Error no such cryptodisk found

Yo i am brand new to Linux i had installed Manjaro at the beginning of the year. today I turn on my laptop and it gave me this error with out letting me enter my password. Now im new so i panicked, i booted up Tails from a usb and entered the disk manager and found the Manajor partition on my hard-drive i deleted it thinking it would help me get passed this screen but it did not. what do i do now? please thanks currently using Kali to boot up and use Firefox.

I cant seem to upload an image its not allowing me, but the screen says
"error no such cryptodisk found, perhaps a needed disk or cryptodisk module is not loaded
error : disk cryptouuid/4abd5f3209744018b702411b6d0794a0’ not found.
Entering rescue mode…
grub rescue_

thats the message i get when i boot up my computer id normally be able to type my encypted password but i cant. I still have windows installed on my harddrive i want to be able to boot to it how can i do that. damn if some one here can help me please to fix this that be awesome thanks.

A couple of months is enough to find out about reading the Announcements in the forum. What exactly have you tried from this?

Have a look at the forum Search results for 'no such cryptodisk found ' - Manjaro Linux Forum

I have tried nothing because this just happened a week ago or two. im new to linux having all this code is helpful but i dont know what to do with it. where do i start? what the first step to gettiing my laptop back to work. i straight up just need help getting passed that message after a reboot it wont allow me to enter my password to continue so idk what to do. how do i go about checking /boot/grub.cfg ?

And you decided to use luks encryption? It is easy to install it that way with Manjaro, but look, you need to get familiar with that. Such major changes can occur from time to time, and you need to be tech-savvy enough to follow such instructions at least.

Might sound unhelpful, but it is time to understand the basic configurations of your systems. You would need to spend time and read documentations.

While Manjaro is a good entry point to Linux and an Arch-based Distro, it is not a handholding distro, which does everything for you.

Since you applied the update already, you would need to boot a Manjaro Live Session and chroot into the system. Then adjust the text file by manually editing it.

If you have specific questions, then ask, but don’t expect a full tutorial, which you can blindly type, and it magically works.

2 Likes

So live session you mean use a usb correct? How do i chroot into the system, and how do i get to ending the file manually? Seems like someone posted what must be done removing the dashes.

I appreciate the honesty man. I am new to linux i got my first laptop ever not to long ago and asked my self what can i do with a computer and found out about Tails and then found out about all these other linux distros. What do you recommend i learn in order to follow instructions for new updates? Like coding language?

Yes.

chroot - ArchWiki

Or you can use the helper script manjaro-chroot:

# auto-detection
sudo manjaro-chroot -a

But since you have a luks encryption, you need to unlock it, mount it and then run it like this:

# <device> could be sda1 for example
sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/<device> root
sudo mount /dev/mapper/root /mnt
sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt /usr/bin/bash

If you have more partitions, you would need to repeat step 1 and 2.

In the chroot session on the terminal, you open the file with an editor such like nano.

nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Read the links which were posted by @bogdancovaciu.

A coding language is not necessary. Just understand how to use the terminal and bash/zsh. When administering a Linux Distro, you will be able to avoid the terminal for some degree, but in most cases you get just terminal commands. It is the main and preferable way to administer the system easy and fast, because on any Distro it is 90% the same. If you use GUIs (Graphical Windows), you will soon see that the design is very different on every Desktop Environment and you have to search the options again.

The terminal on Linux is not like the CMD on Windows, which stuck at 1980 and was not improved since then. It is the most advanced tool for power users.

how do i go about mounting it? where do i get the option to enter my password. also you mentioned run it like this. so i have to mount if first before i can run it, how do i check what device or partition manjaro is installed in

lsblk -f
to find out the device name, which you’ll need to substitute in the example given:

Executing the first command will prompt you for the password.
(first for the admin/sudo password, as is usual when using sudo
then for the password to unlock the encrypted device)
The second command will then attach the unlocked device to /mnt
where it’s contents are available
the third command does the actual chroot process

There is the IT convention of <variable> to be replaced by someValue, but it can be a trap for newbies who don’t know this yet and type in the angle brackets, i.e. instructions to redirect data, which they likely also don’t know about yet.

does this affect where manajor was instaled. how do i go about choosing what device the sda ones i assume are my live usb everytime i try to unlock with sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda or sda 1 sda2 root it says not valid luks device

[manjaro manjaro]# lsblk -f
NAME     FSTYPE FSVER LABEL          UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
loop0    squash 4.0                                                             0   100% /run/miso/sfs/livefs
loop1    squash 4.0                                                             0   100% /run/miso/sfs/mhwdfs
loop2    squash 4.0                                                             0   100% /run/miso/sfs/desktopfs
loop3    squash 4.0                                                             0   100% /run/miso/sfs/rootfs
sda      iso966 Jolie MANJARO_KDE_2210
                                     2023-04-21-10-04-39-00                              
├─sda1   iso966 Jolie MANJARO_KDE_2210
│                                    2023-04-21-10-04-39-00                     0   100% /run/miso/bootmnt
└─sda2   vfat   FAT12 MISO_EFI       B25B-A794                                           
nvme0n1                                                                                  
├─nvme0n1p1
│        vfat   FAT32 SYSTEM         F4C6-CB07                                           
├─nvme0n1p2
│                                                                                        
├─nvme0n1p3
│        ntfs                        AAACC76EACC7341B                                    
└─nvme0n1p4
         ntfs         Windows RE tools
                                     F8B2C97DB2C940BC

i ended up going root and then typing lsblk -f and found another device

sdb                                                                         
└─sdb1
     crypto 1           5d6ff6ba-660e-4de3-a960-87d05b245d67                
  └─luks-5d6ff6ba-660e-4de3-a960-87d05b245d67
     ext4   1.0         e67fb766-ccd2-4a33-9b13-939e513a8d46    2.5G    61% /run/media/manjaro/e67fb766-ccd2-4a33-9b13-939e513a8d46
nvme0n1

im entering the correct password to unlock but its not working says no key available with this passphrase. do you guys recomend i reinstall manjaro on my harddrive. seems like where manjaro used to be installed is now free space.

