urgently.

Hope we can test that update in near future.

Pamac-CoV-21
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Put the Internet-masks on your pamac if you can.

3 Likes

Donā€™t use the AUR search either, it does the same :wink:

8 Likes

Iā€™ve turned off all update capabilities in Pamac. There are other ways to check and update the AUR. Searching can be done on the Arch website.

2 Likes

There is no such thing and never will be. I edited the first post to be more clear.

The AUR is not a package repository, thereā€™s nothing to sync.

It contains package descriptions (PKGBUILDs) that allow you to compile a package from source with makepkg and then install it via pacman.

1 Like

What would be the technical limitation of Manjaro hosting a copy of the AUR which Manjaro users use? It would simply sync the PKGBUILDs at the same time Manjaro syncs with the Arch repos (so would go through the Unstable ā†’ Testing ā†’ Stable process)

Doesnā€™t mean official support for the AUR, but that way Manjaro is not spending Arch resources.

2 Likes

:warning: Remember, the AUR is neither officially supported by Arch nor by Manjaro. Using it is at your own risk and your own responsibility.

The unstable branch is synced multiple times per day. Thatā€™s not realistic.

Three copies, two stale? No way. Arch would blacklist us all for such a monstrosity.

How would syncing not spend Arch resources?

This idea will not be entertained.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s why itā€™s not the same. When searching the AUR website, the user wants something from AUR. Users searching pamac might want something in the regular repos, but their queries are still sent to aur.archlinux.org.

4 Likes

If this is an infrastructure issue why doesnā€™t the Manjaro team make a fund and ask for donations from its users to help support the development & expansion of the AUR? This problem will only continue to grow, sooner or later theyā€™ll get sick of us leeching off their good graces and boot us all together, might be a good idea for us to at least pitch in.

3 Likes

It can be copied and actualised regularly.
Me (the user) is just sick and tired always being the aā€¦ole when using manjaro and itā€™s tools.

You wouldnā€™t need to look through the entire AUR, just look and see which PKGBuilds have changed since the last sync, the AUR provides the ability to do this

Would it not spend less resources on their end for you to do one sync rather than every Manjaro user querying the AUR everytime they want to install/update/search something?

2 Likes

I have Pamac configured to check for updates weekly, including the AUR. I donā€™t think one check every 7 days is going to contribute to the problem of overloading the AUR. At least I hope not. :pleading_face:

4 Likes

Auto-searching should be disabled completely I suppose. It is one of the most annoying features of Pamac. Or make a switch button similar to Octopiā€™s one.

4 Likes

Iā€™m surprised that /r/linux Subreddit is taking a about this. But thery are linking to the issue not the thread.

Yepp, thatā€™s true.
Just meant ā€œtechnicallyā€ itā€™s doing the same thing.

1 Like

I know - it was a reference to Manjaro users seeing AUR as a part of Manjaro - which it most certainly is not.

Your edit is much appreciated.

If you have the urge to search for AUR PKGBUILD names offline there is a maintained databaase at the end of this url

1 Like

Does the command /usr/bin/checkupdates check the AUR too? And if so, how can I prevent it from checking it, just like I would do pamac checkupdates --no-aur?

Is the pamac checkupdates --quiet equivalent to /usr/bin/checkupdates?

checkupdates does not check aur

it uses the files database from the primary mirror - downloads to a tmp folder - and check.

it works just like pacman -Syu - without actually installing the packages.

1 Like

I see. I just did a pamac search --files -q /usr/bin/checkupdates and it revealed it is owned by pacman. I thought this was a Manjaro specific script. In this case, i donā€™t need to worry, because my auto update for Qtile uses /usr/bin/checkupdates and therefore does not check AUR.

1 Like