Going Linux again?

Hi
i already tried manjaro on my laptop and it ended up dead and i lost all of my data, the dual boot installation alongside windows 10 corrupted windows 10, and my wifi card was not working.

I kinda want to put linux in dual boot on my main pc for a second try, but even tho i like manjaro, idk if i should try it again or go for another distro this time (unbuntu or something more popular than manjaro so i get a better experience than last time)

I’ve used Ubuntu and I think Manjaro is WAY better. Just my .02!

The dual boot situation kinda implies the need for high maintenance and issues. The most stable and carefree system I’ve experienced so far are single OS machines.

Popular does not mean better.
Better does not mean stable.
Stable does not mean simple.
Simple does not mean easy.

It does not matter what distribution or OS you run. experiment, try everything, make sure you have a solid backup strategy and learn what you want, need and the most important: What are you able to cope when things fail, and they will fail.

If you do try Manjaro again, ask questions on how to approach a problem you face on the forum using these tips.

3 Likes

How did you do that? If you had problems booting Manjaro for some reason you could always use a live usb version to get by your data and then backup it.

1 Like

Probably this

Ah ok, that is a bizarre extreme situation. I guess this is an example why not to go for a soldered -on HD.

i guess it is cuz the support for that laptop is not very good or maybe a sudden hardware failure but i don’t see why

Duel boot should work just fine, but make sure to use the checklist, missing a step or two really can corrupt the system. I do have better luck with a bare metal Manjaro without dual boot, and then use a VM for Windows 10. Just my two cents…

I’ve used all kinds of Debian distros and find them stable and work well, but not very customizable, they don’t use the latest packages, and you have to wait for them to release it since they don’t use a rolling release like Manjaro does. Manjaro and other Arch systems are just better and in general I find their users are more passionate about them.

IMHO trying to dual boot Windows and another OS (anyone) is a bit of a stretch on a 64 GB EMMC / HDD.
We all knows Windows takes up HDD space in no time. And Windows had a horrible bug which would make the search index grow to hundreds of GBs, so may be after you allocated partition for Manjaro/ Linux - Windows found the remaining space too little and messed up (could be…).
Lastly - if you have just 64 GB HDD - would suggest you to stick with a single OS, preferably Manjaro or any other LInux distro. There is nothing that Windows can do and main stream LInux distros can’t (since you have a 64 GB HDD - I dont think you play games on this laptop :slight_smile: )

Dual booting, especially with Windows, is always iffy. I’ve done it without issue, but there’s always a risk, especially with Windows updates “breaking” grub. I don’t recommend it to friends unless they’re prepared to get a little dirty. It’s almost always fixable. On my laptop I have multiple hard drives I can swap depending on what OS I need. Of course that’s hard to do when the storage is soldered to the board.

Do you definitely need W10? If you have important apps that you don’t want the bother of running on Wine, then I can understand. Otherwise I would install Manjaro & wipe the other OS. Either way, more power to you. Ruziel :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you are going dualboot, use lts release of Ubuntu or Debian.

This thime i want to try it on my main pc
-256GB SSD
-1TO Apps & Games SSD
i’m planning of creating a 64GB partiion on the 256GB SSD for Linux, and probably run windows in a KVM machine so i can still play windows games (ik theres wine and some steam games on linux but i prefer doing it this way if possible

do you think i could lose the data on the 1TB SDD by doing this ?
if not i’m going to try it out, i don’t have sensitive data on the main SSD

Unless you specifically select this 1GB SSD instead of the other and format/overwrite it during install, no.

thx for the anwser, i’ll try it out then
wish me luck :smiley:

i’ll post if i managed to make it work

You can’t run games on a VM AFAIK!
Be careful as I believe all VMs use a ‘generic’ graphics driver.
You need to boot Windows natively with graphics drivers to run games on it (no graphics intensive app will work under VM).
My suggestion will be like this:
Disconnect your data HDD.
Install Windows with say 50 or 60 GB space free.
Install and fully update Windows 10
Install Manjaro on the empty space.
Reconnect your Data HDD.
Mount your data HDD in Linux (in that way - you can save your data on the data HDD and access it from both Windows and Linux). Thats what I used to do when I used to Dual boot (but that was long time ago).

You can via GPU Passthrough, which is what I believe they were planning to do:

I recommend checking out /r/VFIO and their wiki for help on this. It’s not a easy thing to do.

I personally am a heavy gamer and I game a ton just on Linux itself, not a virtual machine. Native games, games through WINE (via Lutris), and games through Steam Proton.

Currently playing
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Final Fantasy XIV (retiring from this soon though)
  • Deep Rock Galactic
  • A Way Out [Native]
  • Bioshock Infinite (replaying) [Native]
  • Metro 2033 Redux [Native]
  • Tomb Raider (2013) [Native]
  • Remnant: From the Ashes
  • Grim Dawn (about to beat the last expansion today)
  • Wasteland 3 [Native]
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  • Pillars of Eternity 2 [Native]
  • Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
  • A Dance of Fire and Ice
2 Likes

Wasn’t aware of it.
I am 99% noob :grin:.
And mostly don’t run anything that does not run on LInux (except a few games I purchased on Steam which I guess uses some sort of Windows layer (saw it downloading DirectX)… not sure, (although I hardly play them).

Maybe good to have a thread about what people are playing and how they got it playable (if it needed special configs). Or does that already exist?