GNOME 40 change all my settings - visual chaos

Last update when my system which I am happily running for more then 4 years, has been change visually so much that it is almost unusable. Please do not misunderstand me, I am so happy I can use the system you made so great that I prefer it to anything else. The stability and not introducing changes which disturb my work are the main reason why I am using Manjaro for many years daily.

Now when I updated last time, all this went down to drain. It may be and probably is my fault somewhere down the line, which caused this GNOME 40 update completely ruin user interface on my system.

• Background image gone
  • dock is at bottom instead of left side
  • dock is permanent instead of hiding
  • hot corners are back active
  • icons changed and are bigger
  • colors of interface changes slightly

and possible many small other things are different.

I can not work and even I invested some time to fix few things, still it is not as I had it before.

I have no idea how GNOME works and often do not really understand meaning of some terms, relations between extensions, themes, GNOME,… I was os happy when my system was not changing without me deciding on change. Now it happens and I wonder is this going to be as Win10 which changes with every update and eating my energy which I instead like to use for my work.

If there is some good soul here to help me to get back stable GNOME visual presentation, which will keep stable even when GNOME 75 will come, please do help.

Thank you in advance.
And of course, please tell me what information I need to provide in order you can help. Here are few I though may be useful:

OS Name: Manjaro Linux; Build ID: rolling
GNOME: 40.2.0
Wayland
I used to have Adapta-Eta-Maia theme applied and I set some custom fonts
All latest sw updates applied

Gnome 40 changed a lot from what you “knew”, hence a lot of extensions had to be updated to work with the new desktop design.

Open up Layout Switcher and set it to Manjaro Legacy.

Gnome 40 was tested intensely on unstable and testing branches, for almost 2 months, till it reached the point to be pushed to stable branch, yet here we are … the update got you by surprise :slight_smile:

The adapta themes got no update at least since 2019, and as all older themes, could look off with the new Gnome 40.

Working and tested theme: Adwaita-maia that now replaced in the new ISO builds the Matcha theme.

Is not necessary to have a deep understanding of the code, but at least keep up with what they announce about the upcoming changes. That information was and is still available for 4 months already.

https://foundation.gnome.org/2021/03/24/gnome-40-release/

3 Likes

hate to tell you, but gnome has always been like that.
gnome 40 is the latest, you just need to go through the settings and set it up again.
not all extensions are compatible yet.
this is a con of a rolling linux.

Gnome is known to break UI with every 6 months update. We were happy to provide a normal look for so long and managed with extensions to minimize noticeable changes. However, with Gnome 40 it changed so much, that we can’t keep all the look we had in mind for Manjaro.

So if you created your own look during the last period, I’m sorry to tell you that we can’t support that anymore.

You can download the last 21.0 ISO of Gnome to boot it up in Live-Session, so you may see what we did with 3.38 Gnome Shell back then. With the upcoming 21.1 ISOs we migrated to Gnome 40, which changed a lot.

For consistency you may change to Cinnamon, XFCE or try KDE Plasma.

Gnome 40

Gnome 3.38

1 Like

Bogdan,
thank you very much for your answer. Adapta-Eta-Maia is in my settings s I was assuming it works well. Anyway I have decided to select something which seems to be more in active development and what is close to it. I found Prof-Gnome-theme, even not being in GNOME theme selection works well and better then Adapta-eta-maia.

Layout switcher indicated that I am on Legacy still the dock been moved. I fixed that in extensions settings for the dock.

Your suggestion to keep up what GNOME announce is probably good, but my whole point to select Manjaro was stability and have it as tool to support without disturbing my work. There are already too many things to keep up with ;-).

I like GNOME from UI view, simple, fast and still nice.
Anyway I have last thing which bugs from after this GNOME 40 move.

• When I boot and I am going to log, the mouse cursor is displayed as sort of square with a sort of pattern. Once I log it is refreshed and become arrow as I am use to.
  • Together with that after log in the GNOME is in the same state as I would push ESC key. I am not sure how you properly call it. I can see all apps in overview and on top of that workspaces. This never happen after log in before. now I need to press ESC again to get it out.

Could you help me sort this out?
Thank you very much.
-r-

That might be, but some configs need to get updated to use the newer definitions, so, switch to another layout and then back to your favorite one.

