Gnome on wayland for daily use?

gnome
wayland

So I’m thinking it’s time to switch DE and I’d like to try wayland already and if possible keep it for daily use.

I read gnome comes with wayland by default since some time now, but does Manjaro respect that or does it still install xorg-server? I mean if Manjaro Gnome comes with wayland by default or do I have to switch it in the configs?

I’d appreciate if anyone using gnome and wayland could tell me how bad is it, or if it’s good enough for daily use?

I’ll be using a RX 480 with amd-gpu so there should be no compatibility problems.

Thanks.

Works fine as a daily driver on Manjaro and Arch for me :wink: since one month - no issues

You have to switch the wayland on, I was doing it by changing
WaylandEnable=false
from false to true in
/etc/gdm/custom.conf
and rebooting, I’m not sure if that’s the best way.

I had an issue with it though. Mouse cursor was kinda slow, I could feel lag between moving mouse and cursor actually moving. Except that everything was ok and UI felt more fluid and responsive.

Edit:
Out of curiosity I switched to wayland now and seems like my mouse problem is gone.

Thanks, that’s what I wanted to hear (or read :smile:).

Doing the same thing? Switching it on from the display manager file? Or from the display manager drop down?

I guess I’ll have to try it myself.

By file, as I wrote in original post.

$ ps -a | grep wayland
1174 tty2     00:00:55 Xwayland

and

$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
wayland

So I think it’s working.

Could you explain? I’m not aware of that method.

Some display managers have a drop down menu where you choose options like the session or the display server. I know gdm have one to select gnome, gnome classic and gnome on xorg but that can be configured to change the options or not show the menu at all.

When you modify the custom.conf file , gdm show automatically the gnome session . If you have only gnome you see gnome , gnome-xorg and gnome classic …
Btw i use wayland since gnome 3.22 and now all work fine …

That’s great! Now I can’t wait, I have to install it now :grin:

What is putting me off still is that when I open e.g. Firefox or Thunderbird the space where the window is going to be drawn is black first and just moments later the graphics start to show.
That is somehow irritating -.-

From my understanding, Firefox and Thunderbird still require xorg, so the black window appears until the xorg process starts.

Yeah, because they require Xorg, mutter (Gnome’s WM) has to start XWayland, and apparently it handles doing that in a way that causes a little bit of visual glitching (It’s also possible that the visual glitching is on Xorg’s side, which is one of the reasons we’re getting rid of X…).

Can’t talk about Manjaro but yesterday testing ubuntu 17.10 with Wayland I have to start in xorg session in order to install Matlab. After that it runs ok in wayland

Rather not on its own - as wen running fully under xorg there is no such glitching. It is just when (what I learnd now) xwayland has to be used.

So to also get rid of xwayland, software must first be ported? Who has to do this? Qt, gtk, etc? Or the software developer? Or both in some cases?

Sorry, I don’t fully understand why software is dependent to xorg. I mean I thought the GUI toolkits/frameworks relay on the compositor instead on the display server/client…

Are we re-visiting this topic once a year or so?

It never seems to change: Wayland is not yet ready for Primetime. Not even in the newest Ubuntu. Or Arch. Always, the first question asked on GNOME-related help boards, is “are you using Wayland?”

It’s just not ready yet. Except for the few, the mighty, the ‘special’ people. I dunno who they are, but I don’t envy them.

Not even on fedora? They switched to wayland back on november. So are they included in the ‘special’ people group?

So what? So did Arch. But ask any of them how many still boot into it by default. Some things work just fine, but everything works under Xorg.

Graphical toolkits like Qt and GTK+ have backends that communicate with the display server protocol. Note that Wayland is a protocol, not a piece of software (although there are some helpful functions provided by libwayland). In both Wayland and X, the toolkit is in charge of communicating with the display server, and its API’s should abstract all that away, so that any program written using Qt or GTK supports Wayland, X, and whatever display servers are used for OSX and Windows.

Now, because X is so old, it also provides API’s that behave similarly to a GUI toolkit, so you can write a graphical program in pure X. Or, you can rely on a subset of the X API’s to do your windows and widgets and everything else. A browser like Firefox is a good example of this, since it doesn’t use GTK or Qt. In that case, Firefox just needs a Wayland Backend.

Basically you get little issues where an App ties directly into xlib instead of using its toolkit, and then they need to port the app, or use XWayland.

Except for security things… they only work on Wayland compositors

Care to enumerate? Of what “security things” do you speak?

And are you stating that GNOME is insecure unless Mutter/Clutter has Wayland?