Gnome live usb: boots, but gives a black screen

I have just built me a brand new computer and tries to install Manjaro Gnome (18.0.2 stable) from a live usb. The live boot menu looks normal and after selecting to boot gnome live, it starts to show all those messages as a boot normally does. After that, you would expect the gnome desktop to show up, but instead, it halts with a black screen and a blinking cursor in the top left corner. I have tried to boot with a live Ubuntu (18.10) usb on the same computer, and that completes the boot all the way into the desktop. Also on my old PC, my Manjaro Live usb works ok. What could be the cause of this?

Need help to be able to boot (and install), anyone please!

The new hardware:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6 GHz 12MB
RAM: Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2666Mhz CL16 Vengeance
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB
(No graphics card)

How long have you waited for the desktop to appear? I had a similar thing happen but after some 30 sec to 1 minute it magically appeared.

Make sure you have checksumed the iso and also you can remove “quiet” from the grub entry (I think this works on live usb) and see if there are any errors.
Finally you could without starting the desktop and run journalctl to see if there are any errors.

To give you some ideas see

I have waited 10min+, but nothing happens. And my usb-iso is ok.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by