Manjaro is a rolling distribution, hence will always bring the newest changes in DEs and packages. If upstream makes major changes, Manjaro can’t do much about that, but push forward.

Either an issue with the default cursor theme, or some corruption that might be related to Mesa … Never seen that before. Probably somebody else will have some hints.

That is the new look of Application Overview, where you also see the Workplaces preview. If you set Esc as your default Meta key, then what you describe is normal.
I use Win key as Meta key - when i press it once i see the opened windows and Workspaces Overview, if i press it quickly/twice i see the Application icons under smaller previews of the Workplaces.

Please share with us the output from terminal for inxi -Fazy - so we can see if you somehow are still using an old kernel that might be EOL …

1 Like

I also use Win key, but one can cancel it by ESC. What I try to convey is that display is in this state of application Overview after I log in a do nothing. I have to press ESC to cancel it. This behaviour was not before.

I am using kernel 5.10. Here is the output from inxi. interesting xommand never heard of before but nice information.

(base) [richo@rDELL ~]$ inxi -Fazy 
System:
  Kernel: 5.10.52-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.1.0 
  parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64 
  root=UUID=35fdabc1-c268-4aef-9398-5613ae63527b rw ipv6.disable=1 quiet 
  resume=UUID=8a33e39f-480e-4ad6-9c6e-9fcfba6b0988 
  Desktop: GNOME 40.3 tk: GTK 3.24.30 wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM 40.0 
  Distro: Manjaro Linux base: Arch Linux 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Latitude E7470 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
  Chassis: type: 9 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Dell model: 0T6HHJ v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI-[Legacy]: Dell 
  v: 1.21.6 date: 05/20/2019 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 47.4 Wh (100.0%) condition: 47.4/55.0 Wh (86.3%) 
  volts: 8.6 min: 7.6 model: BYD DELL GG4FM74 type: Li-ion serial: <filter> 
CPU:
  Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-6300U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Skylake family: 6 model-id: 4E (78) stepping: 3 microcode: EA cache: 
  L2: 3 MiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 20004 
  Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 400/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 802 3: 800 
  4: 800 
  Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: KVM: VMX disabled 
  Type: l1tf 
  mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT vulnerable 
  Type: mds mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable 
  Type: meltdown mitigation: PTI 
  Type: spec_store_bypass 
  mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp 
  Type: spectre_v1 
  mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization 
  Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, 
  IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling 
  Type: srbds mitigation: Microcode 
  Type: tsx_async_abort mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] vendor: Dell Latitude E7470 
  driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:1916 class-ID: 0300 
  Device-2: Sunplus Innovation Dell E5570 integrated webcam type: USB 
  driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-2:2 chip-ID: 1bcf:2b91 class-ID: 0e02 
  Display: wayland server: X.Org 1.21.1.2 compositor: gnome-shell driver: 
  loaded: intel unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa display-ID: :0 
  screens: 1 
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 508x286mm (20.0x11.3") 
  s-diag: 583mm (23") 
  Monitor-1: XWAYLAND0 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 157 
  size: 310x170mm (12.2x6.7") diag: 354mm (13.9") 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 520 (SKL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.1.5 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Dell Latitude E7470 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel alternate: snd_soc_skl bus-ID: 00:1f.3 
  chip-ID: 8086:9d70 class-ID: 0403 
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.10.52-1-MANJARO running: yes 
  Sound Server-2: JACK v: 0.125.0 running: no 
  Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 14.2 running: yes 
  Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.32 running: no 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-LM vendor: Dell Latitude E7470 driver: e1000e 
  v: kernel port: f040 bus-ID: 00:1f.6 chip-ID: 8086:156f class-ID: 0200 
  IF: enp0s31f6 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Intel Wireless 8260 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: f040 
  bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:24f3 class-ID: 0280 
  IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
  IF-ID-1: wwp0s20f0u5i8 state: down mac: <filter> 
RAID:
  Hardware-1: Intel 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] driver: ahci 
  v: 3.0 port: f060 bus-ID: 00:17.0 chip-ID: 8086.282a rev: 21 class-ID: 0104 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 128.9 GiB (54.1%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda maj-min: 8:0 vendor: Intel model: SSDSCKKF256H6 SATA 256GB 
  size: 238.47 GiB block-size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 6.0 Gb/s 
  type: SSD serial: <filter> rev: D07N scheme: MBR 
  SMART Message: Unknown smartctl error. Unable to generate data. 
Partition:
  ID-1: / raw-size: 229.67 GiB size: 225.06 GiB (97.99%) 
  used: 128.9 GiB (57.3%) fs: ext4 block-size: 4096 B dev: /dev/sda1 
  maj-min: 8:1 
Swap:
  Kernel: swappiness: 60 (default) cache-pressure: 100 (default) 
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 8.8 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2 
  dev: /dev/sda2 maj-min: 8:2 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 27.5 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 
Info:
  Processes: 311 Uptime: 5h 28m wakeups: 13 Memory: 7.45 GiB 
  used: 3.64 GiB (48.9%) Init: systemd v: 248 tool: systemctl Compilers: 
  gcc: 11.1.0 clang: 12.0.1 Packages: pacman: 1455 lib: 421 flatpak: 0 
  Shell: Bash v: 5.1.8 running-in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.3.06 

