Going Linux again?

https://www.protondb.com/

Most games just work because of Proton, yay Valve.

Otherwise, ProtonDB has info on if you need to change configs to make it work.

3 Likes

Indeed, gaming on linux feels alot easier on linux nowaydayā€™s :smiley: sometimes even easier then on windows.

I meant a topic in Manjaro forum (my question was lazy though), but this seams better. I still have problems playing some games from GOG especially, so Iā€™m going to look there. Thanks!

Edit: I still have to get Proton working inside Lutris.

Dual-boot is always awkard. I do have a very small Windows partition as a dual-boot available, but that is only for things like firmware updaters in .exe format or something like that (things you rarely need, if at all). Even when I (rarely) have to do something in a Windows environment, I will NOT reboot into that Windows partition because itā€™s just too disrupting. I simply use a Windows VM under Linux.
Rebooting into the other OS is just a major annoyance and so dual-boot is not really recommended. Also, when you have Windows installed, it does not care at all about any other OSses that might be out there. It always acts like itā€™s the only thing there is (which is also why you pretty much have to install Windows first in a dual-boot system), and so thereā€™s the risk that it will replace your grub bootloader at some point. Which is also annoying when it happens.

So for a user who doesnā€™t want to miss out on anything (meaning that a Windows partition also has to exist for those rare cases where you absolutely need to run something in it), Iā€™d suggest:

• (1st installation) Windows on a small partition (~50 GB) with only a basic configuration. This partition will be mainly used for rare firmware updates that only run from a physical Windows host, and other things that might require a physical Windows installation (are there any?). If you donā€™t care about this because itā€™s ultra rare that you need that, you can also skip this installation completely.
  • (2nd installation) Your main Linux distribution of choice. When you install it, grub will also detect the Windows bootloader and add that to the menu. You will use that system 99.9999ā€¦% of the time. You can also use that system for gaming nowadays, since something like 80% of all Windows games also work fine under Linux.
  • (3rd installation (VM)) From within your main Linux, you set up a Windows VM. You will use that WinVM for rare cases where you absolutely have to do something in a Windows environment. Because you donā€™t have to reboot your system, thereā€™s no annoyance factor here. Thereā€™s also the possibility of copy/paste and file transfers between host and VM.