Gparted as default partition manager in Manjaro KDE.

Here is related post where once again I figured out that better don't touch KDE Partition Manager, but use old good Gparted instead. KDE Partition Manager is creepy.
Gparted did for seconds what KPM were going to do for hours.

I think better for the common good to replace KPM in Mangaro KDE with GParted (as default PM).

1 Like

Moved.

Take some time to explore it. It's really not as creepy as you think.

Functions as well as Gparted while keeping in the QT frameworks.

GM

your right it's not creepy, just slower than molasses. the op is correct the manjaro devs should remove kpm and replace it with gparted.

I have no problems using KDE Partition Manager for what it's intended to be used as. A way to manage partitions.

2 Likes

Disagreed.

KPM or GParted are both simply frontends for parted.

Use whichever is appropriate to the operating environment. Sheesh!

2 Likes

instead of gparted you have newer
gnome-disks
use whatever you want.
or
simply use cli.

1 Like

Sheesh! frontend for parted or not it is a fact that gparted behaves FAR better than kms. as for gnome-disk it's great for formatting or changing mount point, but NOTHING else.

I don't agree I don't know how it's for you Gparted often bugs out for me while KPM does not :man_shrugging:
we definitely don't want a GTK app on plasma when we have a QT app that's better

And that brings us back to Gparted,KMS, Gnome disks, GUI all have problems they all try to reinvent the wheel and fail,
Parted CLI is the engine for them and never fails, does more and is the correct tool for the job period that is why professionals and DEVs use parted it just works its only failing is users to dam dumb to read how to use it Dah users what users.:wink::wink:

lets just agree to disagree. what works for you and me in most cases are going to be different. it's actually the main reason i took another look at linux 2+ years back, cause microsour was slowly pushing everyone to do things the exact same way as everyone else. like likux some are all command-line, some are all gui, some are a mixture. each there own.

mandog just because peeps don't want to use the command line doesn't make them stupid, but does make you an arrogant prick.

...expanding a partition is always a bit dangerous. Let alone if you forcefully cancel operations before they are finished. As you did both of those things ... I am not sure you can blame kpm. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

i missed the part when he forcible ended a file operation in kpm. you're right not a great idea in any of the program for doing disk operations no matter the operating system your preforming the task on.

I'm blaming KPM in that it's were going to do for hours stuff that Gparted made less than in a minute or may be even half minute. That was because KPM also decided to move the whole partition 6Mb to the right, why? I didn't ask for this, as the result instead of a minute I waited about 30+, but I had stuff to do, so couldn't wait.
So I do blame KPM, considering that's not the first time it's glitching for me.

All pending actions are presented and visible before you hit apply. If unwanted actions (e.g. moving) are involved one should not apply the changes.

Any tool can be dangerous, depending on its use and the user's knowledge.

Common sense tells me not to hit my thumb with a hammer. Experience shows me just how good it feels when it quits hurting.

All pending actions are presented and visible before you hit apply. If unwanted actions (e.g. moving) are involved one should not apply the changes.

I'm sorry, didn't expect the thing to do what I didn't tell it to do, hence didn't check. Partially my fault.

Any tool can be dangerous, depending on its use and the user's knowledge.
Common sense tells me not to hit my thumb with a hammer. Experience shows me just how good it feels when it quits hurting.

My experience also tells that it's better to use more reliable tool, less probability that it's gonna hurt (it seems that varies from PC to PC in this case). I have some wisdom too.

again kpm is not as good as gparted. there is no getting a round that fact. i have been using partition tools(both in windows since win 98 till now manjaro) and can tell you from experience if one is going to use i gui based partition manager in linux it needs to be gparted. this is the last i will say on the subject.

You shouldn't really be presenting opinion as fact. You have made it clear that you prefer gparted but that doesn't make it factually better.

Both pieces of software essentially perform the same function so the difference is mostly down to the UIs which is subjective not objective and therefore not factual.

I prefer gparted myself but I wouldn't say it is better than partitionmanager it just better suits my personal tastes.

Forum kindly sponsored by