Not sure, but maybe this is relevant. I have no other option for cursor in Tweaks. Only one, Adwaita(default). I wanted to add screen shot, but I always get error that I can not insert image in reply. Strange

This is the Gnome 40 default. There are extensions available that changes the default.

1 Like

Just to be sure I understood: It always start with app overview activated after login?
If so what is the extension or tweak to turn it off?

Yes.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/4099/no-overview/

There might be others and it is integrated in some panel/dock extensions.

1 Like

I use Dash to Panel and it has a setting under behavior to turn it off.

1 Like

Thank you all for you kind help. Currently there is only one issue which is sort of cosmetic, but irritating nevertheless.
Mouse ponter is square when system boots or when I logout at the login screen. Mouse is moving and I can click. It only look like square instead of arrow. When I log it reposition at the same position as after boot or logout and changes to proper arrow pointer.
Interesting that this original position of the mouse is almost right bottom let say 4/5 horizontal from left and 1/5 vertical from bottom.

I did little experiment and switched from gdm to lightdm. After restart of my computer lightdm prompt has appeared with correct arrow like mouse pointer in the center of the screen.
When I moved back to gdm, it was back to small square (size of normal mouse pointer) and close to right bottom of the screen as before.

Does this indicate the issue is in GDM or its settings?

P.S.: I was not able to log in into GNOME from lightdm.

I have the same issue. I think this is GNOME 40 default.

Next observation after another test. I disabled Wayland and run GDM with X11, mouse cursor was ok in form of arrow, but still placed in right bottom corner as described above. I couldn’t log same way as with lightDM. May it has something to do with not complete X11 installation? I do not know.

Now I would say it has something to do with wayland (square instead of arrow shaped of mouse cursor) and GDM ( the position of mouse in corner and not in the middle of the screen).

Could somebody suggest what to look in logs or some other experiment?

I’ve got a custom install of Gnome, but my mouse cursor theme is the default one.

Have you got a fancy one? Maybe try some others and reboot to check if the issue persists.

Hi, you can have a nice (and sharp worded) overview of the changes of GNOME 40 here:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-40.html
And then see what of the following link remains tweakable with it:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-33-essential-tweaks.html

You can indeed also check out other DEs, KDE Plasma even has some kind of global themes to mimick other DEs … not perfectly, but they may provide a good starting point to find your optimal fit.

Somehow, I am where I didn’t want to be. I want to use the system which works, which doesn’t change without my consent and if I can choose to go back.

User who is using a computer as tool and not developing it.

All DE at some point have some major changes. Even KDE I guess (just not so long ago they change the application-launcher/start-menu completely, a complete redesign in appearance and functionality). But yeah from what I read GNOME might be the worst for that.

I guess the unfortunate reality is that we have to go with the flow (especially on a rolling release like Manjaro), and sometimes adapt and/or rebuild from the ground-up when thing have major changes.

Yes you are right and I understand, but:

• it should not break your user interface in a way you can not use it
  • it should be possible to roll back if you do not like it