gnome mpv Segmentation fault

Gnome MPV will launch than crash with a segmentation fault and libEGL warning

Version: GNOME MPV (gnome-mpv) 0.16-1
Manjaro XFCE 18.04 Stable

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

-EDIT-

Found out it was because I got a Nvidia update..

Can we please have it not use the Nvidia update until we reboot so we don't accidentally or unintentionally update without knowing one of them is a Nvidia update which resolves in having things stop working or break please?

I can understand if Xorg has a limitation and cant just unload and load the new one on the fly like it does on Windows but having it unload if there is a update and not switch until you reboot would be a better solution.

Are you using Nvidia non-free drivers and hwdec? There is problem with Nvidia 430.14.

Just updated my post, it was because I didn't know one of my updates was a NVIDIA update but no I have no issues with it now while using the 430 update after rebooting, but my suggestion would be a much better way to avoid this.

You should only get a Nvidia update with a kernel update. And we should reboot after a kernel update. If you see update-grub or mkinitcpio running at the end, that is a clue to reboot.

Yeah I agree but it shouldn't unload the current in use NVIDIA driver when you update until you reboot just like it would with kernels and not be in use until you reboot which causes stuff to temporarily break and with all the updates I had I didn't even realize in the list of stuff I had to update the Nvidia driver was one of them and because of that and being in the middle of work it broke my workflow and forced me to close everything and reboot which is really annoying

I understand that there is a limitation with Xorg and it not being able unload and reload the newest driver like Windows can resetting the display ect (I mean if there is a way that would be great) but I just find this solution especially if you are working and needing a Nvidia driver and wanting to keep other software up to date just a not so great way to do it and can break stuff or if the Nvidia card is needed will stop it working until reboot.

Nvidia is like any normal package that updates its library files. If the file needed to work with an older version gets updated, it cannot work anymore. So it is not like the kernel.

But if you are going to do system updates while you are working, you should look at the packages list first. Or just not do updates while working.

I know it is but wouldn't you agree that as a display driver for a graphics card it being updated while in use and than it no longer working until reboot is just a bad way to do it especially if it's needed, would there be a way for you guys just to have it continue to use the current NVIDIA temporarily until reboot than just switch to the newest updated driver like it normally does after reboot avoiding these breakages even if you did update it or accidentally updated it? :slight_smile:

There's a newer version of Nvidia driver, you can try to compile and install respective modules in accordance with Manjaro gitlab pkgbuilds to see if it is better with regard to your problem.
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/430.26/

I do not think it is intentional.

What you seem to want is an update that does not really update. Only downloads the packages and processes them on the next reboot.

No no I don't think that is intentional either but it shouldn't do that and think if it did it that way instead you wouldn't have to worry if it has a update or not or get in the way of workflow I mean a better example would be new users who wouldn't know this than wonder why things broke and not know they need to reboot ( this shouldn't be a issue or thing)

I think you will find most do know this, But you did not so you are the minority. lol.
Also you should never update while doing anything important, Or do you want to go back to the Windows way and reboot to install Updates. If so their are some distros that do just that guess what they are not popular. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well the only reason I didn't was because I didn't realise one of my updates was a Nvidia update, regardless if I did know and knew to reboot this shouldn't be a thing and thinking of the over all users new and not so knew to Linux like myself, this sort of thing would give a bad taste to new users and be a annoyance to Nvidia users and wanna help make the distro more seamless and out of the box/ polished like the convenience of having the driver installed and working out of the box as a example.

the only thing I am saying as a easy solution is just keep the current driver loaded into memory when updated and load the new one like Linux always does on reboot, I also never said I wanted it to be like the old Windows way I am just saying it should break stuff when updated and should wait until reboot to use the new one..

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark