Google Calendar spam

I have won an Iphone!!!!

It has taken me nearly an hour to find and remove calendar spam! 10+ "events" appeared in my partners calendar, purporting to have come from me, but were not displaying in mine.

I had turned off add events from gmail, but they still got in from somewhere. I turned all settings on until I could see them, then deleted them.

If I could dump Google for this I would, but her indoors loves it, well until today :rofl: and we need to share a calendar :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I use Google Calender all the time, and I've never had that problem.

Just today I signed up for a Webnar and they wanted to use calendar as a reminder. I didn't allow.
Now I wonder if that is how spam gets into calendar.

Its rife, appears to have started at the end of August:

And I can keep going.......

3 Likes

I had to rescue my friend from this garbage.

Anything to get their ads for Peen pills or hot russian ladies in your face.

/sigh

1 Like

How do I turn this feature on?

regards

8 Likes

Not exactly a solution, just a workaround :rofl:

1 Like

The same thing happened to me.
Report it to Google. And solved.

This was last Thursday.

guys. just stop using gmail / google service's. problem solved. :wink:

take the blue pill, not the red one Neo...

1 Like

The blue pills also have a beneficial side effect, they stop me falling out of bed :rofl:

5 Likes

Had the same issue. Calendar entries full of Russian (cyrillic) spam. Fixed on it's own after Google's spam filters were updated, I presume.

I didn't stumble over this news until now. I use Google services rather extensively, since I have an Android phone (S8).
Never noticed this, but then I don't give my email out to people, which seems to be the key.

This was not a "hack" or a privacy issue per se, but it all hinged on someone getting a hold of your gmail address. It had nothing to do with Google, or Google services as such.

It is a "feature" that was exploited by spammers, far to easily, even if the email went straight to spam bin.

Completely Googles problem - poor design and implementation.

1 Like

Not really a poor design; having invites show up automatically in your calendar is how all business mail work. The key, again, bad guys getting a hold of your email. Google didn't sell the addresses nor was hacked.

For sure it's a design flaw. There's spam mails, yeah ok, there is no way to prevent it from arriving in your mailbox. Allowing anyone to make entries in your calendar is a different story. That kind of stuff should only be possible if you actively allow that.

That is not what happened.

Ok, maybe I misunderstood it. So please explain what happened.

edit
You got invitations to an event (which in turn creates entries in your calendar...)
Same thing at the end.

Yes, but that is how Outlook does it too. For example. If I get an invitation to a video conference or meeting at work thru mail it will also get the preliminary booking in Outlook's calendar. It is not a calendar spam, really (nobody gained direct access to your calendar and started filling in "meetings"). It is a mail spam that was used to show ads in your calendar.
Yes, for the user it's the same thing in the end, but the fault was not google's security. However, I agree that if automatically put in the spam folder, it should not have popped up in the calendar. that is really stupid design.

Which makes perfect sense. Those guys who've sent you meeting invitations (which then show up on your calendar as "preliminary appointment") had previous conversations with you (via mail) or were whitelisted by your employer or so. So they are kind of "trusted" and "allowed" to do this.

But if f*ck@anyone.com sends you an outlook appointment it should not be possible.

Since unfortunately I have to use Outlook & Windoze at work I'm going to put this to a test tomorrow. We'll see how that works out from an "unknown" address.

@Beardedgeek72 - I had a spam email, that went into the spam folder and put repeated entries in my partners calendar. It didn't show in mine, until I changed all the settings, then I could delete it.

How is this not a design flaw?

It is no different to a kernel vulnerability - if there is an attack vector, somebody will find it and use it.

Forum kindly sponsored by