Gnome-shell-portal-helper popup with 404

Hi,
I’m receiving hotspot login popoup with 404 status each time my computer connects to wifi network, I’ve figured out that it is caused by gnome-shell-portal-helper. Modifying NetworkManager configuration doesn’t help with that issue. Is there any resolution for that issue?

Hi and welcome to the forum :partying_face:

I don’t use wifi and I can’t check right now, a quick search leads me here with this solution:

Go to Settings/Privacy and turn off Network connectivity checking.

The post links to a more elaborate explanation of this behavior. If the option does not exist more searching with the keyword gnome-shell-portal-helper could yield more results.

What did you modify? See Can i safely disable NetworkManager connectivity check?

This is Manjaro, not Ubuntu. :wink: They used to use a patch (<=21.10) to add that feature.

1 Like

I was trying to switch url for connectivity verification with following entries

[connectivity]
#uri=http://ping.manjaro.org/check_network_status.txt
uri=http://nmcheck.gnome.org/check_network_status.txt

in /lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf and /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf but there were no difference. After greping my / directory I found out that the url with 404 response is hardcoded directly in /lib/gnome-shell-portal-helper file

Do not edit /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf, edit /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf instead. The latter will override the former.

I’ve modified also that file. URL with 404 response is hardcoded directly in gnome-shell-portal-helper and I think that it doesn’t respect any configuration.

@bezimienny I have exactly the same issue. How did you solve it?

@andrescaroc I haven’t solved that :frowning:
I guess that the easiest way of resolving that would be disabling gnome-shell-portal-helper from checking Internet access but I’ve no time to find way of doing that.

Is there no solution yet? Would chattr +i on the conf files do it?