Speakers and mic do not work on a fresh mate installation

I installed Manjaro Mate on a new Dell vostro 3420 laptop and I get no sound from the speakers (and no mic) as well as no sound from the 9mm jack.
I tried to read similar threads and find a solution, with no success. However, I did not try the kernel update: as I am new to linux I felt safe sticking with the latest stable version (5.15 which I have right now) and did not dare to switch to 6.*

I tried the packages sof-firmware and alsa-ucm-conf with no success. I keep seeing the Build-in Audio as disabled and the output being Dummy Output/stereo.

However, after connecting an external monitor which happened to have built in speakers, sound was working. Moreover, after connecting a docking station, sound and mic worked fine.

The latter led me to believe that the speakers themselves were malfunctioning. I excluded that by starting an other distro from a live usb and sound+mic was there.

I understand that my best solution is to wait for the stable kernel version 6.x. In the meantime, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your time.

you (probably) won’t break your system just by trying out a new kernel…and even if that happens we are here to help you out. a recent update made it so that sound doesn’t work on kernel 5.15 lts which is the default on many manjaro installation.

you can go to manjaro settings manager and install kernel 6 through a gui → reboot → press ESC and switch to it. if this doesn’t work share the output of inxi -Fazy.

Problem solved by installing kernel 6.0.5.

Thanks a lot

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.