When pasting terminal output, add three backticks ` OR 3 tilde ~ above and below the text:

text

I did it this time for you. Please do it like this in the future.

Thank you :bowing_man:

What free space?

sudo parted -l
lsblk --fs

There is a crypto disk which is already mounted. No wonder the terminal says that there is no key, because it is already in use.

Heard boss will do

When i first got this mesage no cryotdisk found i panicked booted up tails and deleted the partition for manjaro thinking it would let me bypass that screen. Now when i boot up manajaro with a usb and go to the installer where manajro used to be installed it now says free space instead of manjaro so im wondering if i messed up by deleteing the partition maybe thats why i cant find the disk that has manajaro.

I thought this was the live usb ?

Please someone help me fix this :sweat_smile:

can someone please help with my questions? or can i pay someone here to fix mylaptop. geez never should of gotten my self into manjaro. i get i have some things to read but they dont answer my question

You didn’t answer mine aswell:

“I deleted the partition”. ok, you know of what you are talking. I do not. I don’t post commands so that you can happily ignore them and just write your interpretation. Sorry, then I am out. :man_shrugging:

how can i post screen shots every time i try it says sorry cant embed image items on post. maybe i can explain my self better with pictures. and show you what i mean by free space. because when i entered the command “lsblk --fs” manjaro partition doesnt show up only the live usb. i want to be able to explain my self do apoligize if i havent been able to get my point across.

but i asked this when i first posted my question and it was never answered so i was always left with the question does it matter that i deleted the partition? i didnt ignore your commands i typed them but didnt find the device where manjaro is installed so i can mount it.

Look. You are TL0, Trust Level 0. That means you cannot post links or picture. That is spam prevention. Spend some time here, read posts etc, then you reach TL1 quickly. Secondly, pictures of text, especially terminal outputs, are highly discouraged for reasons.

And sdb (see above :point_up_2: ) is your usb drive?

lsblk shows the block devices and parted all partitions. So to get an idea of what you have, we need both. Got it? Help us to help you :slight_smile:

And it wasn’t possible to copy and paste it in code block? :thinking: You did that before.

Okay again, these outputs:

lsblk --fs
sudo blkid
sudo parted -l
[manjaro manjaro]# lsblk -f
NAME     FSTYPE FSVER LABEL          UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
loop0    squash 4.0                                                             0   100% /run/miso/sfs/livefs
loop1    squash 4.0                                                             0   100% /run/miso/sfs/mhwdfs
loop2    squash 4.0                                                             0   100% /run/miso/sfs/desktopfs
loop3    squash 4.0                                                             0   100% /run/miso/sfs/rootfs
sda      iso966 Jolie MANJARO_KDE_2210
                                     2023-04-21-10-04-39-00                              
├─sda1   iso966 Jolie MANJARO_KDE_2210
│                                    2023-04-21-10-04-39-00                     0   100% /run/miso/bootmnt
└─sda2   vfat   FAT12 MISO_EFI       B25B-A794                                           
nvme0n1                                                                                  
├─nvme0n1p1
│        vfat   FAT32 SYSTEM         F4C6-CB07                                           
├─nvme0n1p2
│                                                                                        
├─nvme0n1p3
│        ntfs                        AAACC76EACC7341B                                    
└─nvme0n1p4
         ntfs         Windows RE tools
                                     F8B2C97DB2C940BC                                    

this is what i got when i typed lsblk -f im in root and the sdb1 is no longer showing up

[manjaro manjaro]# sudo blkid
/dev/loop1: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/nvme0n1p3: BLOCK_SIZE="512" UUID="AAACC76EACC7341B" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="d2e59453-4eaa-419a-a86a-aa5c963375f0"
/dev/nvme0n1p1: LABEL_FATBOOT="SYSTEM" LABEL="SYSTEM" UUID="F4C6-CB07" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI system partition" PARTUUID="dd8b63f3-bf7a-43a8-b9bf-14dab37c63aa"
/dev/nvme0n1p4: LABEL="Windows RE tools" BLOCK_SIZE="512" UUID="F8B2C97DB2C940BC" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="452a5f22-3d93-4807-bbf2-f05c60077b3e"
/dev/loop2: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sda2: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL_FATBOOT="MISO_EFI" LABEL="MISO_EFI" UUID="B25B-A794" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sda1: BLOCK_SIZE="2048" UUID="2023-04-21-10-04-39-00" LABEL="MANJARO_KDE_2210" TYPE="iso9660"
/dev/loop3: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/nvme0n1p2: PARTLABEL="Microsoft reserved partition" PARTUUID="300f60a6-6f48-4dcf-8fc2-26417d14141d"
[manjaro manjaro]# sudo parted -l
Model: Chipsbnk UDisk (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 7731MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 2      4170MB  4174MB  4194kB  primary               esp

Model: SAMSUNG MZVLB256HBHQ-00000 (nvme)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 256GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    File system  Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  106MB  105MB   fat32        EFI system partition          boot, esp
 2      106MB   123MB  16.8MB               Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
 3      123MB   196GB  196GB   ntfs         Basic data partition          msftdata
 4      255GB   256GB  829MB   ntfs         Basic data partition          hidden, diag

Then it seems to be a hardware failure and it died? :man_shrugging:

Check sudo dmesg for more information.