Gnome is Lagging

Hello. Is have experience that Manjaro gnome is laggy, especially animations and "search"? Today I have install with Windows 10 (dualboot) on separate HDD. I don't have some beast of a PC, but I doubt it can't handle Gnome 3 DE :frowning:
Anyone experience similar?

These are my specs:

System:
 Host: nenad-pc Kernel: 4.19.42-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
 v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Gnome 3.32.1 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:
 Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: A58M-K v: Rev X.0x serial: <filter> 
 UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1001 date: 10/09/2014 
CPU:
 Topology: Dual Core model: AMD A4-4020 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 
 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Piledriver rev: 1 L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
 flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm 
 bogomips: 12773 
 Speed: 2513 MHz min/max: 1400/3200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2747 2: 2051 
Graphics:
 Device-1: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050] vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
 driver: nvidia v: 418.74 bus ID: 01:00.0 
 Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.4 driver: nvidia 
 resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
 OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 418.74 
 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
 Device-1: AMD FCH Azalia vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
 bus ID: 00:14.2 
 Device-2: NVIDIA GP107GL High Definition Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
 driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
 Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.42-1-MANJARO 
Network:
 Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
 vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8168 v: 8.047.01-NAPI port: d000 bus ID: 04:00.0 
 IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
 Local Storage: total: 577.55 GiB used: 291.68 GiB (50.5%) 
 ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD5000AAKX-00ERMA0 
 size: 465.76 GiB 
 ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Silicon Power model: SPCC Solid State Disk 
 size: 111.79 GiB 
Partition:
 ID-1: / size: 28.17 GiB used: 8.86 GiB (31.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4 
 ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:
 System Temperatures: cpu: 8.2 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 29 C 
 Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 gpu: nvidia fan: 35% 
Info:
 Processes: 212 Uptime: 59m Memory: 5.82 GiB used: 1.91 GiB (32.8%) 
 Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: N/A Shell: bash v: 5.0.7 inxi: 3.0.34 

by lagging do you mean stuttering? moving/resizing windows stutter alot for example?

gnome uses mutter for a compositor, and mutter+nvidia=stutter. theres a workaround in the AUR that others have used that works. it's optimized for nvidia to fix some of those issues.

pamac build mutter-781835-workaround
then reboot and see if that helps

1 Like

That is nowhere a true statement so why imply it, for most users unless using discreet GPU do not have any problems. I certainly do not i use animations on Gnome no stutter, no tearing, nvidia non free drivers no config file. and no work around.

1 Like

Yeah stuttering when open programs, resizing windows, any animations, anything that moves have a "shadow" while moving. I'm sorry but English is not my native language, so everything is lagging for me :smiley: . Thank you for that info. I will try it tomorrow morning. I'll let you know does it working :slight_smile:

I would 1st disable all extensions and see if that makes a difference i would also check that your cpu is not at 100% before doing any thing. if ok then add the extensions back one by one.

1 Like

I checked that and my CPU is arround 5% when idle. When I'm using Chrome or any other program it's around 30%. Only when starting a program it's jumping to 90 and then rapidly drop down to "normal usage". Even when stuttering it's around 30% (normal) cpu usage.

i implied it because that was my experience with mutter/nvidia and many others have said the same, that workaround was made to make mutter work better with nvidia.

gnome ran great when i used my intel gpu but stuttered alot on the nvidia. i guess some people notice it more than others. the same behavior with deepin which uses a modified version of mutter. but to be fair i didnt really notice how much it stuttered until i tried other de's. it's not terrible but it's certainly noticable, even more so when scrolling in browsers.

1 Like

It seems only on certain systems, and mainly discrete graphics and laptops. and the work around should of been sorted a while back any way.
I don't know but Manjaro is plagued with graphics problems.

I've used XFCE, KDE, Manjaro Deepin work amazing on mine configuration, only Gnome have stuttering so I have doubts that problem is my configuration. (I know it's a old and far away from today standards). Never had any problem with graphics on Manaro, only on Ubuntu and other Ubuntu derivations. Only thing what i do with GPU is installing proprietary drivers when system is installed.

Also I have tried Gnome DE on my Acer aspire one notebook with 2 GBs RAM and Intel Atom CPU and it's usable. Very usable :slight_smile:. Ofcourse animations are disable there, but if atom can handle it then on this PC must be something else. Tommorow I'll let you know does it working :slight_smile:

compared to arch, thats probably true. the average arch user is more experienced in problem solving than the average manjaro user thats coming from ubuntu or first time linux users entirely and need want a lot more hand holding. a good portion of the gpu issues on manjaro have to do with optimus laptops. i know i had a hell of a time when i first started using it coming from mint.

it doesnt help having to choose from 1 of 2 bad options (nouveau/bumblebee)during install, and of course nvidia users want proprietary drivers and end up needing to play around with many different kernel parameters just to get to the desktop.

edit: my bad, went OT

Yeah its normally fine but just check by turning of extensions 1st.
@dglt I don't know cause I never really had problems in 7 years with Manjaro using XFCE yep I used XFCE with Manjaro.
Nvidia I think its more with these latest GPUs or very old ones. when they get a couple of years on them Linux will catch up with Nvidia.

1 Like

I had a stuttiering issue about a year ago with my old NB and gnome3 with wayland. With X11 I didn't have that issue.

1 Like

pamac build mutter-781835-workaround
then reboot and see if that helps

I have tried that and it didn't help at all.

I have found that Gnome on wayland is far more laggy than on xorg. Afaik Manjaro Gnome defaults to xorg but worth checking?

I can confirm that my Desktop (Ryzen 1700x + Nvidia 1080TI + 16G RAM) also let me feel laggy when I using Manjaro Gnome.
I love the modern design of gnome, but now I am truly considering to change back to XFCE util XFCE 4.14 released

Ok so it's not hardware related. I'll try ubuntu new LTS version (far as I know it uses gnome 3 also) to see how it works on my hardware.

did you ever disable all extensions as @mandog suggested?

No matter if Arch, Manjaro, Fedora, Solus .... you name it - Gnome does stutter with every GPU and I suspect the core problem is because it's single threaded.
Even with the improvements in 3.32.

I can easy reproduce stutter on any hardware be it nvidia, amd or intel.

Here one case to try: Open Firefox (maximized) , press Meta, drag the mouse to the right and click on the current desktop. When it zooms in to firefox it will always stutter no matter what gpu.
Repeat it to see the effect.

Do the same without clicking on the desktop but click directly on the firefox window, now there is no stutter when it zooms in.

This.

This is like comparing apples to oranges.
Ubuntu LTS uses Gnome 3.30 while Manjaro is on 3.32 plus ubuntu does patch mutter, so there's really nothing to compare.

Ok. I didn't know it was different version, nor I'm expert in Linux, thanks on explanation.
So you want to say that there is no solution to stutter problems until developers fix it in some time?

In short yes :wink:

However @dalto already posted the best possible workaround especially if you're on nvidia.