gnome-terminal: "Locale not supported by C Library" (language settings)

I have an issue with my local language settings. When I try to launch gnome-terminal, it says: "Locale not supported by C Library". For the full trace back, see here:

$ gnome-terminal &
[2] 2538
$ # Locale not supported by C library.
# 	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
# _g_io_module_get_default: Found default implementation gvfs (GDaemonVfs) for ���gio-vfs���
# _g_io_module_get_default: Found default implementation dconf (DConfSettingsBackend) for ���gsettings-backend���
# watch_fast: "/org/appmenu/gtk-module/" (establishing: 0, active: 0)
# unwatch_fast: "/org/appmenu/gtk-module/" (active: 0, establishing: 1)
# watch_fast: "/org/appmenu/gtk-module/" (establishing: 0, active: 0)
# watch_established: "/org/appmenu/gtk-module/" (establishing: 1)
# unwatch_fast: "/org/appmenu/gtk-module/" (active: 1, establishing: 0)
# watch_established: "/org/appmenu/gtk-module/" (establishing: 0)
# Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: Timeout was reached

[1]  - 2520 exit 1     gnome-terminal

$ Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: Timeout was reached

[2]  + 2538 exit 1     gnome-terminal

Here is:

inxi -Fxz                                              
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
	LANGUAGE = (unset),
	LC_ALL = (unset),
	LC_COLLATE = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_MEASUREMENT = "en_CA.UTF-8",
	LC_NUMERIC = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_TIME = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_MONETARY = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
	LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to a fallback locale ("en_US.UTF-8").

On Google I couldn't find any other Manjaro or Gnome users with the exact issue. Although an Ubuntu server user experienced the same local setting issue. There on the support forum for Digital Ocean recommended exporting language settings to /etc/default/locale which I tried. The contents of my /etc/default/locale looks like this now:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

Yet even with those settings in place, when I attempt to start gnome-terminal, I still get the issue as I describe above.

What would you people recommend I try next?

I can't help you with this issue, but I can corroborate that there is a problem with the locales, because I am seeing the same kind of thing over here in the KDE Plasma edition of Manjaro, for instance when invoking man pages. Lots of Perl warnings about unsupported locale definitions.

Perhaps this is something the Manjaro devs ought to look into, so I'll move the thread to #support-for-official-editions. :wink:

2 Likes

As a matter of fact I am running KDE Plasma as well. But gnome-terminal is one of the few gnome apps I prefer to use while running KDE Plasma desktop. I prolly should have mentioned this in my initial post as well.

No worries, as I'm seeing it happen here with non-GNOME-related things as well. It's probably a bug in the Perl framework. :thinking:

I updated my system today with ~1 GBs worth of packages. So it was a major update. It appears the issue persists. gnome-terminal is still complaining about a C library and locale settings. @Aragorn, is there any way we could re-escalate this?

Edit 1: I have set out to resolve what I thought would be a separate problem with GTK, yet I am encountering a similar C locale issue.

I am trying to make the GTK theme appear a little more consistent with the KDE Plasma theme. I found the Arch wiki guide titled "Uniform look for Qt and GTK applications" which suggests installing gtk3-nocsd-git which I did. When I run $ gtk3-nocsd gedit it throws this same C locale traceback:

(org.gnome.gedit:13134): Gtk-WARNING **: 04:49:28.475: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

I'm going to boot into Xfce and Gnome and see if the issue is still present and then report back here with an update in a few minutes.

Edit 2: gnome-terminal and gedit load perfectly on both Xfce and Gnome3 but not on KDE. Is this a bug as Aragorn initially thought? Or is this just my specific KDE/Plasma configuration?

1 Like

You can use "gtk3-classic" which is in the repo's

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark